1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Staff Announcement Regarding the DLP C2 and Enembee

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Jul 19, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Imagine being an adult and unironically using your status as 'Decent At Writing Harry Potter Fanfiction' as some kind of nuclear deterrent on a Harry Potter fanfiction forum.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If being 21+ y.o. meant you automatically had good judgement and would always act rationally, the world would be a much better place.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    21? o_O

I just imagine all the vets around here are around 28-40, lol.

Except for @Jon

She's obviously an immortal in the body of a 19yo Oppai Loli

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don’t think nmb’s actions are in dispute as being wrong. I think the larger issue (and what concerns most of us) is the liberal use of admin power when it’s unwarranted. Xiph0 didn’t have to mute/ban/whatever when Nmb was being snarky, but he did.

Honestly though, nmb’s comments sounds like something that had been building for awhile.

It doesn’t and shouldn’t turn into a debate, but I think giving Nmb the opportunity to make one post sharing his stance would be helpful.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The point was being an adult =/= rationality. Doesn't really matter what your age is. I saw some mom of 4 lose her fucking shit in Baskin Robins yesterday when the poor teenage girl at the counter accidentally charged her for an extra cup of ice cream. Like, bombarding people with soft serve level flip out.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    She should probably be perma banned from Baskin Robins.

More importantly, I'd love to know what her opinion of Darius is.

7. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

I can't claim to know enembee, but we've exchanged occasional feedback on each other's writing for the last decade, and his outreach is the reason I joined this site . . . so I must say that this feels wildly out of character for him. He has always struck me as a thoughtful and enlightened guy, and one singularly invested in the betterment of both this site and the fandom in general. I'd be shocked if on one or both ends there isn't more to this story.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  8. Mordart

Mordart Slug Club Member

Ok, what? You Lag-banned NMB on the 9th and searched for way to ban him on Discord for 2 weeks. Did you inform him of the Lag-ban? Because from Jon's picture of the button, it seems the button is reserved for getting rid of people without being SEEN getting rid of people. Clicking that checkbox like you did is essentially saying "I want him banned".

Which is fine, NMB was being a idiot, but don't try reason away your decision. Your actions in watching him, recording him, muting and searching for 2 weeks to ban him on Discord, and lag-banning him. They show yes, you wanted him banned. You didn't want the... mess this has become. Nobody did (Except perhaps NMB).

And yes, as a Mod watching him is part of the job. Your post though makes it appear you took EXTRA interest with NMB.

9. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Damn. Things have really gotten a bit strange while I’ve been lurking, working, and enjoying (most of the time, at least) being a father.

I obviously don’t know the whole story on a lot of the interactions between mods and long term members, but I’m a little taken aback that it’s gotten to this point. And speaking from a parenting point of view.. well, sometimes you have to punish yourself to fairly enforce the rules. Even if you only end up in that position because you put your foot in it a little bit.

Not knowing what else to really say, I’ll just share my opinion. Transparency is, in fairness, all we can really ask for in this situation. It is what it is.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The (only) rule we formally operate under right now is:

- Anything a staff member does will not be undone by another staff member unless your name is Raven. You can argue your case, and we frequently have that argument (Typically Jon, Sree and myself with some compromise position suggested by Raven). That was not always a rule, it was created to fix the fact that users would play staff members off against each other.

Raven alluded to the fact that I particularly take responsibility for Politics, that's in part because my first Staff position was Mod of just the Politics forum. Midknight (admin at the time) had closed the subforum because it was too problematic to moderate, and I had volunteered to mod it 'heavily' (read: Jackboot-style) in exchange for bringing it back.

Typically one or two Staff members at any given point in the site's history take point on discipline - be it banning or otherwise. Currently we have more staff handing out disciplinary actions than we've ever had in the past, but we're also handing out less total. If you've been tempbanned on the site, it was likely by a moderator and I wasn't even aware of it.

Little corrections are done all the time by the Mods without any fuss whatsoever, and that has certainly not been a norm on DLP ever. We have a functional bureaucracy that keeps us on track without putting the burden of all the work on any one person. In particular though - the messy threads are my responsibility to go mop up. My role on Staff is to make judgement calls that are hopefully roughly consistent with past calls and then mete out consequences without regard for my feelings on the person. It was Midknight's role before.

The frustration you see from some staff members in here is that it's impossible to sufficiently explain something we all know: the entire attitude and approach of staff has evolved considerably over time. It's more collaborative, deliberate and substantially lighter touch than at any previous point. The user base has aged over time and so has staff but without living it day to day it's hard to explain the ways it changed because you need the wide lens to really understand.

It took me a long time to remember this one, but I do, and I even found the PM exchange we had over it. The IRC logs are too old for me to find - lost on a previous computer - so I can't provide the exact context, but I think you were "banned" for one second just to get the User has been banned notice in the channel because it would've been funny in context.

Definitely no Discouraged, and definitely not longer than that. I believe you PM'd Raven and Raven PM'd me and asked if the intention was to keep you banned, and I was confused because I expected you to (automatically) reconnect and see you weren't.

This ties back into the not-overruling-each-other thing. If it's something temporary it's generally just straight forward to let it go away instead of staff sinking hours (sometimes over a few days) of time into an argument that may or may not go anywhere with the initial person.

I get it, but I also remember DLP (as a regular user) before the staff had any kind of coherency. It was an easily exploited mess, and people very very frequently aimed at and deliberately widened the divisions. This drama is tame compared to when those powder kegs would randomly go off every couple months.

You could not give Sree, Jon or myself enough money to walk away from an argument we actually believe in. We have and I'm sure will continue to have marathon arguments "self-policing" because while we all have long histories with each other, we are in no way unanimous (typically - nmb here being an exception).

Yup, definitely do, definitely gets used - most often by the moderators.

11. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Xiph0 literally post logs showing that things only reached that point due to nmb deliberately escalating and provoking shit? Because it it kinda feels like people want it so that they can harass mods as much as they want without there being any consequences for that sort of shit. Either that or they're still operating under some misconceptions about the timeline of events here, because I know I was definitely told what was apparently an inaccurate version at first.

It wasn't just nmb saying stupid shit to Xiph0>Xiph0 muting him everywhere and fucking with his account>C2 nuking. It was nmb saying stupid shit to Xiph0>Xiph0 punishing him only on IRC and keeping it totally contained there>nmb deciding to spend the next few weeks baiting Xiph0 and mocking him on Discord>Xiph0 figuring out how to mute people on Discord and also discouraging him on the forums>C2 bullshit.

So to me it seems like the only mistake the Xiph0 made, if you can even call it that, is the fact that he didn't wait a few hours for nmb to use the forums to continue shit himself before Xiph0 discouraged/banned him. Because outside of that it does seem pretty justified.

12. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    I don't know either enembee, Xiph0, or their history, but
    sounds like enembee expected an argument and tried to avoid it. It sounds like they argue a lot actually. I'm not at all familiar with IRC, so no clue on whether the shadowmute comment was an unwarranted jab or a pattern of behavior. The rest of their chat looked like the typical internet debate of two people arguing two different things.

As far as I can tell it's just a matter of who do you want to believe is in the right, enembee or Xipho. Did enembee talk shit on discord the day after and deserve further punishment? Maybe. The only pic is from a week later, so I don't know whether enembee fucked up there. My own opinion is that discouraging is a stupid punishment. If Xiph0 didn't want him on the site for a week, should've temp banned him.

13. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

It’s a stupid punishment outside the obvious use - ban evaders - and I don’t think anything on IRC or Discord should be reflected with forum action. Keep punishments to their appropriate venues.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    I personally think a better punishment would be to send the banned to a “prison” forum moderated by myself
    :whipped:

15. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This is big oof all around.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'd rather play in traffic.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    Great punishment then, don’t ya think?

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Your new title amuses me.

19. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

It is, and I also think it was pretty damn dishonest to refer to it as "having his settings messed with on the forums" in the OP. It's a ban, a special kind of ban you use to avoid letting spammers/trolls know they've been banned, but it's a ban.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm correcting you because you're wrong and the last thing we need in this thread is muddling the timeline of events.

Your post makes it look like @Xiph0 only Discouraged nmb after nmb had a few weeks to talk shit on Discord, when from Xiph0's own post we know that the initial "does Darius suck" conversation happened on July 8th and then:

And to be certain, nmb's post from July 10th.

So no, nmb wasn't talking shit for 10 days and then got Discouraged. Nmb and Xiph0 had their catfight on IRC on the 8th, nmb was Discouraged on the 9th.

I won't speak for nmb and what his reaction might have been to ~10 days of having the Discouragement setting checked on his account and I'm not defending anything nmb did or said, or advocating his unbanning.

BUT.

The biggest consensus that has come out of this thread so far isn't about users wanting a license to antagonize mods, or even the need for mod logs to be publically viewable so we can eviscerate the unseen work of the staff.

The biggest thing people have agreed on is that the Discourage option is over the line and if us users can make suggestions on if we draw something from this mess to improve the site, it would be to keep the Discourage option for genuine shits like the infamous plagiarist, but don't use Transfiguration Discouragement as a punishment for other members.

Not open for further replies.