1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

There's a pretty healthy library at the moment; it's got a pretty full suite of the standard nintendo games by this point, with editions of everything from Zelda to Mario Party, and it's one of the better indie platforms of recent years, from what I've heard.

It's certainly not something for you if you're not a nintendo fan, but if you are, it's well worth the price.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I take issue with calling a Nintendo console an indie platform. Nintendo is as mainstream as it gets. No other game company can boast such long running and successful franchises as Zelda and Mario.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

By "indie platform", I meant "platform hosting independent games". As in, there's a lot of indie games being released on the Switch and Nintendo is very friendly to indies. Between the constant deluge of shit-stained spunk pouring out of Steam's every orifice and Epic's general... Epic-ness, the Switch is a fairly attractive option for many small developers, and there's a bunch of good indie games on the Switch.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Monster Hunter World - Iceborne just keeps getting a better roster with every new trailer showing.

Now if they only added monsters like Dalamadur, Ahtal-Ka or Valstrax, that'd make this the best MH game.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I listen to several gaming podcasts that often tell you the top-ten best selling games on the platforms...

There are always some exceptions, but the Switch is constantly Nintendo IP dominated. I'm curious how well these indies actually do on it. Personally, I hate playing 2d action-y games on the Switch (which are a lot of indie games these days), my hands start to cramp and i cbf plugging it into my TV and using my DS4. I'll be getting Fire Emblem in a couple of weeks though.

Black Eagles ftw.

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    So I just got all caught up on the latest licensing dramas in the latest round of predatory microtransaction slot machine, sorry, football simulations.

Apparently, the Allianz Arena won‘t be in FIFA 20 because Bayern Munich entered into an exclusive agreement with Pro Evolution Soccer & Konami, and the team itself is only in the former game because EA holds a full DFL (German Football League) license. Meanwhile, Juventus Turin won‘t be in FIFA at all, thanks go a similar agreement. And while the players will still be Juve‘s, the team itself had to be rebranded as Piemonte Calcio.

It still remember the days when PES had to come up with fake names for teams and players, however I can‘t help but think that this is Konami‘s late revenge for acquiring the UEFA club competition licenses a couple of years ago. As someone who used to play FIFA a lot when I was younger, this just feels weird somehow. I won‘t buy either game – I stopped bothering with PES in 2012 and the last FIFA game I bought at full price was FIFA 16*, and that was more out of a sense of tradition than anything else – but I have a couple of friends and family members who still buy FIFA religiously every year, and all of them are Bayern Munich fans like myself. It‘s an incredibly stupid and, once again because I can’t think of a better word, weird situation.

*17 was a Christmas present, I skipped 18 entirely and got 19 reduced a couple of months after the initial release

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Recently beat Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (enhanced edition) for the first time. Tried many times when I was younger, but finally managed it 20 years later.

10/10 game

9. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    None of the shared tropes listed are exclusive to Potter, except possibly the different houses, but I only say that because I can't think of at least one other example of the top of my head. I'm sure they exist.

13. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not part of the standard magic school setting, but it's a trope from the British boarding school genre of fiction. Harry Potter brought the tropes together but didn't create them.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    True, I was thinking specifically of magic schools.

15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

FE is one of those games I'm keeping an eye on, and might make it to the list of games I'm getting for the inevitable Switch once Sw/Sh come out... Hoping it's good stuff.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    The school is a monastery run by the Church.

The houses aren't tied to the monastery, but the noble houses of the land. You get to choose which 'house' to teach and you can straight to poach everyone from the other houses (bar their leaders).

The comparison is paper thin. It's more a Persona-lite game meets Fire Emblem. More in the thread i made for it, lol. I'm playing it and love it so far.

17. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Theoretically. It'a not working for me so far, even for characters I supposedly meet the qualifications for (C Support, 15+ in the stat and C in the skill).

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Not gonna discuss mechanics much here, but that's the hard way to do it. Just spam them flowers until a sufficient bond rating (roughly 30, less if you're doing things with them and giving them gifts they *really* like, and they'll ask to join.

19. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

not gonna lie, really interested in this fire emblem. Not so interested in the price tag tho. gonna have to save up for this one.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, it was expensive af for me in Aus. Fwiw, it looks like it'll have a lot of replay value. Can't say for sure yet though.

Not open for further replies.