1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tekomandor

tekomandor Squib

High Score:
    Brian is a nervous kid from a conservative, religious household. I buy it.

2. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Alex's recklessness has bitten Brian in the ass in the past a few times. His wariness was pretty understandable, given their past, and immediately proven justified.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I don't feel like wading through 500 posts. Someone try and sell this to me in regards to what its about. I've not seen a decent review for it yet.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's a story about a girl in the States who discovers she's a witch and goes to learn magic and figure out her past. Harry Potter does not feature.

I regret nothingand wouldn't change a thing. Also, Alex!US > Fantastic Beasts!US. Not even a question.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Complex main character with well written flaws and strengths, creative worldbuilding and a plot that isn't a rehash of HP and it's well trodden path.

Highly recommended.

6. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I'm going to wait a while before actually following this new book, the short chapter length of ch.2 kinda bothered me. I've never actually followed an Alexandra Quick book before it was finished so reading as it's updated would burn me out. I hope they eventually decide to bump it up to 3 days a week release but I can understand them drawing it out honestly.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Mfw Sesc doesn't link by post number.

8. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Alexandra Quick and the World Away has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 11,959
    Updated: 2019-08-09 12:18:49 UTC
    Published: 2019-08-02 10:55:08 UTC
    Previously updated: 4 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

9. Sesc

Yeah, this is so not working. I have no idea what all the plot is even about, lol. Gotta have to re-read everything. Oh well, there are worse fates :)

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Gotta love Alex's attitude. And her apologies.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Reread the book before this. Solidified my opinion on the series. Too quality stuff ..but the plot device of Alexandra's stubbornness, recklessness and (when it's convenient for plot) lack of foresight is annoying as hell.

She gets warned against doing A. She gets upset. She does A. She gets punished, gets warned not to do stuff again. She gets warned against doing B. She gets upset. She does B even THOUGH her internal dialogue notes this is dumb . Repeat.

Really obvious in the previous book. I hope this book doesn't rely on the same plot device.

11. Majube

High Score:
    I really liked this new chapter and how Alex didn't get her way, because even halfway through I was convinced
    she was going to get back into charmbridge. So, I'm surprisingly satisfied she didn't. I feel like the next few books will be like book 7 of canon, even if she's going to a day school of some sort.
    If this had been a book ago I do think she would've kept on trying instead of catching on that she was being set up. I quite liked the scene with Larry and Cleo as well.

12. Sesc

Well, my first thought was that
    The World Away means she's going to go somewhere far, and then I wondered how I would like that. I felt very reluctant. Moving the story elsewhere would be really breaking the established story lines, I think. It's the same thing as when Harry suddenly goes to America in shitty FF, only in reverse.
    But right, needn't happen. I hope it doesn't.

13. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 17,921
    Updated: 2019-08-12 10:46:20 UTC
    Previously updated: 3 days ago

14. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Interesting conflict. Why doesn't Alex inquire as to moving to another country? Or publicizing the Elect/child stuff in another country's wizarding newspaper? Like the UK

15. Sesc

:(
    See my Spoiler. I'd really hate for that to happen. Luckily, though, the summary indicates that The World Away is more akin the The Lands Below, and not literally another country.

16. Majube

High Score:
    Yeah if Alexandra went the way of Rahkesh Asmodaeus it'd be terrible. I still think she'll end up in apprenticeship or maybe one of the other big schools. I hope the Ozark arc is long though.

17. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 23,679
    Updated: 2019-08-16 11:20:58 UTC
    Previously updated: 4 days ago

18. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Just finished rereading books 1-4 and remembering how much I love this series. There really isn't anything else like Alexandra Quick in HP fanfiction - for world-building and character development and magical theory and action and humor and consistently good writing, in a story entirely made up of original characters.

The new chapters feel like a natural continuation of the series, after the seven year gap.

It seems like returning to Charmbridge would have been problematic anyway, even if she'd been allowed, because her father has been systematically destroying all the magical schools in the Confederation with connections to the Lands Below. I wonder if Charmbridge will be destroyed too now? And where her friends would go next...

I thought for a minute the mention of New Amsterdam (another territory) in the summary could mean she would go to school there, but that's one of the schools that was destroyed in book four.

19. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 28,477
    Updated: 2019-08-19 11:32:46 UTC
    Previously updated: 3 days ago

20. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Fifth Year

Well this chapter has dealt with some of my worries;

Definitely not abroad; quite the opposite with opening a new school in Larkin Mills. Interested to see where this goes. There's obviously going to be big fallout from the Government, and I imagine that many of the students who come will be ah, different from the usual cohort at Charmbridge.

I also think Alexandra may well get a new wand that actually works for her in the Ozarks - a troublesome wand for Troublesome. I vaguely recall something about how the Ozarker's give out wands based on names (I hope I'm not making this up) and as there hasn't been a Troublesome in a long time they probably have one for her.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019