1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Mental Blocks...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Scarat, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Magnum

Magnum Banned

Harry and Hermione like each other as individuals. They're comfortable in their own skin when they're together, they laugh and kid around with each, they likespending time together.

Ginny is as a bit mean. I disliked her view of Fleur and she was basically using the other boys and she seems a bit cruel.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ginny’s character development was basically offscreen and Harry’s sudden feelings for her just came out of no where. He ignores her for five books and suddenly they’re “soulmates” and “his chest monster” nonsense. Seriously?

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The only real mental blocks I can particularly think of are regarding Dudley and Neville being canonically blond. Not sure whether it's the movies or just my own mental image, but I always picture them being dark-haired.

3. Magnum

Magnum Banned

I do admit it's my fault the topic has gone off topic and it's better not to discuss this anymore. I appreciate you enforcing the rules. I hope you keep in mind on Discord when you and your pals go of making fun of me all the time. It's shocking a mod is flaming a member everytime I post. It's seems you have something against me and I have already complained to Lord Ravenclaw about your bullying. Stop making fun of me on Discord.

I'm not familiar what woke warrior is between but it sounds like some kind of an insult.

Also why do you still keep making fun of me on Discord when I already left the site be because of your cruelty.

How did a cruel bully like you become a mod?

I do not respond to you mosty because you have no respect in my eyes. I have complained about all this to the admin Lord Ravenclaw in this PM.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Tonks is also living a completely different reality to Harry, who is a teenager stuck on a school for most of the year and she is a young independent woman with a career.

I really disagree with this, Hermione had supportive and loving parents, she had no siblings, she was a teacher-pet, we know that her family traveled a lot and it was well off and most important she had a happy childhood. Harry instead had a shitty childhood with the Dursleys shitting on him and when he got the opportunity to abandon the muggle world he took it and never turned back. Unlike Hermione who has one foot in each world.

To be fair we had need of a blonde, Fleur is french and Luna is cray-cray.

5. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Zombie please sig this.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Don't you talk shit about my girl that way.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

wait if you left the site how are you still here what sorcery is this

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I like this attempt to rerail the thread, so I'll just continue among these lines before someone gets banned.

My mental block: I can't picture Neville as being handsome, tall, and competent. In my mind his appearance is cemented as being short, a bit chubby, and kind of a doofus. I don't mind the direction in which canon took him but to me it sort of feels like it came out of nowhere in the final book that he's suddenly Chad Longbottom, Slayer of Snakes.

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

[​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    This is one of my big ones too, and I think it falls in with the "I can't see anything but Emma Watson for Hermione" problem - Matthew Lewis grew up fucking well.

To be fair though, I don't think it's out of nowhere as much as you do, BTT - From book 5 on, he's definitely seen as gaining far more confidence and competency, to the point where he's actively leading the resistance in Hogwarts in year 7, at risk of his life depending on how far you think the regime would really go.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

LMFAO. I suggest you go read a lot of older posts, dude. As someone who has been part of DLP from literally day one of the site and a former member of the staff, I can tell you this is not shocking or even uncommon. Given that the past majority your opinions don't align with DLP's views, I have one piece of advice for you:

Harden the fuck up, Magnum.

No. DLP isn't your fucking safe space. Don't like that?

If you aren't capable of that, leave. Because, once more, DLP isn't your fucking safe space

Not sure if joke or just that stupid, but it seems your too damned stupid to do a simple google search for the definition of woke. You can also call them SJWs.

Do you even fucking know what website you are on, asshole? Do you even bother doing the slightest modicum of research about us before traipsing in like this was fucking SIYE?

We are the most universally despised HP website on the internet for a reason. And I reiterate for a third time:

DLP IS NOT A SAFE SPACE

If we don't like you, we will make fun of you. And if you don't like that:

11. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I thought this thread was about memory charms, for some reason. I've been missing out.

I think somebody must have left him keyed into the apparation wards.

Magnum, you need to grow some thicker skin, buddy. If your response to criticism is, 'Why can't you all be nicer to me and agree with all my opinions?!' :(, then DLP is not for you. (Edit: ninja'd by Vash lol).

On topic, I've always had a 'mental block' about the way goblins look. The first time I saw one in the films, I couldn't believe those were the fierce creatures who constantly fought wars with wizards. In my headcanon, they're still three feet tall, but thick and burly with razor-like teeth. There's no fucking way Griphook could swing an axe.

12. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Totally agree with Vash, the site has always been seen by other HP forums as "mean", and to be fair, the site has gotten more mellow the past few years.

Everyone starts out new - hell, I imagine my first few posts were pretty terrible too, the lesson here is to learn from them, and get some thicker skin. Maybe take a few months just posting on other threads and learning the "culture" around here by lurking before getting tangled up in big debates and getting upset.

13. Magnum

Magnum Banned

I'm not here to waste my time on trolling or flaming wars. I came here because it's an Harry Potter discussion forum. I would like to know how to block Discord and certain users so I can put an end to this. I don't care if you make fun of me on Discord or whatever. It's a waste of your time. I'm not upset at the other users. I'm only upset at a moderator who from my first post has been targeting me. It is not that I am coward that I can't fight back. I don't want to fight with a moderator who has power on this site and get banned. Don't mistake
    my silence for cowardice.

And finally if any other people on Discord have a problem with me come here and say it to my face. Don't hide their in your comfort zone and say things when I have my back turned. That's cowardice.
    --- Post automerged ---
    And I don't need to harden the fuck up. It's a fucking Harry potter fan fiction site. So if you feel you have achieved something by being hard on a fanfictin site then it tells what worthless lives you lead.

14. Zombie

Thread Locked

I'm over it.

Back open for those that want to continue on topic discussion. Do not continue the dumpster fire that this has been.

15. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Ah, I knew I forgot to mention something in my original post. Transforming into other people for the purpose of sex kind of squicks me out. It seems like an invasion of privacy, so I don't feel comfortable with it in serious fics. So even those Tonks fics don't really do it for me.
    I remember there being a thread about the morality of Harry/Tonks due to age, but not about how we as readers perceive her attractiveness. And this thread is mainly about mental blocks, though I suppose it might have been asked before.

You know, I thought the title would be funny because people might think I was talking about Dumbledore placing mental blocks on Harry before they actually read the OP.

I agree with other posters about my mental perception of Neville being all wonky. I don't even picture a person when I think of him. Just a concept of a character.

I also can't picture the robes as they seem to canonically be, almost like fancier mobk robes. Only dumbledore and some witches wear those types of robes in my head. This is probably just due to my personal preferences though. I prefer long coats over the canonical robes. I also like pants. I hate the look of butts in pants though, which is why i need the long coat to cover the backside.

16. Zombie

That's a very specific peeve. Guess you've never encountered a thicc phat ass you just wanna fall into while they wore jeans.

I always pictured them looking like they did along when the PoA movie came out. Casual attire, drapey over cloak type deal.

17. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Mainly talking about men here. I remember watching Luke Cage and the villain, Cottonmouth, had this really sleek suit, but then the pants curled up around the butt as he was posing. Really ruined it for me.

18. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

smdh you can't appreciate a phat ass :(

My mental block is Harry being short. I guess people just do it because Radcliffe is short, but for some reason whenever authors bring attention to it is puts me off. I always assumed Harry was as tall as or taller than James, and in my mind that's around 6'1", though I have no idea if we're ever given any indication in canon.

The worst thing, though, is when people try and say that the Dursleys didn't feed Harry enough and it gave him weak bird bones that stunted his growth.

19. PlusMortgage

PlusMortgage Squib

Harry seem to be of average height or a bit over average from what we see in canon. I have no problem with a character like Ron moking him for his size, because Ron is supposed to be tall (taller than him) and that's the kind of stupid thing a Teen would do.
    But I'm wary of "short Harry" because it seems to often leads to :
    • VERY abused Harry (like broken bones every week and who flich every time an adult raise his hands)
    • Slash (with Harry at the bottom cause he is short you know)
    And since I dislike both trope, I tend to stay away from short Harry.

My mental block is Hermione, after pointing all of her flaws on other forums (most of the time to defend Ron's character who is bashed by a part of the community), I have some trouble to see her in any good light.