1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Sorry if this somewhat long.

I agree with you on the point that I quoted, but I was referring more to the backlash over the Apex situation and how that might specifically relate to Fallen Order.

I might be wrong on that count, but the impression I got, both from my own conversations and from discussions I observed elsewhere, was that many people who would otherwise not touch an EA game again were willing to give Fallen Order a chance.

Why? Because, even though the E3 gameplay wasn’t great, it’s a Star Wars/Respawn/single player/ no MTX game and because EA hadn’t done anything particularly egregious in their actual games for about five minutes. And now, they just had to put such an egregious scheme in the one game that earned them and their only remaining somewhat unsullied development studio some measure of goodwill.

So now, for me at least, Fallen Order was moved from the “might buy shortly after release or at first round of discounts if good” category to “will watch the campaign on YouTube and pick up from the bargain bin/second-hand later.” And I honestly feel like that’s a bit of a shame, for Respawn at least.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's your concept for this?

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    I like the concept. The update monday's idea especially. Giving people something to look forward to each week would be smart and fun. The combat reminds me a bit of the adventurequest stuff.

5. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Anyone remember No Mans Sky? Turns out the devs have actually been working away it all this time and they just release 2.0 'Beyond' update. It's actually not a bad game now, go figure.

6. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

So it only took 3 years for them to turn it into a game worth buying in the first place.

Neat.

(Not aimed at you, aimed at every game that releases with game breaking bugs or a complete lack of content every year)

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm actually less sure about this these days, if what I'm seeing from FIFA and ProEvo is anything to go by. If EA loses its domination in the football corner of the market... their shareholders will not be happy.

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That's fair. FIFA is something like 30-40% of EA's overall revenue, if I remember the numbers right.

But my point has little to nothing to do with revenue streams, and more about psychology. People play games because they want to play the game, the monetization system often has little to do with that decision. Everyone has their limits, obviously, and monetization schemes can and will turn away some portion of the audience, but for most people, as long as the game is good, the monetization needs to be pretty egregious to push them to not playing, and EA generally does a good job of finding that point for most of their major titles.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All of this. Like I said in my earlier post, EA is being very smart about how they push monetization because they know that as long as the game meets X standard, players will bitch at them on Reddit, but then keep playing. EA has perfected the art of "release with some MTX, at some point make a big push on monetization; if reaction good or no reaction, continue, if reaction bad, pull back".

It's the lizard brain. "I'll forgive THIS game because I like the good parts of it."

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So I've been flying around a bit for the last week on this, and it's amazing how far it has come, compared to its ultra-rushed and over-hyped release. The quests (what little main story ones there are) flow a bit better, there are much better explanations of things, and it feels more like you're immersed at all times.

That said, either you're going to love this, or you're not. It's definitely still a bit of a grind if you're not playing creative mode - you will nearly always be farming for something to power a piece of gear or to build stuff. The phrase "As vast as an ocean, as deep as a kiddee pool" applies still.

It's also the only game I've ever played that even comes close to how many screenshots I took while playing Skyrim - there are so many ridiculously beautiful places to see, and I think I might spend more time trying to get the perfect picture more than actually trying to accomplish anything.

11. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

If you are into picture perfect games lemme know I got a few that are just gorgeous to behold.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    Fiancée asked to go to mountains. Hooked up modded Skyrim to the 4k flat screeen for her.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, the devs recreated Rocket League in universe, scoreboard and all. Don't think it's even fair to say it's as deep as a kiddie pool.

Btw, Sony bought Insomniac. Not sure what that means as they are now (they basically already were first party save for Sunset Overdrive). I'd say they'd get an even bigger budget to make bigger games... but they made Spiderman so I dunno? Maybe they'll have enough to have two concurrent teams making Spiderman + 1.

14. Mestre

Mestre Professor

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Mestre

Mestre Professor

I wouldn't be surprised honestly... Their bribes are too lucrative.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
  18. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Not going to lie, my hype for bannerlord has died down over the years to the extent that I've more or less written it off.

I did get a chuckle at them finally putting a date for the release... and its early access.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Every year or so I'm reminded of Bannerlord, look it up excitedly, see that it is still neither released nor does it have a release date, and then forget about it for another 12 months. This cycle has repeated itself so often now, I'm surprised they're actually still working on the game.

20. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Anyone on ps4 still playing vermintide 2? Finally picked it up and it would be great to do a few runs with the dlp folks.

Not open for further replies.