1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Music: Link It if you Got it [No Embedding]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zombie, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There's funny pic threads, propaganda threads, b'aww threads, and rage threads.

Lets do a music thread that isn't "Songs of the Moment," because it doesn't always have to take you back, its just gotta sound good.

Don't embed because the last thread I started and did that, is a pain the ass to open even on highspeed.

Idris Elba does a Full Set on Radar Radio

Bionic [A Synthwave Mix]

Come on, lets fuck up our Youtube Rec's together.

2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

I'm really warming up to Edris Elba venturing into music, dude can really do it all. except play James Bond apparently

I've been listening to Kanye West's latest and best album imo, the whole album is extraordinary but my favorite songs are probably : Kids See Ghosts and 4th Dimension.
    Also this song: Chiddy Bang - "Old Ways".

edit: Forgot a song.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

10 Years - How to Live as Ghosts - This is pretty much my favorite band these days. I love how many different sounds a band can have on the same album, and while this isn't as great an example of this as some of their other releases, it's still great.

Dead Letter Circus - This is a self-titled release (their fourth) of a pretty good Australian band that I found on accident.

Karnivool - Sound Awake - Another great band out of Australia. Modern prog rock at its best, for my two cents.

5. Zombie

6. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You know, I have to be in the mood for Cookie Monster vocals, it's not something I listen to all the time. I love the instrumental work, but that type of vocals just grate on me a lot of the time.

That said, it's a ritual for me when I'm baking to listen to Amon Amarth, but I think that's because I like the stories.

7. Juggalibrarian

Juggalibrarian First Year

House of Waters - Black Mallard - Probably the best dulcimer player I've ever seen. I always try to catch them every time they pass through my area. Their bass player is no slouch either.

Sleepy Sun - Marina - My favorite psych rock band. Pleasing mix of old school desert rock vibes, heavy stoner doom-metal, and quality male + female vocals and top-notch mixing. That bit right after the like...African drum circle bit just hits like a goddamn truck and their distortion tones are always super meaty and satisfying

Noah's Boat - Jack in the Box - Just a fun little track I've been listening to a lot lately.

Pump Up the Jam (Full Crate remix) - Heard this on a top-end soundsystem at a beach-party I attended last weekend and it provoked one hell of a crowd response. Lots of fun.

Steve Miller Band - Fly like an Eagle (5am remix) - Posting the previous track made me think of it since I was thinking about remixes that by all rights should be cheesy and lame, but are actually really fun. Electronic music that's as well received on a dancefloor as it is by my 53 year old conservative christian mother is...rare.

Bixiga 70 - III - A band I found while digging around through the purchase histories of people that also bought albums I like on Bandcamp. To quote the Bandcamp description "The album shape shifts contemporary afro-funk, Moroccan cumbia, spiritual jazz, adapted afro-brazilian chants, Cuban blaxploitation, sounds from São Paulo’s Black Rio movement, Arabian dub, Malinké drumming, Angolan guitar music and traditional bamboo fife bands...They are a band that deftly searches for untracked and thrilling musical spaces to occupy. And most importantly, they are a band that succeeds in finding them."

8. Zombie

9. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I love this game. I won't post songs that everybody knows, but here are some of my favorites that I wish everybody did. Lots of 90s/00s alt-rock, shoegaze, and female singer/songwriter incoming:

Mazzy Star - My favorite band of the 90s. Everybody knows Fade into You. I like I've Been Let Down. Check out Cigarettes after Sex and Beach House if you like Mazzy.

The White Stripes - Best garage rock band ever. Fell in Love with a Girl rocks so hard. Live versions of Dolly Parton's Jolene and Hardest Button are fantastic.

PJ Harvey - Long Snake Moan. Wall of guitars and attitude. I love this song.

Alison Mosshart - The Passenger (Iggy Pop cover). She also fronts The Kills if you're into garage rock. No Wow.

TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me. Black guys in a prog rock band? This one is a banger.

Basia Bulat - Heart of My Own. Canadian singer/songwriter. She's got an amazing voice. Every note has vibrato.

LP - Lost on You (live version). She's not well-known in the US for some reason. Her voice is absolutely ridiculous.

Lissie - The Ship Song (cover of a Nick Cave classic). I like it better than the original.

I'm not a big fan of Snow Patrol/Oasis, but check out this live cover of Wonderwall at the V Festival. The crowd is fucking amazing.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  10. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Individual songs rather than mixes, but for each of these I like the whole album:

Denzel Curry - RICKY a banger that pretty much instantly was added to my gym playlist

Clarence Clarity - Buck-Toothed Particle Smashers surprisingly catchy chorus for a song on a record full of weird noises; nsfw music video

Big Boi - Objectum Sexuality sick beat

The Lonely Island - I Fucked My Aunt relatable

Architecture in Helsinki - Escapee nice bubbly up-beat song to pull you out of sadness following a breakup or the death of a pet

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My favourite band released a new single today. Last time they released anything was three years and two weeks ago.

12. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was introduced to Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes the other day, and I really like what I've heard - English punk rock.

Angel Wings
    Crowbar
    Kitty Sucker

14. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Alright, here's a bunch of soul/funk/jazz.

100s - Ten Freaky Hoes | G-Funk revival (notably does not include a tenth freaky hoe)

War - The World Is A Ghetto | Funk. Also check out Why Can't We Be Friends.

Grover Washington Jr. - Knucklehead | Funk. That sax, though. Also Mister Magic and his biggest hit, Just The Two Of Us.

Charles Mingus - Moanin' | Freejazz. No, seriously, hear me out here. It's really good. That bariton is so fucking amazing and it just gets better from there. Usually freejazz disappears up its own ass the minute they get started but this is tight as hell.

Pdwubs - You must develop a taste for... | Freejazz except some smartarse put a banging donk on it. Works very well but I'd kill for a version without the Spongebob samples.

Anita Kelsey - Sway | Jazz.

Jill Scott - A Long Walk (Touch of Jazz remix) | Jazz, but remixed without getting too obviously so. Not electroswing as such.

15. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Cigs just released a new track from their upcoming album out in a couple of months, really digging that one.

Love the watery, echo-y, ethereal synth sound so another one of my indie faves is Turn Around by the Postal Service. Same goes for I Dreamt We Spoke Again by Death Cab for Cutie. John Mayer's In Repair has a similar thing going on but with a pedal to sound like an organ.

If anyone knows the proper term for whatever that sound/sub-genre is or just more recs in that vein I'd love to hear them.

And while I'm generally ambivalent towards remixes, I find The 2 Bears' remix of Death Cab's 'You Are a Tourist' so damn cute and uplifting.

16. Zombie

17. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

18. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Thanks, Zerg. Love that new Cigs song. It's a bit poppier than some of their stuff, but that's fine. It's weird how every one of their songs sounds the same, but it doesn't get boring. I love their version of the Brooks and Dunn country song Neon Moon.

I don't know what sub-genre you're looking for, but you might like Still Corners (The Message) or Mild Orange (Some Feeling). Both bands have a similar vibe in all their songs.

Edit: Also Phosphorescent's Song for Zula if you don't already know him.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  19. Zombie

20. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year