1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"My Hero Academia" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Cyclops, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I've been looking for quality My Hero Academia fics lately, but all I seem to find is slash and harems. Are there any good fics in this fandom yet?

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ha, I was just thinking about starting this. I've encountered a couple decent ones, I think?

Just posting the most recent ones that I've found in my Follow list off of FF.net. The last couple have only recently begun, so it's one of those "Will they ever update it? Maybe!" situations.

---
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12587314/1/The-Enduring-Hero-Deku - Izuku Midoriya was born Quirkless when his dream was to become a hero like his Idol 'All Might'. But when he was told by All Might himself that he couldn't be a Hero, his dreams are slowly crushed until he was offered the chance by All-Might. But what if Izuku had a Quirk, one that would allow him to endure the hardships of life and become the greatest hero ever.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12388534/1/Against-All-Odds - Izuku Midoriya was a nobody. Crushed and humiliated, he was ready to give up on his dream. But when he gets an opportunity to be all that he wished to be, he jumps at the chance, ready to make his own Fate. Against all odds, he will fight until the very end and become who he always wanted to be: The New Symbol of Peace.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12435293/1/Dark-Light - In another time Katsuki's fist would have hit causing a bruise to form on Izuku's cheek, however at this time, at this place something else happened. What if a four year old Izuku manifested his Quirk while standing up to his friend? "Lights out"

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12551994/1/Dormant-Power - Midoriya had a dormant quirk, causing One For All to activate strangely and release a different kind of power. Because of this his entry exam turns out a bit differently than he expected and he's saved by Ashido Mina.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12569685/1/The-Emerald-Hero - "You have the ability to overcome great fear for the sake of others." Those were the words on which he was chosen. After the War of Light, the last Power Ring finds its way to Earth and finds a Quirkless boy with dreams of becoming a hero. Villains will soon learn to beware Izuku's Light.
    ---

So yeah, only found a few, but I actually only recently started looking for them. Feels like Academia has a lot of potential, fanfic-wise. Lots of jumping points and an interesting setting that's vague enough to be expanded upon greatly. And hell, with it being based on Superheroes, the crossovers are going to numerous.

Hope we can find some other good ones.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. mrkain

mrkain Second Year

I haven't read too many but liked this one.
    ---
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/8337607/chapters/19098982
    Midoriya Izuku has always been written off as weird. As if it's not bad enough to be the quirkless weakling, he has to be the weird quirkless weakling on top of it.

But truthfully, the "weird" part is the only part that's accurate. He's determined not to be a weakling, and in spite of what it says on paper, he's not actually quirkless. Even before meeting All-Might and taking on the power of One For All, Izuku isn't quirkless.

Not that anyone would believe it if he told them.
    ---
    It's a well written 150k word gen fic with a Deku that can see ghost. Updated not long ago.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12609372/1/My-Venture-into-Vigilantism-is-Complicated-as-Expected
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...pected-oregairu-boku-no-hero-academia.555618/
    Talented but rotten, Hikigaya Hachiman is almost the ideal student. Hiratsuka Shizuka tries to give him the push he needs to be better. However, in this world of justice, villainy, and the grey in-between, nothing is as straightforward as it seems.

Note: The Spacebattles link has one extra chapter.

I realize the irony in me asking for MHA fics and posting a crossover that barely features it (so far?), but I like it. Hachiman's philosophy applied to the world of MHA could be interesting.

Hachiman's quirk isn't original at all these days, but its not portrayed as annoyingly obnoxious as other fics with characters with the same power.

5. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Definitely one of the best MHA fics, if still heavily flawed. It thrives heavily on the emotional stuff, which is great, but on the other hand, has a mixture of scenes where Deku's changes are taken at once too far and not far enough. The former case is mostly when the bad guys just stop and talk to him for awhile, because...creepy? The latter case, however, is arguably worse, because so much is built around him having a 'useless' power, when...his power is fucking incredible. Like, sure, his ghosts struggle to affect anyone, but even without getting into the informational uses, they can effect him, right? When he was about to fall, Rei fucking caught him. He could have any of them pick him up and get all kinds of 'powers' as a result. He has a great power. WTF?

Also, and I fucking hate that I'm bringing this up, because Bakugou is a piece of shit and I like seeing him miserable--but Bakugou's not a piece of shit in the particular way the story goes after him for, so...?

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Found a good one called Lamarckian and made a thread for it

7. fire

fire Order Member

Imo Boku no Hero Academia suffers from the same flaw the Worm fandom does; i.e. it's all too easy - easier, in fact - for authors to pounce on the MC-has-different-power idea and take it from there, neglecting the fact that even an interesting plot isn't a substitute for real characterization and a plan for what your story is meant to do or show.

Oh yeah, and a lot of shitty yaoi. A lot.

8. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

They also tend to focus too much on the part where Bakugo/Sophia get their comeuppance and neglect everything that comes after.

Anyway, I like what I've read of the Emerald Hero so far. It's too early to really say anything but it's at least a 3-4/5.

9. weiyaoli

weiyaoli Third Year

I quite enjoyed this one.

Conversations with a Cryptid (series, 2 parts so far, ~150k words):
    https://archiveofourown.org/series/800334:
    Starts off as an exploration of the backstory for All For One and his motivations and goes in an unexpected direction (which becomes fairly obvious at the end of the first part).

There's a couple other recent fics that are fairly decent. Although since the fandom is relatively new, there's definitely a lot of canon retreading (the umpteenth reimagining of the Chuunin exam = the 1000th Sports Festival arc retread etc...).

Here's one I'd put in Almost Recommended:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/14446512 - Classes 1-A and 1-B do a joint multi-day "Heroes Vs Villains" gimmick

Some fun ideas and fun ways to use the various quirks, but the occasional typo/grammatical error drags it down slightly. It's also a little too biased, but I'm not complaining here about Bakugo losing haha.

10. thattin

thattin Second Year

Sorry I'm just bumping this to see if any good new fics have come about or emerged? I'm on a bit of a mha kick. Not sure how well some of the works suggested here hold up either tbh.

11. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I tried to read this manga and had trouble getting into it even though it sounds like something I should enjoy.

Worth reading a manga summary to try jumping into these five?

13. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

With the first fic I posted, I'd say maybe just the summary of first few chapters over the whole manga would probably enhance the experience, the Author blends the two together really well with maybe a 60-40 split of characters favouring my hero academia, also the thread surrounding the story has tons of theory crafting, sidestories, and omakes that help those less involved with the source material immerse themselves.

I'd say you don't need to know anything for the second fic for my hero academia, it's not that deep, fanon Shirou is a weird beast as it is.

14. Ceies

Ceies Squib

Just gonna do some shameless self-advertising here. I just yesterday posted my MHA story in the WbA-part of this forum. So if you want to check out MHA fics, and don't find anything else :D I'd be glad if you'd gave it a chance.

I looked at those two you just posted. The second... Well I don't know much about Fate so I didn't understand even a single sentence in the first paragraph. So that's nothing for me.
    The first seemed a lot better to me. I don't know OreGairu either. But from the start that seemed a lot better and kind of interesting. It seems to look at hero society from a different angle than many other stories and the Manga itself.

15. Neyra

Neyra Muggle

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12931998/1/Torchbearer
    In which a Mother's prayer is answered, a child's birthright is not denied to him, and his life is forever changed as a result. Features a more confident Izuku, a slightly nicer Bakugo, and a certain No. 2 Hero taking an interest. Rated M for language, violence, and safety purposes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

17. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Figured id bump this since its been about ten months since folks posted. With season 4 done, im in an MHA mood. Has anyone come across any good fics besides the ones posted here? Any new ones?

Two ive liked:

This one amused me for some reason: https://archiveofourown.org/works/13934538/chapters/32075394

Its essentially fits within canon but shows that Deku has (as the title implies) a 'scary' side. Little snipits of that.

Also this is a guilty pleasure: https://archiveofourown.org/works/19033948/chapters/45207130

Its pretty fluffy which is not my usual genre choice. And endeavor redemption (and I dont even like the guy) but I found myself getting caught up in it despite all of that. Its essentially Endeavor in his moment of death gets transported back in time to near the start of his relationship with his wife (and just touya born so far).

That said, I cant think of many other good ones out there. Anyone have suggestions besides whats been put in this thread?

18. asphyxia

asphyxia First Year

I did a quick search throughout the forum to see if anybody had posted this before, but evidently not. It's one of the best MHA fics that I've come across, but there are some things in this story that definitely won't appeal to everyone.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13224343/1/Metallurgy

The basis of the story is that Deku is not quirkless, and Bakugou is... well, fem!Bakugou. That and UA is changed from a high school into a college, so everyone is around 18 when that section of the story starts, which is at least a good change because of the romance aspect. That and three additional years of backstory means more prepared protagonists, which I personally like.

The things I like about this story: The story captures the feel of the characters pretty expertly, with a few pointed exceptions (Bakugou, arguably). There's a good bit of depth added to them and to the universe at large, especially with Deku as our main POV character, since he's such a nerd and has to know everything. The aging up of characters also transforms Deku into an underdog with potential into a powerhouse with arguably even more potential, even in the context of Class 1-A's ridiculously talented students. His original quirk is also interesting if nothing else. I also love the friendship between Bakugou and Deku in this story; the romance between them doesn't start until quite a bit after they've entered UA together. Everything before that (after they patch up over some childhood drama, anyway) is them working themselves like dogs together, preparing to and then eventually taking UA by storm, side-by-side.

The things I either don't like or can understand people not liking: The whole fem!Bakugou and romance aspect of the story. I like it, honestly, but there's some sexual stuff in there and considering the original ages of these characters, yeah, I get why some people aren't all for that. Deku's also sort of a pretty powerful gary stu type character in the later chapters (especially considering the amount of time the author devotes to female characters just sort of melting over him at times), and what difficulties he does face are either inconsequential or sort of just brushed off at no expense to him. His quirk also steadily evolves from, well, mostly quirky and harmless into something mind-boggling with its sheer amount of versatility and power. Among quirks like Todoroki's, Eri's, and One For All, I don't see it as a big problem personally.

A possible exception to this is the time when Shigaraki steals his hand from him during the invasion of UA. It's a jarring "change" from the canon storyline, and while I don't at all mind the raised stakes, I did notice quite a few reviewers kind of question the point of it. I figured it was obvious, with it being the catalyst to prompt All Might to offer him One For All in this universe since Deku wasn't quirkless and thus didn't tickle All Might's fancy in the way that Deku did in canon.

He does bounce back pretty damn quick from the loss of his hand, though. A number of chapters later and it's like it never really happened.

I found it to be a very fuckin' fun read. At worst, it's a not-so-guilty pleasure with some very strong highlights. At best, one of the best MHA fics to do it.

That's about the only suggestion I have, though. Can't say MHA has the strongest fandom in regards to fanfiction.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That Metallurgy is a solid story. If you're looking for something to read in the fandom it's worth reading. It's not perfect, and some of the internal character beats regarding the romance are pretty typical of fanfic romance, but I read it to the end and enjoyed it. @asphyxia you might think about putting it up For Review. I'd give it 3.5/5, rounding up (due to smaller fandom, rare-ish pairing, and interesting alt-power) to 4/5.