1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

D&DLP Campaign

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So mostly posting this to judge interest and possibly find others to join in. So a brief conversation about D&D came about on the discord and I mentioned wanting to play again. Paradise mentioned talks of a DLP campaign at one point as well, so I figured I'd drop a thread to gauge interest.

A few people on the discord are interested in playing, and we'd need to find someone willing to DM. I figured we could use discord's voice chat or maybe something like Roll20. Maybe a once a week or once every two weeks kind of thing.

Doesn't necessarily have to be D&D, could be Dresden Files, Starfinder, Pathfinder, Star Wars.

2. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    I'm gonna chime on in here and say that for ease of learning for new players, Dungeons and Dragons is unironically hard to beat once you're talking 4th or 5th Editions. Pathfinder is an off-shoot of 3.5e for D&D and both are a child of the complex bastard that is 3e.

If you're looking for a Star Wars campaign, there's a couple different options: D20 is older than the Fantasy Flight Games products, and has no more errata and such support, but it's based off the same set of dice that D&D uses, a 20 sided, 8 sided, 6 sided, etc. FFG is newer and so gets support still, and I think it's less complicated than the D20 system, because it uses a set of dice unique to the system. I've never played either, though, I just know they exist. I have a ton of rulebooks on my PC, so when I get home from work I'll screenshot and post a list.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’ll put forward my interest. Playing a DnD (or other tabletop) campaign with you jokers would be a blast.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also, said this on discord,”not an experienced DM (though willing to help where I can) but willing to be a player. Or if people are willing to put up with an inexperienced DM, I’d be cool with running a Star Wars campaign off the hybrid 5e.”

4. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Well, if you host the games on a weekend with a decent time for EU, I am up for it xD

but I am a newbie to D&D, I don't know if that is an issue.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, and Star Wars D20 has its own special subflavors as well; D20, D20 Revised, and Saga Edition (Read D20 Revised Revised). I think the Ideal version is Saga, which I have the rulebooks for if anyone is interested in that one. And for the other two as well, if I recall.

The FFG version looks interesting. I watched Lost Initiative (Mathas, Jesse Cox, Crendor, Maggie something or other, and I don't remember the DM's name) some of the FFG game. It looked pretty interesting. You can also jump back to the start of that playlist to see Mathas and the DM explaining how the game works for those interested.

6. Arthellion

High Score:
    Like Mestre, For anything we do would have to be weekends for me.

@Mestre Its always fun playing with newbies imo.

This is the Star Wars I’m familiar with. Www.SW5e.com

7. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

There is also one for Mass Effect. Although I've got no idea how good it is.

As for a game in general, I'd have to agree with paladin. D&D 5e is probably the easiest to get new players into. Especially with tools like DnDbeyond that make the character creation a breeze.

I haven't been a DM in a while, but if it's just about gauging interest, I'd be down to host a oneshot or two. But I'm not really comfortable hosting a game for newbies in a System I haven't played before.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm still somewhat new to DnD so I'd pass on this game but later? Yeah I might just.

I've played a handful of short Pathfinder games, one 4th, and currently taking it slow with a deliberate "learning game" with my best friend and fifth edition. Just us on an epic journey to find the ultimate secret to brewing the best beer and a third good friend as the DM.

I feel I'm finally getting the hang of it properly in this game. The others were crowded and I was more just along for the (short) rides barely holding on.

9. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I'm always up for DnD/Pathfinder/etc although time will be a factor however, especially if we try to include across continents.

10. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

I tried it about a year ago, Boy Scouts were going wild about it. I only heard about it in passing, but I figured I'd give it a try.

I liked it tbh. Just the kids at the table were dickwads.

I procrastinate a lot, and have a lot of time on my hands. I'll try it.

11. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

So current tally seems like:

Mestre, Salsa, Chaos, Vash, and myself

With Arth or lopeck for DM?

Gonna need days and times on the weekends. For every ones sake lets do it in EST? Since that seems to be the predominant timezone.

I'm pretty much game everyday on the weekends right now, but I am starting a new job soon so I'll update you guys as necessary.

12. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    Here we go. Let me know if there's something you want me to send you the link for. [​IMG]

13. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I'm also down to play, but I'm a 100% newb so fair warning.

Am gonna start with some beginner sessions a club puts on at my school, so might be best if I do that for a bit and jump in on the next campaign?

14. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I'd be interested, but I've never played D&D. The closest I've ever come was Baldur's Gate 2, and that was over a decade ago. I'd probably prefer to watch a campaign before trying my luck.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’d actually be quite interested in this. I’m a practical newb, but I’ve listened to most of critical role over the last year.

I am in NZ, but I have a relatively free schedule. So as long as it’s not in the middle of the night...

Scheduling might be a bitch here.

Edit: my vote would be for starting in DND.

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    My times for running a campaign would likely be Saturdays/Sundays any time after 1pmest.

I can run either regular 5e or the Star Wars 5e as those are what I’m most familiar with. Regardless, I ask for patience as I am a fairly new DM.

I’ve got the full ideas for a Star Wars campaign I’ve been throwing around (old Republic era) but if
    If reg 5e, do y’all want one shots or a full on campaign?

Can do the adventure paths.

17. Innomine

High Score:
    Ok, so 1pm est is 5am NZ (6am after 29 sept DST).

Earliest I’d be prepared to do is 8am ish. So 3/4pm est. does this work? If my time zone makes this too hard, no drama.

How long are sessions usually?

I’d be up for something in between one shots and a full campaign. Maybe something 3-5 sessions long to start with? To see how it goes and if we like it.

18. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I mean I've had fun with Pathfinder in the past, so I'd be interested. East Coast time zone.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Sessions can quickly become 5-7hours....but My life is far too busy to run something like that. I'd cap the sessions at 3 hours max.

Honestly, my brain is already coming up with some fun stuff where we could do kind of an origin story campaign like 3-5 sessions long that could then dovetail into a longer campaign if people wanted, but would also just serve as a nice introduction.

I can do 4pmish.

20. Innomine

High Score:
    3 hours max would be good. I’m the same busy wise. But if this becomes fun enough I could definitely reprioritise.

Oh, meant to say, can we do US Saturday? That's my Sunday? 8-11am on Monday is less fun. :p