1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Feb 2, 2013.

1. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

@Republic If you're playing with Death March + level scaling, I would absolutely argue that preparation is all but mandatory for much of the game. Yes, once you get the op build up and running you're crushing everything but this takes, I would say, a very conservative 50 hours of gameplay to get up and rolling with any efficacy, at least with the way I play. And honestly, I'd be more disappointed if there wasn't an op build at that point in the game.

@Gengar Can't speak to comparisons to BB not having played it. Again though I would argue that combat in this game really only starts to shine when you're playing on max difficulty with level scaling. Below that and yes, you're basically just dodging an enemy twice then winning.

The only thing I would argue was a letdown were the boss fights in the standard game. Those were too easy. But they dramatically improved in the expansions, so I'd argue they learned from their mistakes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Haha, and the train of dissapointment keeps rolling on:
    https://www.dsogaming.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-may-only-feature-first-person-cut-scenes/

Why in the world would I want to create a custom character then? What would be the point ? So I can see them statically standing on the inventory screen ?

Also, they say, their giving you more options to create a character, but nope you'll barely see them in the game. Which makes me think that the change in character creation was largely reactionary and it was too late to include transgendered characters into cut scenes.

Lol, these guys man. I don't know, they should just shut up about the game now, because this is getting ridiculous.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Any possible excitement the game might have generated in me has gradually diminished with every new article about absolutely irrelevant shit they kept talking as if it was something awesome and never done or never before ever promised by any game developer before. To me, it feels like CDPR is far more focused on marketing/advertising the game through every means possible rather than development.

And obviously, them cutting out third person perspective altogether from the game just makes me wonder what the fuck were they even thinking. They have touted about how deep the customization for your character would be, at least cosmetically if not narrative-wise, but what's the point of said customization if you can't view it? Having an optional photo mode, whether provided by the devs in-game or via Nvidia's Ansel, simply isn't good enough.

Not to mention, when it comes to what are supposed to be emotional moments in the game, how is V supposed to show what they feel? I doubt VA alone is going to cut it. Imagine if that moment of reunion between Geralt and Ciri on the isle of mists was solely from first person, without us ever glimpsing Geralt's turmoil written plainly across his face. There's so much more you can convey with third person perspective, and they seem to be shooting themselves in the leg here with its removal.

Anyway, this isn't even the first feature they've talked about that's been cut since last year, is it? I seem to recall them talking about V owning multiple apartments and such, but now it's been brought down to just one apartment.

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I just wish they didn't pretend it was all for the sake of Immersion. Its a completely asinine excuse.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They're not talking about the cinematic cut scenes here are they?

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

They seem to be. Apparently, there might be one or two custcene where it goes to third person, but overall everything else is first person.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who plays the Witcher for gameplay?

9. Primarch

Primarch First Year

Nothing has changed with TPP vs. FPP in Cyberpunk. This is all just due to a breakdown in communication. The game is exactly like it was originally portrayed in 2018. It's mostly FPP with some rare TPP moments.

As someone who loves to take screenshots of his characters in an ultra-modded Skyrim, I can understand the disappointment with the decision to go almost exclusively FPP. However, I also enjoy immersive role-playing, so I can accept it as long as I sometimes get to see my character from TPP... which is confirmed to still be the case.

10. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

@Arthellion I do goddamnit. I cannot be the only one who genuinely enjoys The Witcher 3's gameplay :(. The game would be about half as fun for me if the gameplay weren't as engaging as it is.

Also on the FPP memes: I'm still withholding judgment for release day, but I can't say I'm liking the idea at first glance.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm just kinda baffled why people are surprised by first-person. It's not like CDPR was at all shy about that for the last 5 years of development. The only question was whether it was entirely first-person instead of primarily.

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Im completely baffled by the idea that first person promotes immersion. Do they expect me to imagine myself (bed hair, sleepless eyes, clad in sweatpants) in the MC's place? What?

Im playing this amazing and unique dude. Let me look like him when Im supposed to be playing him.

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So we're upset that even if the gameplay is on a 12/10 level, it's all ruined because the Barbie Fashion Designer aspect has been cut out?

K.

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    Yeah I'm kinda confused at the upset. Would I prefer to play third person? Sure. But it's by no means a game breaker. There is so much to be excited about for this game.

There are tons of first person games out there that are great and I love playing.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also, I don't think the Witcher Gameplay was bad at all, but that's not the reason I played it. I played it for the story and rpg elements.

15. Wyatt Axford

Wyatt Axford Second Year

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077s-cutscenes-will-apparently-be-first-person/

Story updated and has some more specifics.

A couple things to note- if the game was developed from the outset with no 3rd person in mind, even with CDPR usual back end support for a game, I don't think we'll ever see a 3rd person option added down the line. When you know you're player is only going to see things from his characters perspective you wouldn't have to do things like lip sync animations for when the player character speaks. Reload animations would have to look good from all angles but in 1st person you will only ever see it from the one.

This, however, may add to it in other ways; Keanu's characters seems to be some sort of ghost like character that only the V see's, so they might do some cool things to mess with your sense of reality. Same goes for the hacking

Still disappointed when a game doesn't give me as many options, though. :T

16. Agayek

Sure, but like, they announced it was first person shortly after the game was announced, around half a decade ago. It hasn't exactly been a secret, and they've been pretty consistent about it all through development. I'm just a little confused why it seems to have surprised so many people, because we've already had the internet hate mobs over the issue back when they first announced it and then got over it.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So what if I've been mad about this same issue for five years @Agayek ? Is it supposed to be okay because it is known?

18. Agayek

Be mad about it all you want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Just don't act like it's new, 'sall I'm saying.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The immersion aspect is really only a part of the FPP v TPP debacle surrounding Cyberpunk. The heart of the issue is that most CDPR fans were expecting a futuristic Witcheresque sandbox, and that's just not what this turned out to be.

And all the company noise about "it's all for immersion" just makes a lot of those people roll their eyes, especially when we start hearing that they're abandoning their proposed TPP aspects. Like, it's okay to just come out and say you're sacrificing the TPP stuff to make the deep customization work, CDPR. We're not going to hate you for it. Game dev is difficult shit.

For me personally, I'm more disappointed about FPP due to the motion and response time aspects. They just really lower my enjoyment of a game. I've felt that way since the days of GoldenEye N64, and I'd say a large portion, although certainly not a majority, of Witcher / ARPG fans are in the same boat.

Most of those fans will still buy, try, and enjoy the game. I'll probably still pick it up and power through it, just like I've done with numerous other big name FPS titles. CDPR has earned that much faith.

But does this invalidate me saying I would be waaaaay more hyped for (and likely enjoy the game more) if it had been designed as TPP or OTS? Does it invalidate me saying that I think their claim of "it's all for the immersion" is utterly retarded?

No, it doesn't.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  20. Arthellion

High Score:
    I agree with most of what you're saying...but first person is more immersive than third person. You can argue that gameplay is better from third person and I'd mostly agree with you; but we live life in first person. Ergo, first person is more like real life and immersive.

If this was something they just decided, I'd agree with you...but it's not. They've said from the beginning this is mostly first person. This is a creative decision from the outset.