1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Lyons of Nirn - T - Fallout/Elder Scrolls

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Wyatt Axford, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Wyatt Axford

Wyatt Axford Second Year

Title: Lyons of Nirn
    Author: Toasterman
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: Slung halfway across the galaxy by a malfunctioning matter transmitter, Sentinel Sarah Lyons and ten-year-old Arthur Maxson struggle to navigate the strange and hostile environs of a planet undreamt of, with nothing more than their wits and a suit of T-51b powered armor to survive the wilderness of Nirn.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9492499/1/Lyons-of-Nirn

A Crossover between Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Hasn't been updated in years, but what's there is great. Most stories in both of these fandoms struggle to transition game concepts to written form and make NPC's feel like actual characters- Lyons of Nirn is not one of those stories, it's great.

4/5

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I find this idea profoundly cool. The addition of a 10 year old dead weight is concerning, but I'm definitely going to check this out anyway.

Edit: four chapters in, and this is a disappointment. We haven't seen anyone stomping around Skyrim in power armour, haven't even seen anything in Nirn from the power armour clad Sarah Lyon's perspective. I have no interest in reading any further, and there's only 24k words so even if the fic did a 180 immediately after I stopped there's scant content worth reading here.

The summary wrote a big cheque but the story did not cash it. What a shame.

2/5

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Mfw

It died before it could take flight.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I find this idea profoundly cool. The addition of a 10 year old (hopeful) badass is an additional bonus - as far as young protagonists go he's a great choice. Look forward to checking this out, mostly out of hope he'll play a role, though it's a shame that I'm only a little familiar with both fandoms/games.

Four chapters and this is alright, but I feel I'm missing things due to lack of familiarity about the worlds/characters. The prose is enjoyable enough and I get a sense of the characters, I enjoy the descriptions, not too many things making me cringe, etc. I'm interested enough to finish reading what's been published, which is only about 24k.

Bit annoyed at Arthur's reaction upon waking - I know he's ten (or twelve? author uses both) but he's meant to be clever and well trained iirc. Which maybe he is, and this is what he figured Sarah would do, but still.

I can't tell if some of the dialogue is clever callbacks to the games or just talking to talk. But there's teasing and it feels natural enough.

The 'action' as minor as it is so far, is decent.

There are a few fantastic one liners that even got a few feels out of me.

And by the end of the last published chapter I've got a feel for the characters and I'm getting invested, which I didn't expect. I like them.

Ultimately I think this is a great START to a story, and I can easily agree with OP that it's worth a 4/5. But it suffers from a condition a lot of authors have where they get their initial idea / setup written then quit writing because they don't know what comes next. This is more or less exactly what I'd want out of a crossover between these two stories. Or at least it has the potential to be, depending on where the author would have taken it (but didn't).

I'd go with a solid 4/5 if this was more than a prologue, but fuck it, I'm still rounding up to a 4/5 because this was fun. Probably should be a 3/5 though due to length.