1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Peace Talks - Dresden Files [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Not sure if I can’t find it or its gone, but I can’t find the Dresden subforum.

So Peace Talks is finished and printing should be soon.

Anyone still interested? I am interested to see how the hiatus has effected his writing and style.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel a bit fatigued tbh. Pretty sure I'll need to do a full reread just to re-orientate myself on the plot.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm definitely interested. Not sure i'm planning to do a reread though. Maybe I'll listen to Skin Game again.

Not really feeling the hype after all these years, though.

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I am definitely over it by now. It just took way too long and for the life of me, I just can't muster up any interest in this series anymore. It just seems very dated now.

Hoping its good enough to bring me back in, but my expectations are very low at the moment.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Same.

Though it doesn't help that I have this series in paperback rather than as e-books so I'd actually need to sit down and read them rather than reading at work or while walking as I've grown to prefer.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Can't say I'm excited. The world of the DF is one of my favourite fantasy settings, but I'm not engaged in Dresden's adventures anymore. Maybe if it was the last book or even the second to last. With around 8 books and no possible end within a decade, I find myself unable to be as invested in this series as I was in the past.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I’m kind of the same, generally interested and I’ll read it, but not that interested as to pre order.

Still betting this is the book McCoy dies. Death of the mentor pushing hero into final journey trope.

8. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Dresden Files is good but in the same way fast food is good. And like fast food it really needs to come quick and hot. I'll probably still read it, but the massive gap between this and the last book is going to a sledgehammer to the series.

9. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In order to recover from his hiatus Butcher is going to have to drop something relevant to the overarching plot, unburdened by shitty pop culture references, and with the next book following up shortly.

I don't have high hopes, if I'm honest. Still going to read Peace Talks. My enthusiasm has waned a great deal but I don't doubt that it'll be worth the purchase price, at least.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If there had been this gap after Ghost Story, or Cold Days, I'd probably be wavering on whether to pick it up. But I loved Skin Game, and it sounds like Peace Talks is going to be an important one, so while I'm not counting the days till release or anything, I'll definitely be getting it, probably on release day.

I've never had anything less than an enjoyable read from Butcher, even if Dresden is a cut above everything else he's written, so I'm pretty confident about this.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly the plot of the book promises to be 'big' enough that it'll be a draw for old fans who want to see all these larger than life figures politely talking smack. If PT can deliver, I think Butcher will get some momentum back.

12. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I expect to enjoy it immensely and am pretty hyped all things considered. The long hiatus also didn't bother me all that much, because Butcher's "long" hiatus is still relatively short in the fantasy circles and I don't generally actively wait for stuff anyway.

Wish he could pick up the pace back to something like Dresden every 2 years though.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I people are harsh on Butcher and the series as a whole. We were spoiled for most of our lives by Butcher's pace. Dude had lots of irl shit going on and it's understandable he found it tough to write.

I think the timing is good though, peace talks seems like it'll be the setup to push into the final stretch of the story and if he just wanted to get it right then more power to him.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm not sure how many people are harsh on Butcher because at least on DLP most are reasonable about the long wait and the cause of it. As for being too harsh about the series? It was once pointed out that it's not that it didn't have problems before. It's just when books were quickly published, the readers had better topics to write about, new events happening and secrets revealed, than what was poorly done in the previous ones.

15. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ever since Changes, I haven't enjoyed Dresden Files the way that I used to. The pop culture references are certainly a part of that in the latest book. They're still decent books, sure, just not as easily invested in. The gap between releases is definitely a part of my fading interest, I couldn't tell you when was the last time that I picked up something in the series to reread. I'll wait until my local library has Peace Talks the same way I did for Skin Game.

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The book's like 20 quid folks. That's the price of four pints of beer and helps support an author. -__-

17. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah, for me Changes was also the last DF book I really enjoyed and I am simply not a fan of where Butcher has taken a lot of his characters, Butchers (the coroner) being a prime example of that and some of his story decisions, for example how he has elevated the christian god to such an insane level. Add to that the damn pop-culture references and the fact that even after several books we still haven't reconnected with some of my favourite characters (which would have been less of an issue with faster releases) and I can't say I am hyped. I will probably still read it when it comes out, due to the series being such an important part of my teenage life but the times where I viewed it as a great series are long past.

18. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

My enthusiasm for Dresden had dropped to an all time low during the hiatus even though I enjoyed Skin Game. I honestly wasn't looking forward to Peace Talks or even knew if I would continue reading the series.

As soon as I heard that Peace Talks was finished though some of my old love for Dresden returned. I might drop the series at some point in the future, but I will continue buying the books day 1 for now.

19. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Eh, its not like the man needs our charity or something.

Its just a consequence of having a long break in between a series that was supposed to span twenty books.

The interest just diminished. I guess now its up to him and his publishers to bring back their audience and I am more than willing to be patient and wait for reviews.

20. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Butcher's gone the way of Rothfuss and Martin. Enjoying being a highly regarded author more than doing the authoring. For all Jim's talk of mortgages and muses, he cut output at one of the most critical points in the series. I did not like Ghost Story at all, and everything after has been mediocre with a cool bits scattered throughout. I haven't felt the need to re-read anything post-Changes despite having read every book prior several times. It's actually a little sad to have my passion for the series die the way its own author's did.

Peace Talks is, at least on the surface, a book whose premise I find interesting. I hope it rekindles my love of the series, because if it doesn't then this is where I drop it.