1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. James

James Unspeakable

Girl: gets naked

Harry: cries, “i’ve seen you naked i’m so sorry”

Girl: “so manly. Such love. Wow”

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i.e doormat harry

3. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I've never seen a girl consider Harry "manly" in such a situation.

4. James

James Unspeakable

Née

5. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

As in the improper spelling of the word, or using the word itself?

Also, you asked for it:

6. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

A recent one I've found is Authors describing female characters with non-traditional hair colors as -ettes ie. bluette, greenette. It can get more confusing when you don't have solid images of the characters in your mind while reading the fic.

7. James

James Unspeakable

Using it. Nonsensically. As a part of every introduction.

Also, according to the dictionary, it’s spelled correctly. :colbert:

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

The AU tag.

It's virtually become meaningless from overuse as everyone uses it, justified by the most minuscule changes (such as Harry wearing a fedora), even if the core aspects of the worldbuilding and plot remain exactly the same.

9. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

Something of an outlier here (I think)

When writers actually have good potential, their stories aren't horrible, they don't even bash, but their actual technical skills (i.e. prose, grammar, ultimate readability) aren't something to boast about.

It's why I won't read stories like Memento Mori.

10. James

James Unspeakable

Golden rule of fanfiction: You are not smart enough to write evil Dumbledore.

11. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For me, it's the opposite. I can understand someone with bad technical skills having shitty stories. It's when I see someone that does have good writing write crappy stories with bashing and cliches that I get disappointed at the lost potential. Sometimes I favourite the author and will browse through my favourited list a year or two later and see if they've written anything better.

12. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I mean I'm a real grammar nazi, but I basically had that down in sixth grade(12). Most people have bad grammar because of rational neglect- it doesn't make sense to care that much about the rules. As far as what passes for technical skills in fanfiction, you can learn that in college level English. It's not really a good indication of an ability to write good plots or characters.

13. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe I'm making myself seem more anal than I am. When I mean good technical skills, I mean "readable". You know, letters capitalised after a quotation mark, spelling correct 95% of the time, no massive blocks of paragraphs. I couldn't care less if they used "me and him" instead of "He and I" or something like that.

14. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I admit to being pretty anal, but if I keep seeing the same weird thing, like not putting periods until the end of the paragraph, I'll assume it's a British thing. I proofread for authors sometimes, but I can't help you if you don't speak Freedom English.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I first saw this sort of thing, years ago, with descriptions of Rei Ayanami.

Considering all the other things that piss me off, this fell so far to the 'harmless' end of the scale that I could never muster enough ire to actually let it bother me. Well, that and I don't read enough stories featuring people with weird hair colors for it to become terribly relevant.

Guess I'd have to read more anime fan fic... but I won't.

16. Archinist

megamatt09

17. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This means there's at least one fic out there where the author takes perfectly good normal hair colour descriptors and does this anyway. The ravenette, amberette, ombrette, ebonette. My condolences to all the brownettes, hairnettes and omelettes out there.

18. Archinist

@Palindrome

I always found that annoying but mildly curious.

Like there's brunette and blonde, but then it's black-haired, silver-haired, etc.

I guess the writers who use those terms just don't know what the right term is, or they don't care and are putting their own spin on it.

I hate most time travel stories because the author can't write a balanced story. Usually the protag is indecisive because the writer is trying to draw things out.

19. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I love time-travel stories but yeah, god damn, for some reason the vast majority of writers despise having to actually come up with a plot. Why?? Your average time-travel sees the protagonist jump back in time only to firmly lodge their thumb deep up their arse and keep it there, humming and hawing about actually getting anything done. Leading to 52 chapters of just mindlessly interacting with characters for literally no payoff. (Author's note on chapter 47: "I just love fluff!" FUCK)

What's worse is when a story has actually changed the world to the point where it can't just go through the stations of canon anymore, so as a reader you get all excited. "Wow, where's it going to go from here!" Fuck you, it goes nowhere. Yes, it makes no sense that it could even go nowhere, but that's where it's going. They burnt out all the plot threads in chapter four.

I think it's possibly a deep-rooted issue in fix-it fics. The kind of person who writes a fix-it fic does not like tension. They see canon's conflict as a series of knots to untangle, and following the journey of the protagonist wrenching at all those knots can be pretty fun by itself. That's why it's so easy to get suckered into these types of stories, after all - you're propelled on by some initial tension ("What if they discover my dark secret that I'm under nineteen polyjuice-henges?" he said. Hermione gasped as she overheard this.) and you hardly notice that it's just puttering out as all the tension gets removed piece by piece until you finally sit back, realising that the past 20 chapters have been a boring waste of your life. It's like letting your bath go cold while you're still in it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  20. Archinist

@Palindrome

Definitely in agreement.

Ty for existing, you've just given me a plot idea.