1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Feb 2, 2013.

1. IncoEnt

IncoEnt Squib

I don't know maybe it's because I'm just a big fan of the PNP Cyberpunk universe, but I'm not really disappointed by any of the recent announcements. I've never really understood the reason why the third-person perspective was so sought after. I'm still hyped for this game, and on the flip side, you can view V whenever you want by just accessing the equipment screen, or looking at an in-game reflective surface.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, that's an opinion, and one I disagree with, for reasons I've stated in a dozen threads. I do not connect with blank self inserts in most genre media on any level.

But in a video game, by giving the self insert physical characteristics with a model I can see and command, I can better imagine myself as that character.

It's the "playing with a look-alike dolls" vs "playing dress-up" argument, and it comes down to how exactly you personally immerse yourself in a fantasy.

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I'm not though?

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really see how first person being more lifelike/immersive is an opinion.

You say it's easier for you to identify with the character you're playing in third person and I respect that....but there is a difference between "identifying with the character" versus "being the character."

I identify well with Geralt/Shepard/Kratos etc. but I don't feel like I -am- those characters.

Whereas even if the story is shit, I -am- nameless grunt 509 in call of duty. I am the Dragon Born in Skyrim.

That's where fps brings immersion.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is a difference between something being lifelike and something being immersive. You are conflating the two, because your personal way to become immersed in content is in the replication of your real life perspective.

Mine is not.

/derail

6. Arthellion

High Score:
    And that's fine for your perspective for what you say immersion is...but the developers are not using immersion how you define immersion. It's fine to have that difference, but don't call them retarded because they have a different creative vision than you do.

Based on their interviews, immersion=lifelike. That's their goal. So, since it's been their goal from the beginning to make a more lifelike game, their motivations are fine...not retarded. You just have differing views of a creative vision.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Y'all are rehashing an argument that's been going on since, at least, the original Half-Life came out. The answer always comes down to the specifics of the game and the player.

It's very possible for someone who finds third-person to be more immersive to get sucked into a first person game and vice-versa; it really all depends on exactly how the game does its thing and how the player interfaces with that, and we don't have nearly enough information to say how well or poorly Cyberpunk's done it.

Personally, I don't have much in the way of strong feelings either way. I generally prefer to play Skyrim/Fallout/etc in first-person, but I never had any issues getting immersed in games like the Witcher or Mass Effect, so I'm mostly just rolling my eyes at all the histrionics. CDPR has more than earned some faith in their design chops. It remains to be seen if they'll live up to that faith, but their track record is hilariously strong. This whole thing, ultimately, is an aesthetic choice that doesn't actually have a "right" answer, so much as a "what best fits the game's design" one, and there's no reason to think they haven't thought through their decision here.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Side note, what a great way of putting it. I was also not able to see why 3rd person would be more immersive than 1st, but that helps put it into perspective.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

So multiplayer has been confirmed for Cyberpunk 2077 and already people are speculating that them focusing on this part of the game's development was what resulted in the cutting of other features.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One day we'll have a coop Elder Scrolls/Witcher type game. But it is probably not this day.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I don't care for coop games all that much, especially not in games that are supposed to be narrative heavy. I liked what Dragon's Dogma had going on, that was neat.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'm really not sure why they even bothered to add co-op to this. The whole reason to play games like this is the story and world, and having some bellend running around being distracting and forcing you to skip and/or ignore large portions of the story (not to mention the ludonarrative problems inherent to having a second player running around and actively interacting with you) is the exact opposite of conducive to that. I'm all but certainly never gonna touch it.

13. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I suspect multiplayer will be some kind of arena / training simulator etc, separate to the main game.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I hope. I hate playing with other people.

15. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With the power of mods it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be a third person mod almost instantly if the game releases with mod support (unless of course CDPR go 'no mods for you').

More than likely - they seem pretty balls deep about this being single player. I doubt they'd just easily be able to slap coop into it and make it actually work with the game's scale.

16. Wyatt Axford

Wyatt Axford Second Year

The transistion from 3rd person gamplay to a 1st person one isn't always a easy thing to do. Look up Dead island 3rd person animation on youtube and you'll see what it looks like when animation made only to be seen in 1st person are made into 3rd person.

Another example is Wavebends 1st person mod for Mass Effect Andromeda. It's okay but it still can be pretty jank at time because the game wasn't designed with that view in mind.

CDPR had a good back end support for Witcher 3, if 3rd person is really so easy that it could be modded in - you'd think the people who designed the game would just put it in themselves.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

18. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah I understand you, making a proper third person experience would take quite a bit of time.
    I was mostly thinking of a modder just moving the camera further back from where it would be, no matter how janky the final thing would look like as a way for people who want to see how they look like can see how they look like.

:(

Hopefully they do at some point with an update. Knowing CDPR they probably will.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
  20. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.