1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

She-Hulk series can be really cool, as long as it's the original version that was different from Hulk, had full control of her powers and enjoyed being green, not the current one that is basically his copy and has the same constant anger issues.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who's playing She-Hulk? If it's another tiny waif of a woman like Gal Gadot or Natalie Portman... I think I'll pass...

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Don't even know if they've started casting yet - certainly no announcement that I've seen.

4. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i thought the Lady Jane thing was confirmed?

5. Celestin

Kit Harington joins Richard Madden in The Eternals as Black Knight proving that someone in Marvel has a sense of humour.

"Next time I see you, you'll be all in black."

EDIT:
    I'm guessing it's going to be Emilia Clarke.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gina Carano could pull off the look, though I last I heard she'd signed on for The Mandalorian so she probably wouldn't be available for another small screen show.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

She's in the preview for The Mandalorian, so that's probably a good call.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Hmm... X to doubt.

Though it already looks like MCU is moving on from a single overarching megaplotline to more standalone movies (kind of what DC is trying to rebrand into--btw I would enjoy seeing the MCU do what DC is trying to do now and pull the rug from under DC). Standalone movies I could get into. See a Marvel flick once in a while if the particular protagonists interests me.

Spiderman would have been kinda essential to carry on with a second 20+ film story. Depends on how she would be introduced.

9. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Bit late to this conversation but I'm incredibly disappointed. After the lady Thor announcement, the only Marvel characters I was invested in going into Phase 4 were Doctor Strange and Spiderman.

I'll see the Doctor Strange movie, but I don't know about the others. Depends on what people think I guess. Most people I know aren't going to pay and go to the theater for what is basically a brand new universe.

10. Celestin

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Endgame was the beginning of the end for MCU. Not a drastic one, but a slow decline that will be apparent ten years from now.

It doesn't have anything to do with the quality of future films, they should continue to be a good time for viewers as long as Kevin Feige is the producer, but rather the fact that Marvel retired half of their most popular heroes and now lost Spidey. Their replacements aren't bad characters or played by less charismatic actors, but I would argue that they won't connect with the audience as much as the original Avengers for two reasons.

One, there will be too many of them. Two, they may be a part of MCU, but they aren't MCU.

Starting with the first one. While I really like how big the cast become and getting even bigger, allowing people the have a variety of superheroes to like, it also diminishes their box office potential. The original Avengers had six unique members. They're all likeable and it's a small group for people choose their favourites, focusing fans into big groups, especially when only three that actually got their series of films. You went to these films because Iron Man is the best and Captain is the second best. Thor is your least favourite, but since it's just one more film and it has elements that connect it to future Avengers you decide to check it out.

Now you like Wanda, Loki, Captain Marvel and Black Panther? You get two Disney+ series and two films. Sure, you like other characters too, but they're outside of your top10. You don't have a need to go to Ant-Man or Shang-Chi after checking multiple productions with your favourites.

You could change your decision if you consider them to be an essential part of MCU, but later phases' characters are a late addition. If MCU is as a whole a TV Show then the O6 Avengers are the main characters and for many fans they're MCU. Their films are more or less episodes of their series. The later someone appears, the more they're considered as a replacement of favourite characters in hit shows and their films are more like spin-offs. Sometimes it works surprisingly well, most often, no matter how good they're, they will be a lot less popular.

At the some time, Marvel created a strong brand by making very entertaining films and even if people will be less involved in MCU, as long as it continues to deliver a fun movies, they will choose them from among others when they simply want to visit a cinema for a recreation.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So...this is conspiracy theory level discussion atm, but I'm bored at work so...

Rumors are going around that Apple is looking to purchase Sony.

If Sony is ever purchased, the rights to Spiderman revert back to Marvel.

12. Agent

High Score:
    I feel like Apple are the kind of company that would at least make the attempt at creating their own Studio first before (Inevitably) purchasing another one.

Would they be purchasing Sony as a whole or just the Studio? Cause I feel like Apple would have more interest in everything else (Phones, servers, console) rather than the studio.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    The rumors I’ve read indicate Apple really wants a studio and needs one to push their Apple TV.

Fewer people are buying their phones every year and they need to diversify

14. Celestin

Apple probably doesn't want the whole Sony, but they may have no choice if they want the studio. Few years ago Sony considered getting rid of it, but these days it actually makes money and they even believe they can do that without Marvel's help.

15. Celestin

Spidey is back in MCU.

I can only guess that it was someone at Sony that finally counted that whatever money they may or may not make alone is just not worthy risking what they will for sure get with Disney.

16. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    And Spider-Man is back in the MCU bois.Link to the deal:

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    I may have teared up at this news you don't even know.

18. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

19. Agent

High Score:
    This does put a smile on my face.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck Sony.

Just needed to be said. Fuck 'em.