1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magic The Gathering Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Red Wizard, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

That is a pretty neat decklist. I jumped into the 12 win challenge with a monored then monoblack deck off the top of reddit and bricked hard against the green aggro ending 0-2, which made me give up on hoarding wildcards and copied your list.

New to piloting anything other than faceroll beatdown decks so it's definitely an interesting experience juggling more complex decisions, both within games and sideboarding. Hard casting Agent of Treachery feels weird as hell too.

So far I've outraced a fires deck and a golos deck, and beat Esper Stax again for realsies by taking less time on my turns and running out my opponent's clock. Goddamn, that deck is awful to face.

However, I've come across a mono blue control deck that stomped me twice, locking me down on 3 lands and then milling hard and counter spelling before I could get Fields or anything else on the field. I tried to run something similar when I tried Eldraine limited on Arena and went 2-2 with Folio coming in clutch, but to be on the receiving end of that in constructed is super feelsbad.

2. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

Haven’t faced Mono Blue, but due to how rough the Simic Flash Match and T2 Oko can be, I currently sideboard 4 Mystical Dispute. Staggering cards by a turn to protect your threats with it has won me a few match ups agains Ux Control decks.

I can also agree hard casting Agent of Treachey feels pretty odd, but when you steal 2 Field of the Dead from Golos deck off of Yarok, damn does it feel good. I have made some modificatins to the list since I posted it, but I am not sure if they are better than the original shell. Grinding it through Platnum this week, so I will keep everyone updated. Current record in Platnum is 3-1(Bo3) lost to what appeared to be the bastard child of Simic Food and Gruul aggro off T2 Oko, into 2 more Oko, then T2 Spellbreaker into Questing Beast and Hellkite. Beat 4 Color Good stuff, Grixis Fae Fires, and G/R Adventure.

For anyone who prefers Aggro I have a pretty solid Gruul list that I played to get from Gold 4 all the way up to Platnum in about 3 and 1/2 hours of Bo1.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Played monored Cavalcade to 10-2. I could have probably made it to 11-2 but I kept a bad hand the final game (with all 1 drops and no payoffs and then top decked 3 lands). Deck seems fine g1. Maybe it gets pooped on game 2 and 3. There's a bigger version too but it is also not well regarded.

Food makes aggro hard.

4. startrekfan

startrekfan Second Year

I would actually be interested, for a bit of grinding through gold.
    Right now I'm piloting a feather deck that actually feels a lot more like a Boros weenie deck, with three heroes and practically only WR Spells, for anyone who is interested. The Matchup against Golos is actually quite good as it is very fast and in the lategame the flyers can carry you trough.
    In the event I went 4:2 with a cool rakhdos knights deck with adventures. Draining an opponent for 18 for {b} is really cool. (It plays the clovers for the draining adventure)

5. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

I will post the list when I get home this evening, and may possibly even do a full write up for how the deck plays in my experience. The second part is contingent on me having the energy to do so.

Edit:
    Here is the Gruul Aggro list, I am considering switching out the Domri’s Ambush(s) for Collision/Collosus, I do not have time to test the viability of the switch this week. Also intend to switch the Brotodons out for Cindervines. I did not include a write up on the deck’s match ups/stats as I am on break and low on time. It is an excellent deck for blitzing through Gold where the level of competition is wildly inconsistent.

4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
    2 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
    4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
    4 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
    4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
    3 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
    3 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
    4 Shock (M20) 160
    3 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
    1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
    4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
    3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
    3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
    1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
    3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
    7 Mountain (ELD) 265
    7 Forest (ELD) 269

3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
    2 Collision // Colossus (RNA) 223
    2 Fry (M20) 140
    3 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
    2 Thrashing Brontodon (M20) 197
    3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    WOTC : October Ban Announcement! No changes!

Also WOTC, after receiving decklist submissions to their next major tournament: Also we are going to schedule another B/R announcement for October 21st.

7. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Field or Golos, place your bets now.

8. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Its gonna be Field.

9. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

I hope it is Golos, because then Yarok survives and I get to keep a very high win rate in Platinum. That being said I will make sure to hit Mythic before Oct 21st.

If Field goes, I think UGx food might be the strongest deck in the format. Jeskai Fires, Bant Ramp, Gx Adventures and GBx Midrange all have solid shots at being Tier One as well.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I also wanted to ask if anyone else noticed Golos decks becoming more teched for the Field mirror? If the trend isn’t just my luck of the draw, then Big Red and Gruul Aggro have a nice window to rapidly rack up wins.

10. Zerg_Lurker

Probably the case as Bant Fields is straight up the most played standard deck at 23% according to mtggoldfish. Haven't come across it more than once or twice but getting stuffed by a maindeck veil of summer is awkward. While I can't complain about winning with Fields, it has heavily distorted standard and I hope it goes away. Gruul aggro is creeping up as a solid answer but I'd rather not play in a meta constrained to curving out perfectly and winning by turn 4 or inevitably losing to a horde of zombies.

In other news, I went 2-1 for my FNM draft with Mardu Knights and coming away with my first ever promo pack. I honestly thought the format would be a lot slower with the Food mechanic and the power levels in green/black but it turns out red creatures can slap faces as they're meant too when the turn 3 Oko plays out in the pod before yours. Funnily enough, my 0-2 loss was against a redder Red deck wins with white splash for removal. If only my drafts on Arena went so well.

Highlights of the night include using Embercleave to slap for 10 alone and playing Fling (or Yeet! as the kids say) and Forbodeing Fruit as burn spells to finish.

Really made me reevaluate power ratings of the set.

11. Oment

I didn't FNM because Magicfest.

4-4, pile wasn't really unfair enough and I'd pegged it as a 4-4 pile at the start (also given skill etc), so... Pretty okay with it.

12. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

Eldraine Limited Question:

Is adamant a viable strategy in Throne of Eldraine limited? I ask because I had previously discounted the strategy as inherently weaker than Food, UR looting tempo, Gx Adventure, and the classic removal+evasion. But I have recently lost to several Adamant strategies on MTG Arena. Which leaves me to wonder, have I overlooked an entire archetype or is it a quirk of the current draft algorithm? I know U/B and U/R mill are highly viable now due to how the bots are drafting, despite being fairly weak strategies in paper draft. Look forward to hearing people’s thoughts.

On a constructed note, Yarok Field is still killing it for me, and I am experimenting with Sultai Food and a Mono Red list. Both show promise, but require a bit of refinement. Also look forward to hearing the thoughts of DLP on standard, particularly anyone who is using my Yarok list. I personally have made minor alterations to the deck definitely am interested in seeing what tech you guys have added to the deck. I know Mystical Dispute as been an absolute sideboard all star for me.

Edit:
    This was typed on my phone between tasks at work, I apologize for an incoherence that resulted from that.

13. startrekfan

startrekfan Second Year

In my experience Adamant is a bit of support for a monocolor strategy, but not really an archetype of its own. For example was I able to build a sweet mono red deck, but adamant only encouraged me to not splash black.

14. Oment

I hit a snag with the Yarok deck - one too many fast-fast decks and a bit of a bad beat, so... I switched to a Golgari Adventures list that one of the streamers I follow played.

upload_2019-10-15_23-55-37.png

Can't say I'm feeling too bad about switching. Deck is filthy. Losses to Gruul and Aristocats (x2).

As for Adamant... It seems to be a nice bonus - turning good cards into great ones, or turning mediocre into playables. I think you'd need a reason to be in a mono coloured deck - think Ayara, Torbran, or Yorvo* as the biggest reasons for them, or just a glut of good cards in one colour, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that 10/7 or 11/6 splits are perfectly valid landbases in Limited this time around, as opposed to the more generic 9/8 or 7/7/3 if you're splashing for one or two cards.

*Linden, as per White's usual Limited suckage, is just not a very good card, and Gadwick is perfectly fine in a two-colour, albeit lopsided towards blue. You lose some amount of tapping utility, but the format feels slow enough that casting him for X=0 is just a waste, which means you don't need/want UUU on Turn 3 anyway.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

Field of the Dead banned.

It is time for the reign of Oko/Simic Food. Depending on the prevalence of U/Gx strategies Main Bord Mystical Dispute May be called for. I am also considering running U/G flash, in a Food/Fires heavy meta it seems like a solid anti-meta call.

16. Zerg_Lurker

:shocked Pikachu:
    Long live the Field, the Field of the Dead is Dead.
    Turn 1 goose into turn 2 Oko into turn to elks is so consistently obnoxious to play against and I wish Oko would have gone with Field but it'll never happen.

I've been back to jamming mono red and black and dropping that gold on drafts that lose to Lucky Clover/Merfolk Secretkeeper shit.
    I hope they implement real draft pools on Arena at some point instead of incrementally unfucking the bots.

Might be time to dust off the old Walls & High Alert control memedeck.

17. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

I have learned in Draft my best options are to force Mill or force a deck fast enough to kill it. The Arena bots lead to a weird and warped limited format.

As far as standard goes, I have had some success with Mono Red Thorban as well. I cut most the 1 drops as it did not slow my clock too much to do so and gave me a lot more legs in the late game. I am considering re-adding the 1 drop knights and finding room for a few of the 3/1 adventure knights.

Simic Flash has showed solid results, but feels pretty bad when aggro is on the play and curving out well, but most non-Oko decks feel equally bad in the scenario.

With field going, I have started to tinker with control shells again, Esper feels the most natural, but the 3 mana slot is painfully contested. I am also trying to settle on how many Narsets I want mainboard given Esper’s current mana base, and the competition for slots at that spot in the curve(Murderous Rider, Oath of Kaya, Mystical Dispute, etc). Despite all the things in flux for the deck, it has felt good, even on the build o accidentally forgot to put Oath in. In a week I will probably post my findings on the meta, though between excessive overtime and moving, my time to test will be sadly limited.

18. Medfly

Medfly Second Year

What does everyone intend to play for the Brawl event? I am leaning towards an Esper deck, but I am not sure I like the artifact/enchantment based commander, especially as Dance of the Manse if the only way I can think of in standard to convert enchantments into creatures. If I don’t go Esper, Jeskai is looks like it could be pretty strong, especially with its Planeswalker suite.

19. Oment

[​IMG]

5-3. Is it good? Not overly, it's quite unrefined. I spent maybe 20 minutes throwing it together including some late additions.

20. Zerg_Lurker

There's no loss dropout so I just ran full retard Krenko Red to get all the rewards, W/L rate was like 40% but it was fast. Scooped against Oko commanders and persistent petitioners because those are just anti-fun and now I've thrown together some Emry artifact jank to try and see how goofy the combos can be. Threw a Mirrormade on a 7 counter Midnight Clock and repeatedly recurred Scalding Cauldron as really expensive and inefficient removal but had my Meteor Golem stolen and lost before I could draw more mana rocks and flood harder.

Brawl's decent fun but Oko remains a party pooper.