1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Why? Genuinely curious as I've seen that opinion even after so many other superhero movies have been released in the past 15 years.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Mixture of nostalgia and it being a legitimately great movie.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Nostalgia certainly plays a part, but it's paced well, acted well, shot beautifully and I loved the story. Not to mention Alfred Molina being goddamned magnificent as Doc Ock.

4. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be honest, it was really Tobey Maquire. His Peter Parker was perhaps a few too many shades into "geek". Yeah, I know, that's the character but he was literally far too "geeky". Plus, when in the costume, his Spider-Man didn't come off confident/cocky enough (As the character is in the comics).

And the whole plot with Harry where he thinks Spider-Man killed his dad is extremely cliche though probably wasn't considered a cliche at the time.

Mary Jane had literally no personality (Though to be fair she doesn't really have one in the comics). It reminded me too much of the stereotypical "nerd gets the girl" Teen Movies.

Even in comparison to other ASM fans, I actually like ASM2 more than ASM1 (Though I still like the latter quite a bit). Most of it, as @Shinysavage said is the chemistry between Stone and Garfield. The initial interactions are pretty much one of the two ways teen boys act around girls they like (The other being to act overly macho/alpha male).

Best part is that in comparison to the the first series, Peter and Gwen didn't seem like they were "in love". They just seemed like a standard young couple who like each other with the potential for love later.

Some argue that Garfield's Peter wasn't enough of a loser. I disagree. Being a loser or unpopular in School is different now than it was in 2002. Look at the MCU. Flash is actually relatively smart but Peter is still unpopular. Smart kids don't get bullied as much these days. But Garfield? The guy that's trying to pull off the Skater Boy look in 2012? Yeah, he's going to be unpopular.

Garfield is also extremely fun to watch in the suit. His Peter looks like he's actually having fun whereas Maguire's sees it as a "duty".

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    First trailer for Black Widow. I hadn't realised Rachel Weisz was in it - I'm very intrigued to see what she and Florence Pugh bring to the MCU.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They had me at red-head ScaJo.

While not as perfect as the red curls of Ironman 2 Black Widow, this'll do.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I kinda hope the whole movie is a flashback as she's falling to her death / maybe-not-death.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You make me sad. Let a movie about superhuman superspies just be a story about superhuman superspies. The last one the MCU did (Winter Soldier) turned out to be one of the best MCU movies.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I don't see why it still couldn't be that? If you've ever read any of the avengers comics you'd know that dying tragically is basically Black Widow's main schtick. I won't spoil anything, but thanks to russian Red Room shenanigans, there are contingencies for her death.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    I mean yeah, I know comic books kill off and bring back characters all the time, but I had the impression (as much as I could get second hand and from browsing wikis a bit) that the MCU tones down the more fantastical aspects of the source material, at least in Earth-based movies.

Another thing is that while I do very much like the character of Black Widow in the MCU and think she and Hawkeye deserved more screentime (a teamup movie somewhere between Avengers shenanigans perhaps), I think her and Tony's deaths being permanent in the MCU gives it weight, makes the Infinity War story mean something, because the victory cost us (the audience) those two beloved characters.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just a fun image that's getting me psyched

[​IMG]

Also Black Widow Trailer

--- Post automerged ---
    Also looks like Venom and Morbius are offically part of MCU

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    Has it been confirmed that Michael Keaton is playing Toomes in Morbius?

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Main villain looking to be taskmaster.

Is it bad I hope they don't kill him off?

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    Think of the best MCU villains. How many of them were in only one movie? Think of the bad ones. How many of those were in just one?

If the MCU would try something like they did with Loki and Bucky, I'd be on board for whatever Phase it's in now. Black Widow looks a lot like Winter Soldier, so I'm sold on seeing it anyway, but tbh not much else of the post-Iron Man MCU grabs my interest. The wikipedia page for Taskmaster says he's sometimes an antihero, so I'm hoping he'll be good in the movie and stick around after.

Also, want more Vulture.

15. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Holy shit.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know how the hell he managed to continue filming while going through chemo. The most effective treatment for it will absolutely kick your ass no matter what, and I can't imagine they didn't put him on that. What a hero.

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Tatiana Maslany is going to play She-Hulk and Jonathan Majors is going to play Kang the Conqueror. Both actors aren't really familiar to me, but the Internet says they're good and Marvel has yet to make a mistake with their biggest characters.

People are speculating that Kang is planned to be the next big villain, but I doubt that. As good as he is, Marvel has two better characters to play that role in Doctor Doom and Galactus.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Variety are reporting this as her being near a deal rather than it being a done thing, but if she does take the role, it might just push me to sign up for Disney+. She wouldn't have been on my radar for She-Hulk at all, but she was incredible in what I saw of Orphan Black.

Similarly, as far as I can see, Majors has definitely been cast, but nothing official about who he'll be playing. Not really familiar with him or the character, to be honest, but Kang does sound pretty cool, main villain of the franchise or not.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Maslany's a great pick. Orphan Black got real dumb towards the end, but that wasn't on her. She's an absolutely spectacular actress.