1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you binge a fandom?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Thaumologist, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As the title asks - how much do you binge in a fandom? Do you only read a single fandom at a time, to the point that you let other updates languish in your inbox? Or do you flit from one to another, never staying within the same fandom/media type for more than one in a row?

Do you even binge fanfic, regardless of fandom? I still read published fiction now and then, but most of my reading time is at work, so I can't read a book at my desk, which limits me a bit.

For me, it depends on which site I'm reading on:

On FFN, I tend to stick with a single fandom at a time, but that's more due to how I find stories to read in the first place - reading all of an author's work, and then bouncing through the favourites to see if any of the stuff they like is any good; and generally most authors will stick to writing in a few fandoms, even if they read and have favourites in the others.

On SB/SV, I just go through the Creative Writing subforums by unread threads, so it's more a mishmash of whatever's there.

However, if I've read something really good, whether it's an update to an already subscribed story, or a new one that really captured my interest, I'll often focus on that fandom for a short while, trying to find other similar stories that are in the barely readable plus category.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I usually try and find something good in a Fandoms and then once I do I try to find other things within that Fandom that are good until there is nothing left

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Ditto on SB.

For every place else I usually stick to a fandom.

I haven't really touched HP in a long while and now I'm re-reading all my old favorites and cringing mostly over why they are my favorites because they are so bad now. Still. I've been on an HP kick for about a week. Before that it was Percy Jackson and PJ crosses.

But yeah, I tend to stick to one or two fandoms for fanfic.

Regular fiction is all over the place.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I binge a lot. Worm is pretty easy, since it's definitely an example of quantity over quality, though occasionally there's a middle of the road fic with like 500k words that will just eat up a ton of time. Reading an HP/SW story, liking it, and then trying to find others just brings sadness though.

5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Nowadays, although I still read fanfiction every day, I basically only get it from here (if it's linked to another site or in the WbA) or whatever catches the eye in SB or SV.

I generally read Worm - for the first chapter, because so many of them are trash-tier - but whenever the competition rolls around I'll read HP for a few weeks and start thinking of HP ideas again. If there's a really good story for a fandom, that I vaguely know, I'll read that fandom for a few weeks on a binge but then I'll go back to SB/SV.

6. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

It's almost exactly the same for me except that I don't participate in the competition so I read less HP.

To be honest I feel like the Worm fandom actually has a much higher average quality standard that Harry Potter. Sure, most new Worm fics that you find on SB are pretty bad. But have you ever tried using last updated for Harry Potter fics on fanfiction.net? That makes SB look like high quality.

7. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I usually go on a HP or Worm or RWBY an etc. kick for a week or so then go on to the next or just take a break from fanfic for a while. I also go through searching for specific tropes no matter the fandom as long as I'm familiar, like I'll look for Want of A Nail fics and go through a few. Or other more specific tropes.

8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I bought and played the new Kojima game on the weekend - Death Stranding - and I'm loving it. It's been a long time since a story and world has grasped me like this one does. I hear rumours its not everyone's cup of tea, but those are trash people with trash opinions.

Once I've finished the game, I intend to start binging that fandom. Hell, I can see a concept for a really good HP/Death Stranding crossover already. Practice what I preach, right? Get back in the writing game at the same time.

9. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm big on binging. I'll find a good fic from an author in the fandom and then hit up their other works and favorites, and if their favorites are any good I check out those authors' other works ad infinitum.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Currently binging One Punch Man. I was binging Dragon Ball Z a few weeks back (inspired by my rewatch of Abridged). This is pretty standard fare for me.

11. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Did you find any quality DBZ?

12. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really. I've been trying to find a Gohan/Videl story I liked previously but no luck. One of the authors in that neck of the woods had a meltdown and deleted all their stories. I suspect the story I was hunting for was that one. I read far more garbage than I would like to admit.

It's not the first time I've binged DBZ.