1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Avengers of Steel by Reyel - T - Man of Steel/MCU

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Fatality, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Title: Avengers of Steel
    Author: Reyel
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humour
    Fandom: Man of Steel/Marvel Cinematic Universe
    Summary: Every legend has an origin. Every story has a beginning. Every Superman was once just a man. Before becoming the Man of Steel, Clark Kent was just a young man trying to find his place in a world that was not his. MoS/Avengers crossover. Superman in Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12463373/1/Avengers-of-Steel

Been considering putting this up for review for a little while now, and couldn't find anything on here after a quick search. It's a crossover that takes Superman from Man of Steel pretty much right after he gets his suit, then has him move to the MCU New York. No other DC elements are involved except for Man of Steel, although Zod is still coming but now the Avengers are there too, if somewhat outclassed.

There is also a lot of interaction with the Netflix Marvel series characters. He moves in next door to Jessica Jones and pretty much manages to stumble into every other Defenders character somehow. It's pretty cheesy at times, but also genuinely funny at others which helps to balance it out. Sometimes the characters are written pretty out of character, but I find you get that with most MCU fics - people can't write witty characters like Tony Stark well most of the time. Still, most of the time I think the author does a pretty good job of getting the many characters voices right.

I do remember not liking the beginning chapters too much, which has a bit of an abrupt beginning of the Avengers reacting to Superman and Zod fighting without much context. Then there are a couple slow ones of Superman moving into New York. The story and writing definitely gets better as it goes along though, without getting into too many spoilers I really liked some of the authors alternate take on Thor 2. Those parts were nice because they were nearly entirely original, whereas earlier there is a bit of a tendency to rehash some of the canon events.

Technically speaking there wasn't too many errors from what I can remember and it's already 250k words after about a year. I'm a sucker for superhero and MCU stories so I'd have to say it's at least a 4/5 for me.

Additionally, the author has a similarly executed Avengers/Wonder Woman crossover, where Steve Trevor is replaced with Steve Rogers and Wonder Woman helps fight Hydra in WW2. It's shorter at 130k words, but I liked it overall as well. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12557836/1/Avenger-Goddess

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is just a bland retelling of Man of Steel with the MCU cast replacing DC characters - Natasha Romanoff for Lois Lane, for instance. In a few instances this gives original scenes, but for the most part it's identical to the actual film. Key lines are lifted directly from the movie but given to an MCU character instead. It's not subtle.

The writing itself isn't too bad - there are no grievous errors of typography or spelling other than the author's constant use of the wrong homonym and incorrect-but-similar word choices. Seems to have been proof-read by autocorrect only.

Prologues are almost always an active detriment to the story, including the one here. The first few chapters suggest the possibility of some original content, but that quickly gets replaced by a hollow rehash.

While this fic is perfectly readable, there's no real reason why anyone would want to.

3/5

3. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I can understand that, admittedly it's been a while since I've watched Man of Steel but there was definitely parts that were copied way too closely. I'd say that it gets a lot better once the Kryptonian invasion storyline finishes and it moves into more original areas. It really starts to hit its stride when Superman goes to Asgard and gets caught up in the fight against the Dark Elves, who have a history with Kryptonians. The beginning is fairly rough though, I'll be the first to admit.

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I basically couldn’t get past the first few chapters because of this. I won’t rate it, but it’s essentially a piece that was written without any sort of creative streak, and there is no point in reading it. The homonym issues don’t help either.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I probably didn't mind that much it was a rehash of MoS because I simply skimmed scenes that were too boring and focused on others.

It does get better when it allows itself to add more original scenes and concepts. Superman in Asgard scenes are a good example.

Though, at the same time, I question some of these additions. Like giving Superman
    SuperVenom
    as a potential future villain or having
    Maxima
    as one of DC characters to be included in this crossover.

All in all, I'm going to give it 4/5 at the moment because I had fun reading it and by the end of the day that's what counts to me.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Am I the only one that thinks Man of Steel is too OP for the marvel world, and considering all the other heros we have to compare to.

Mostly because I feel like the author has a serious hardon for Supes and wants to show how inferior the marvel cast is to him. They feel secondary, they're just there because its necessary for the crossover to work.

I wasn't impressed. 2/5

7. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Avengers of Steel has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 33
    Words: 337,117
    Updated: 2018-11-01 14:49:25 UTC
    Published: 2017-04-25 18:28:13 UTC
    Previously updated: 2 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

8. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 34
    Words: 364,942
    Updated: 2019-04-01 01:26:29 UTC
    Previously updated: 5 months ago

9. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 35
    Words: 391,925
    Updated: 2019-09-20 15:12:48 UTC
    Previously updated: 6 months ago

10. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 36
    Words: 409,912
    Updated: 2019-09-28 19:31:40 UTC
    Previously updated: 8 days ago

11. Xion

Avenger Goddess has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 313,878
    Updated: 2019-11-12 17:31:39 UTC
    Published: 2017-07-04 05:22:19 UTC
    Previously updated: 6 months ago

12. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did the bot break?

13. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 26
    Words: 333,031
    Updated: 2019-11-18 05:53:49 UTC
    Previously updated: 6 days ago

14. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 37
    Words: 428,789
    Updated: 2020-06-03 00:40:02 UTC
    Previously updated: 8 months ago

15. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 38
    Words: 452,201
    Updated: 2020-07-31 07:29:29 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 months ago

16. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 39
    Words: 477,204
    Updated: 2020-09-02 15:25:20 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 month ago

17. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 40
    Words: 488,574
    Updated: 2020-09-04 06:22:28 UTC
    Previously updated: 1 day ago

18. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 350,580
    Updated: 2020-10-12 00:20:28 UTC
    Previously updated: 11 months ago

19. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I really, really wanted to like this, but unfortunately, I don't.

If one ignores the first chapter (Prologue), the first chapters are actually quite stronger at "Marvel-izing" Superman and integrating him into the greater Marvel world. Unfortunately, after the first ten or so chapters, this quickly falls into severe problems.

My major gripes with it are as follows:
    1) Harem Vibes - This is most immediately obvious early on, and somewhat dies down (but not entirely!) later. I get it, Henry Cavill as Superman is an attractive man, but I don't need every other girl in the story to think about how hot he is. It reeks of self-insert-ism, especially when most of the perspectives we end up seeing seem to serve only this purpose and nothing else in the story. Not a great use of words.

2) Superman reads like a teenager - His problems are really telling in this, and he's always going "hurr durr, I'm not dating X because I don't want to ruin her life". Christ, grow the fuck up.

3) POV shifts - There's far too many. It's essentially cramming all the MCU into one fanfiction, and it just does not work having that many perspectives, especially when most of them don't really add anything meaningful to the story. In many cases, they actively made the story worse by robbing scenes of tension.

4) Power mismatch - Superman as is doesn't really face any real threats after the General Zod Arc (and even then it's hard to be invested as we know he's going to win). He also just supplants many roles in the Avengers, disrupting the team dynamic and balance, turning this story from a Superman with the Avengers story, into a Superman story, and oh yeah also the Avengers show up.

5) Lack of New Character Arc - Superman essentially goes through 1 character arc from the Man of Steel film. Beyond that, he's not really growing as a person, which makes it hard to care about anything. The story isn't really doing anything new to his character, or putting him in positions that are interesting.

If you insist on reading, here's a list of skippable chapters (I have only read up to Chapter 29)
    Chapters 1 (The Prologue)
    Chapter 12-16 (if you've watched Man of Steel), with Natasha as Lois
    19-27 (the Thor 2: The Dark World)

2/5

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I have a funny problem with this fic. I dislike that it's not MoS/MCU crossover, but keeps adding more things to it.

It's not really a problem, but for some reason I just prefer when the fic world is clearly defined by some structure. Like if you do film and TV show crossover, you don't add elements that didn't appear on the TV, but are from comics.