1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Grimoire [v3]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zombie, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

So all things come and go and now that we're all older, let's see what we have in terms of creativity for new spells this time around. It's okay if some are repeated.

Be interesting to see how many battle spells v. Multipurpose spells v utility spells comes out of this one. Our old threads was all about killing and maiming.

Properas: A hastening spell. Roll that spiff faster, do that dab quicker, all you need is properas.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wake Taki: You have cast A spell to wake you up at a specific time. The alarm is perfect for you and eases you awake so you feel rested when you get up.

Wake arak: Snooze button spell.

3. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

We still need the spell/ritual to create a horcrux. I recall JKR once saying it was something horrific, but she never revealed what it was.

4. Zombie

This is where you create that then.

5. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Very well. This is my spell "in media fuerit animam meam scidisti!"

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lumos Lux Maxima: Creates a temporary, blinding light around one's self.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Back in 2000 and someshit I read a fic with Lumos solarum and just thought it sounded way cooler than all this Lumos Maxima crap.

8. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have used a variance called Lumos Coronae in a competition fic, but I thought LLM was more in keeping with Rowling's conventions.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I know the first movie had Hermione use a spell called lumos solem on the Devil's Snare, which I also like more than lumos maxima. But a lot of that is just exasperation with all of the maximas out there.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Here's some ideas/alternate uses/histories.

Rennervate - although developed for the revival of those stunned, this spell is more often employed in these peaceful times by Hogwarts students preparing for NEWTs. Muggle-born student Terry Boot describes its effects as, 'a bit like a double espresso shot, and fifty sugar stuffed fruit-pastels, mixed with coke.'

Prospero - pros-PER-o - popularised in the 15th and 16th century, this charm was commonly used to protect a wizard's children from harm and persecution by muggles. When danger neared, the charm would chivvy children home with blustering gusts of wind. So ubiquitous was its use that, even now, the essence of the spell remains in muggle consciousness thanks to Shakespeare's aptly named Prospero, an overzealous wizarding parent, in his play The Tempest. Beware confusing this wholesome spell with the illegal charm ‘Properas’ popular with certain Billywig circles and Gillyweed smokers.

Vade Mecum - va-DE ME-cum - The ancient spell book of Esagil-kin-apli provided several Sumerian spells that remain unmatched even in the modern day. Alongside the sinister Killing Curse, and the Exorcist's Charm of First Recourse, we learn the historic, but still sublimely useful, diagnostic charm of Babylon's Chief Scholar. Although now superseded in matters of mundane pathology, this charm remains many Healer's test of choice in the diagnosis of malicious curse, jinx and hex.

Protego Horribilis - pro-TE-go hor-rib-il-LIS - A charm of uncommon complexity, versatility and potency, this spell was developed and published by Professor Filius Flitwick on retiring to academia, after his fifth successive duelling circuit international win. It provides a more potent defence against curses than the traditional shield charm. However, it also progressively weakens a rival's wand's ability to cast those curses which strike it, for as long as it holds.

Calor Airus - cal-or air-RUS - The unfairly named 'Politician's Charm' is a dictation charm that allows short messages to be written in concise, effusive or ebullient language. A charm that benefits from frequent practice, a master practitioner can have a spoken 'no' charmed into a four-page letter of enthusiastic go-get-itness with only a final paragraph sympathising how unfortunate it is that budgetary constraints will keep the addressed from progressing with their excellent proposal. Awfully sorry.

Nascondere - NA-scon-der-ey - The concealing charm was popularised in Italy around the time of Giacoma Casanova. A charm of remarkable intuitiveness, it is of great academic interest for its rare ability to use emotion in substitution of arithmantic certainties. In a moment of great panic, the charm may hide cosmetic features, odour, unusual objects and even other people nearby. Of course, it is important to note that it does not hide these things well, preferring the first convenient hiding space. N.B from Junior Editor, for reader reference: very famous, if needed, learn N.V.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  11. Zombie

Harry used Lumos Maxima during the start of one of the movies. He's hiding under blankets and is practicing the light spell, but it also happens to light up the whole room and shine brightly through the window. So that's what's likely gave birth to that shit in FF. I also like how he's casually using magic outside of school.

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Paranorum Minora - give the victim a sense that someone is watching them and/or sneaking up on them.