1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems to me that Inverarity is following the example of irl America and segregation of school districts so of course muggleborns are shit, I prefer her having a mini-arc of teaching muggleborns and becoming more empathetic (er- debatable from this chapter) and then later on chasing after Bonnie. I don't think Alex would ever fully side with her Father unless she had nowhere else to go. Remember, hes a terrorist and Alex no matter how selfish she is, really doesn't want people to be hurt and killed and that's one lesson I think is finally starting to sink into her though not early enough for the dwarves.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, arguably, that is the very situation she's in, no? I mean (ignoring her limited life expectancy), she can spend the rest of her life in Nowhere, Ozark with Burton, or certainly live in Croatoa doing nothing all day long, but is she going to accept that? Trololol.

It has been made abundantly clear to her that what everyone wishes her to do is to fuck off to the Muggle world and never return ever again. No wand, no shopping, no fair trials, no nothing. She's essentially barred from taking part in everyday life. And that's some personal motivation to kick Hucksteen, Raspire & co into the stratosphere right there. And inasmuch as they are only a product of the world they live in ...

Alex hasn't thought this through, yet, but if/when she does, there is going to be a reckoning. People create their own worst enemies, as it were.

Plus, I wanna see more of the magical world and be in the middle of the fight, not at the sidelines in Larkin Mills, dangit.

3. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Alexandra Quick and the World Away has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 142,449
    Updated: 2019-11-01 10:43:19 UTC
    Published: 2019-08-02 10:55:08 UTC
    Previously updated: 4 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

4. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 148,131
    Updated: 2019-11-04 12:34:44 UTC
    Previously updated: 3 days ago

5. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    New cast, new scenario, new plot (with a lot of resemblances to OotP), new Cause of the Week for our protagonist. So far it feels like a wild and disorienting swerve, but it is still too soon to tell, of course. We'll see how this ties up with the main storyline, there seems to be something weird about the Confedaration and children.

Is FPB III a descendant of that magnificent deputy assistant plumber whose remarkable merits made him deserving of a bust at Charmbridge, or is he the man himself, at a new stage in his stellar career? What's his job? Does he belong to the Department of Magical Education, as his participation on Alex's disciplinary hearing committe and his role as superintendent of the Pruett School seem to indicate? Or is he a member of the Accounting Office? Any relationship to Lavender Brown (Goody Pruett called him the offspring of a foreign witch or warlock)?

6. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 29
    Words: 153,168
    Updated: 2019-11-08 12:33:11 UTC

7. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 30
    Words: 159,626
    Updated: 2019-11-11 13:42:40 UTC

8. Sesc

Mmh-hm. As I was saying ... :)

I wonder what comes after the end. When you exacted revenge on everyone that wronged you, went against the world, and came out victorious, is there satisfaction? Or just the emptieness of the ruins you created?

Is there a difference between Alex and Abraham? Is there a meaningful difference? Does motivation matter, or just acts? If you would not attack a train, but would tear down wholesale the world rather than let others have it if they denied it to you, does it make you better or worse?

Franklin Brown is a parable of the entire conflict, and the story just became awesome.

9. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Seems Raspire's assessment about Alex at the beginning of the schoolyear was right on the mark, who would have guessed? :p

I don't think we have ever seen

FPB cast a spell, even hold a wand? Sometimes he acts as he is reaching for it, but maybe it's just one of those fancy bamboo sticks. Since FPB the First was plumber at Charmbridge, maybe the Browns are a distinguished line of clerical squibs? Aggravated assault against a defenseless squib sounds like a serious offence.

Probably Erdglass or auntie Di will cover for Alex's blunder, anyway. Otherwise the Decathlon is a bust.

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Ehh, weird to see such a cultural taboo against physical violence when they have magic to hurt and heal each other with. I don't know, it just feels like a Muggle taboo.

But interesting chapter...

11. Majube

High Score:
    This was a great chapter in the fic, I enjoyed the catharsis of Alexandra letting loose this time though
    honestly I'm hoping it pushes her to leave the town like Sesc said earlier on. I was getting a bit tired of the muggleborn mystery and the Squib!Snape/Umbridge. I hope we get to see more of the great cast of Alexandra's relatives step in again.

...But I'm thinking she might run away again after someone admonishes her about him.

Also @Garden I wonder how Erdglass would've reacted, half the horror of Gertie's portrait is probably because it's Alexandra cursing a 'proper' wizard lol.

12. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 31
    Words: 162,809
    Updated: 2019-11-15 12:02:29 UTC

13. Sesc

Delicious, Inverarity. A 2,400 years old plot that will never lose its appeal slowly approaching its last arc. The story is quickly becoming my favourite.

But that's just it, isn't it? The wizarding world will care. It does care -- she made it so. Throughout the books, it always led to that, because if indifference it had been, she would not have been able to bear it. And at the same time cause and effect: Because one is contingent on the other, and if either side was different, the situation would not exist. But it does, because the wizarding world can't not react, just like she can't stop butting. And hence, the only ending it could ever have is the total destruction of one.

The Hamartia of the ancient greek tragedy -- no matter where you go, there you are, and can't escape the fate created by virtue of your own existence.

Raspire tried, funnily enough. The reason he should have wanted to see Alex vanish from the magical world was because that would avoid having to deal with her. She was, of course, never going to. So he should have hoped she would stay out of trouble, to avoid having to deal with her. She was never going to. Now, if they had been clever, they'd have done everything they can to avoid reacting to her ... but they weren't going to, because this is just a new iteration of the same conflict that already lead to this situation, and the one before to that, and the one before to that.

So, not the moment to feel victorious (unless you are Franklin Brown and are too stupid to think ahead): In a sense, by shipping her to a magic prison, they already lost. It's not the end, just another step on the way of consequences creating consequences, until one side is gone. And risking even 1:1,000,000 odds it might be you for a teenage girl is foolishness.

14. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

They better hope there are no cracks in the world at Eerie Island.

15. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 168,569
    Updated: 2019-11-18 11:49:54 UTC

16. tekomandor

tekomandor Squib

High Score:
    I hope she breaks out through a crack in the world. I've been eager for her to step through one for a while.

17. Majube

High Score:
    Was the 11 letter word anti-social?

18. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    According to Google, alexithymia.

19. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 33
    Words: 173,379
    Updated: 2019-11-22 11:46:32 UTC

20. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Perhaps Alex could have earned some more privileges if she had kept with Typhon's style. Something like:

"Let me fiddle with the crack you sit upon. It can be liberating."