1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dear Order by SilverWolf7007 - K+

Discussion in 'Humor' started by bornagainpenguin, Apr 7, 2007.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: Dear Order
    Author: SilverWolf7007
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humor
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Pairing: NONE (as of right now anyway)
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 23,268
    Updated: Feb 25, 2014
    Published: Sep 17, 2006

Summary:
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3157478/1/

This is a nice fluff piece which builds on the premise of Harry being alone each summer at the Dursleys by having him write ridiculous letters to the Order and Weasleys who are all camped out at Number Twelve. Then the pranks start... I laughed at some of the stunts pulled, but then again it was rather late when I read them and I had just snorted an entire package of pixie stix, so your milage may vary...

--bornagainpenguin

Checked by Minion, June 27, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
  2. raja

raja Fourth Year

It was midly amusing, but mabye I should've gotten high off pixie dust first...

3. malaga

malaga Auror

It is pretty funny, but the chapters are too short. In spite of that, it's really good for one reason... the lack of plot! Too many funny stories have been ruined by plots. *pouts*

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

CURSE THINE AVIAN ENTRAILS, PENGUIN!...AND YOUR DECEPTIVELY CUDDLY DISPOSITION, YOU DECEIVED ME!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  5. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, this is alright if you're not looking for anything in depth. It's just... there, nothing special about it. And I've avoided the completly baseless and annoying slash that had nothing to do with the actual story.

3/5

6. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

First of all, knowing the author, this is a Slash fic. Snape and Remus definitely, Harry and Volde or Lucius probably with a good chance of Hermione/Ginny, and maybe Seamus/Dean if they ever go to Hogwarts. Thats what SW writes and oddly enough I read it, it's only passable because it's nonexplicit and not too in your face about it.

As for the review portion of this post, it's middling decent and not to complex. I agree with what malaga said, plot can kill a humor story and this author knows it. Sure there is no good reason for Luna Lovegood to be at 12 Grimmauld place if Harry is still at Privet, and it's unlikely that everybody would be in the house at once, but it makes for good humor so it gets ignored. Personally I think if they were all that obsessed with what Harry was going to say in his biweekly epistles, they might perhaps write to him on their own or even *gasp* visit the poor bastard?

3.5/5

7. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

I am amused. Humor fics that aren't mindless gore and/or snog-fests = rare.

3/5

8. raja

raja Fourth Year

Wait, is this actually supposed to be a story? I thought that he/she was just writting this as a parody not to develop into a true story. if it is, then it sucks- badly

9. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I hate this alot,
    and I cannot explain why,
    I just... do.
    Meh.

2/5

10. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Mildly amusing, but only if it is very late at night.

Otherwise, it's infantile humour at its best, both subpar and generally lacking in merit. Format is a series of incomplete drabbles strung together in a semi-coherent mockery of chaptered fics. It should have been a one-shot with a recognizable beginning, middle, and end. Massive rewriting and reformatting, with the insertion of some sort of actual plot, build-up, and resolution advised. In fact, I think that the author is trying to achieve a story format similiar to Crys' Dream Journal series of oneshot drabbles. S/He fails.

Miserably.

In other words, pass. There are much better humor fics out there, and this one tries too hard in the wrong places and doesn't even make an effort in the important ones.

11. ikaina

ikaina First Year

Personally I like it. Nothing extraordinary but I laughed in few places :]. I would say that, if you are bored, it's good way to spend a few minutes. 3,7/5

12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Hmm... first off for those who've not read it, the only "slash" in this fic so far was a brief couple lines mention about Remus and Severus in Chapter Four. And even that may have been for the sake of parody (and not for the sake of sweaty hot man on man action).

Considering the author, the possibility of future slash is there, but there aren't any indications or author comments indicating that.

That said, there are some very funny parts in this. And then there are some parts that feel like the author is trying way too hard to be funny.

Big pluses are that it's not trying to be more than it is. Each chapter is the Order suffering through some inexplicable oddness and situation, crossed with a sarcastic and off-kilter letter to the Order. That's it. No morals. No deep underlying plot. No secret subplots (aside from Luna and Harry probably working together). Not trying to stretch things out here. Instead it's just extremely brief curious drabbles loosely unified by this theme.

I'm not sure why it's gotten so popular lately. Since mid-december we've only had two new chapters (if you call a few hundred words a chapter) and it's gotten probably 400-500 reviews since then. And it's already begun to stop being funny.

I'd be shocked if this fic was actually finished. These sorts of insane humor fics rarely reach any sort of conclusion. Still, it's a good way to spend a few minutes as the 8 posted chapters don't even total 6000 words with all the author's notes.

3.5/5 for me.

(I think Rorschach's about the only humor writer I've seen that still comes up with funny stuff *after* getting extremely popular for humor. Maybe it's because he doesn't care and most others are suddenly concerned with 'being funny'.)

13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I dunno. I dont like it. Chapters are too short, and its just way OoC for Harry. I've made this blatantly clear how I feel about this. Unless its entirely AU, Harry isn't going to randomly start pranking people for any reason.

1/5 for me. >_>

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've seen this a while ago. Didn't do anything for me. Maybe a chuckle or two in the 3 chapters I've seen before calling it quits.

15. CGB

CGB Auror

I think I just read the wrong story, because I can't see why this story should even have 2 stars, let alone 4...
    It's not even remotely funny IMO and I just can't believe this story has over 700 reviews...
    1/5 stars

16. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Actually I found it to be rather Hilarious. Dunno why, maybe it's just the wine or something but I thought it was Awesome, like 4.2/5 awesome! but eh. that's just my opinion.

17. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Don't sell your self short, nonjon. You're still funny. *Pats on the back.*

God, I hate being nice.

18. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

2/5, since it was mildly amusing. The length and the quality of the chapters went downhill starting with 4, and by the last chapter posted so far, I was tempted to hit the X.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I quite liked it actually. Then against I like zombies... And ex-ghost, zombie skunks are quite amusing :).

4/5.

Aekiel

20. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

I agree with Vash. The chapters are way too short to hold my interest in any way whatsoever. It's readable, but it's really not anything I enjoy, personally. 2 or 3 out of 5.

On a completely unrelated note, when I saw the comment on Make A Wish, I decided to read it again out of boredom. Does anyone else find it ridiculous to have to go though 8 pages of stories via the search function to find it when I enter 'Make A Wish' instead of getting one or two DIRECT matches?