1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Don Dresden by cyrileom - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Paradise, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Title: Don Dresden
    Author: cyrileom
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: none
    Summary: Harry Dresden finds himself in the late 1100s, and works with a three other prestigious sorcerers to found Hogwarts.
    Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...f-hogwarts-dresden-files-harry-potter.790927/

Harry Dresden helps found Hogwarts back in the day, but still manages to do things in Dresden fashion. He and Slytherin having an interesting relationship, with Harry filling the role of Godric Gryffindor. The go on magical adventures and fight monsters, with some original Dresden stuff, and some new stuff. All in all its pretty interesting and updates pretty regularly.

4/5

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've been reading this one for a while, and it's pretty good. There's not a whole lot of Harry Potter, outside of the names of the Founders, so don't go in expecting to see Potter-style shenanigans, but otherwise it's pretty solid. Only thing I'd actively complain about is that Dresden's voice isn't quite right. It's close, moreso than most fanfiction gets, but it feels like there's an element of textual uncanny valley, where it's close enough that the differences stand out and make it weird.

I'd give it a 4/5 on the whole.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well written, Dresden feels like Dresden. Snark could be better, but he wasn't exactly Peter Parker to begin with. Very interesting seeing Dresden out of his element without it being a proper crossover where the xover might overshadow or intrude. Nice fusion of Dresden and HP elements. Rare in that there aren't any sins that need to be forgiven by the other boxes that it ticks (crossover, post Changes, etc); it's a genuinely decent story on its own merits. 4/5.

4. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dresden is on point, and it's interesting and fairly original. 4/5.

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

This is actually good.

Very positively surprised by this one.
    Devoured it a bit too quickly, for the later denarius related plot caught my interest.

There's a drop too much of 'dresden is very cool compared to others', but other readers might think it balanced. A matter of personal taste. The setting merger seems to favor the Dresden-verse logic, which is handled well, if gives me a feeling of unused potencial.

Then again, it is better to have it this way, than second guessing and comparing magical systems against each other constantly. Most importantly, the current system works for this fic.

Will revisit this story with later updates, and looking forward to what is next. 4/5

The only weird characters that rub me the wrong way are the white court vampires, who are too well behaved for random vampires Harry just met - they might turn out interesting, or their continued spotlight might prove a needless distraction. In that sense, most of the plot decisions seem to boil down to the 'Rule of Cool', which isn't the worst decision on the part of the author. And white court vampires are certainly 'cool'.

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just read through this. Good stuff.

What really got me was the distinct lack of any recognizable characters beyond a few names, and the originality and full development of the OC’s while staying within Butcher’s general theme. None of the characters really feel like a reskin of something out of butcher’s novels which is all too common.

On the other hand, it is so barely HP that it hardly merits mention. It’s essentially entirely Dresden with just a veneer of Harry Potter. At this point, it’s just a few names, owls, basilisks, ‘people like using wand-sized foci’, and the occasional oblique reference. This isn’t a major fault, really, but more of a misrepresentation I suppose.

4/5

7. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Solidly 4/5 from me, the story seems to drag just a tad and while originally it felt like those journal entries it was purported to be by format it lost a bit of that as it continued along, which is a shame because that was quite unique.

8. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Haven't read any Dresden in a while but this is the best capture of his voice since Little Chicago.

It's a fun read with decent pacing and a solid update rate.

Suspension of disbelief falls apart somewhat when you look away from the flashy bits and think about the setting. It's sort of lampshaded by the journal motif; Harry's contemporary perspective and recollection glosses over immersion breaks and the local characters seem to exist only as set pieces for his story.

The way he deals with nobility and politics is very much the blunt Dresden I'd expect but I also find it hard to accept in medieval Britain.

Leery of how he goes through the paces of his canonical life but with OC analogues like John the chaplain standing in for Father Forthill.

Solid 4/5 nonetheless.

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The writing's fine, but it really didn't draw me in. No action, no hook, no promise of what's to come. I'm probably quite biased by the fact that I actively dislike crossovers most days, but I found myself skimming pretty quickly.

3/5 from me, with the huge disclaimer that it's just not my thing.

10. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Someone mentioned this on discord a while back and I opened it on a whim, not actually expecting to even approach readable. I ended up reading everything written in a single sitting.

I had a longer post typed up but lost it at some point so I'll leave it at that. 4/5

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

12. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Having not read the Dresden Files and being warned that the story had little to do with Harry Potter, I was skeptical.
    It won me over, however, and the insane update rate does help.
    Can't vouch for Harry's inner voice due to above reasons, but I really like it

4/5

13. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

4/5 for same reason as @Lamora

not great but still good

14. Donimo

Donimo Auror

No one has really said what the fic is about. Is there a story here or is Dresden just messing about in the middle ages? Is this a fusion, if so is it HP magic or Dresden? When was Dresden punted into the past? Changes, Summer Knight, etc.

15. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It's not just a "let's mess around with our OP knowledge, lolz" story with a lot of slice of life, but it isn't a story devoted to the main plot, if that makes sense. I tried to give a non-spoilery spoiler below.

Harry + the remaining three founders are trying to get Hogwarts up and running. That is the long term part of the plot, and the story more closely follows Harry (and at times the founders) during everyday supernatural tasks. There is progression in the story, he tries to establish a business for himself whilst gaining an apprentice. The Faerie and the Denarians also show up and add to the plot.

It's very easy to get into and read, so getting a feel for the story really shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.
    Give it a shot

16. Agayek

It's Dresden post-Ghost Story and pre-Cold Days being thrown back into the eleventh century, where he meets a trio of wizards who want to open a school for new wizards and standardize education. In pretty much all respects, it's a Dresden fic, except the wizards he's working with happen to be named Helga Hufflepuff, Salazar Slytherin, and Rowena Ravenclaw, and there's a couple of magical gewgaws that are reminiscent of Harry Potter.

17. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Is he still the Winter Knight then, or did he lose that in transition?

18. Agayek

It hasn't come up in the story yet, so who the fuck knows.

19. diesIovis

diesIovis Seventh Year

He can't be the Winter Knight, otherwise Mab would just order him around.

20. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

i think he's not because the premise is that he succeeded in committing suicide via sniper and presumably left the mantle behind; this is his 'afterlife' of a sorts. that said, he obviously has some sort of connection with bizarro!Mab, although the implication is simply the debt being that strong?