1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Mandalorian [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Primarily, the difference is that Baby Yoda is totally helpless, portrayed as totally helpless, and, for all practical purposes, is little more than a side character.

Unlike Rey who is basically female Jesus and totally incapable of failure, while being force fed down the audience's collective throat.

2. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think the main difference is that Baby Yoda is cute, and comes from a very super-secret race of alien beings where every example we've seen of it has been prodigious in the force, so there's somewhat of a pass on it until we get the details of what they are, if ever.

Rey is also cute, but as she's a young human female, I guess she's the fair game outlet for people (and I use that term loosely) that have just accepted literally every other bit of XXXX-sue-ness, hand-waving, inconsistent bullshit that they've been feeding us for decades.

3. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really want to get into a SpaceBattles type debate about Power Levels because I despise those types of things but Mando in his new Beskar armour should not have had this much trouble unless he was handicapped. Yeah, she was part of the rebellion and all that but the Beskar armour should have at the very least given him an edge.

He's not the protagonist. The story isn't about him. No matter how strong BY gets with the force, it won't take away from our enjoyment of watching Mando. Whereas if Rey is this strong after only having the force for a few months (?) then she should be able to handily defeat anyone given a few more months. It's why most Super!Harry stories are terrible but canon with Dumbledore as the (second) most powerful wizard is an enjoyable read.

Plus, if we're going for in-universe explanations, it's possible that BY's species has a natural talent for the Force. Or that as you get older your force power/Midichlorians increase (Which again gives his species an advantage).

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Beskar doesn't really do anything to lessen impacts though. It deflects blasters and plasma. If you were to get slammed into the ground by some super-buff MMA fighter while wearing a relatively thin layer of a lightweight titanium alloy over your vital bits, I'd say it is still going to hurt.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The mandatorian won that fight.

He fires she’s dead.
    She fires it bounces off his helmet.

Ultimately pointless to argue power levels of non force users in Star Wars

It’s like arguing British marines vs American. Depends on circumstances

6. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

upload_2019-12-3_21-29-45.png

The story is as bad as y'all are thinking. Link to article here.

Here is the bio of the 1 tweet used for this story:
    upload_2019-12-3_21-41-21.png

The author of this piece sure did their research.

7. Agayek

I mean, nothing that happened in that exchange would be effected by his armor, it was all blunt impacts and grapples. Maybe if it was actual power armor or something, it'd be of benefit, but it's not. And, like, the whole point of that scene was establishing the lady as a badass, an equal to Mando in combat, so that they didn't have to explain how she had the skillset to train the villagers in (hollywood) guerilla tactics and improvised weaponry.

Also, for the random lore trivia, beskar is basically just titanium, or whatever other similarly durable metal, plus the ability to repel plasma, so lightsabers and blasters can't penetrate. That's really about it. It's about as good in a fist-fight as medieval plate (which, in fairness, is "pretty good"), but since he's wearing maybe a quarter of a suit of plate, the effectiveness is somewhat... lacking.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the blows being exchanged in the fight still wouldn't have been fun for Mando. His armor probably saved him from as much bruising and bleeding, but the blunt impacts would still shake him up and knock him around. Judging by the way the fight played out, her goal wasn't to pound him into the ground so much as get him shaken up and knocked around for long enough to pull her blaster while he was off balance and couldn't respond.

As for Cara, punching and kicking his armor definitely wouldn't be fun for her, but more in the sense of "that's going to hurt in the morning" than anything disabling. Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. Realistically she should probably have bloody knuckles and maybe some minor fractures in her hands, but I can't fault the show for ignoring that when 99.9% of media depictions of bare-knuckle punching do the same thing (There's a trope for that).

9. Agayek

Eh, they actually did halfway decent with the choreography in that regard. Most of her attacks were body blows, that hit on his sides and lower torso where the armor doesn't cover. The only 'problem' hits were the half-dozen or so times she punched his helmet, which would definitely ring his bell, but likely do more harm to her than him.

10. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Agreed, though half a dozen full-out punches to someone's bare skull/jaw can also do a lot of damage to someone's hand. Really, punching someone in the head is always risky, since the skull is a lot stronger than the bones in the human hand.

11. Agayek

For sure, it's definitely the invincible knuckles thing at play there. They're far from innocent of it. I'm just saying that that particular scene does it mostly right, and at least nods vaguely in the direction of the armor's existence.

12. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Agreed, especially since invincible knuckles is such a common thing in TV/Movies that it's more notable when you actually see realistic hand injuries from throwing punches.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    One thought. does the Mando's whole spiel about helmet removal mean Jango/Boba were not mando's?

Or perhaps this means Boba became a foundling? Interesting thoughts.

14. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was confirmed offscreen that Jango wasn't Mandalorian, just that he found/stole the armour. Yeah, it's pretty shite to say it offscreen rather than have a story for it but whatever.

Not sure if there's any evidence to suggest that after Jango's death that Boba became a foundling.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Mando's name is "Dyn Jarren". Anyone know the reliability of this?

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    Hate off screen reveals. Though, Tbf, jango and boba were never stated to be mandos in film.

16. Agayek

It wasn't even really a reveal or anything, it was just something Lucas insisted on. He made a point of saying that neither Jango nor Boba Fett were Mandalorian whenever it came up, and anyone who wanted to play in his sandbox had to abide by that. I have no idea why he went through the trouble of coming up with the Mandalorians and matching the Fetts to it perfectly, then insisting they're not part of it, but that's what he did.

As far as I know, there's been no confirmation in any direction about Mando's name, so I'd take that with a massive grain of salt.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pedro Pascal slipped up during an interview and said it, apparently.

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wow, I've never before seen something done so little justice by its trailer. Usually its the trailers that are good and the product mediocre. This show is incredible.

Perhaps forgettable in hindsight in that its not really that memorable, but it's a joy to watch and follow, and doesn't feel inferior to the movies in production quality (though of course lacking the same scale of an effects budget). It boggles the mind that they managed to make this work so well.

I mean fuck, they made the goddamn suit work. Where else have we seen getup of that type look halfway decent?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Late on this. I really didn't like the OOC exposition dump in ep4. It felt odd to have him saying so much to some stranger...

I adore everything else about the show though.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't gotten into the meat of the plot with only 8 episodes total. Ep 5 was basically just more commonplace western tropes. Fun, well executed commonplace western tropes, but not doing anything that Episode 4 didn't do.