1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Death of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arthellion, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What is the best death for Harry? In fanfiction? canonically? How would you kill him?

2. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

I think a Beowulf-inspired death would be very fitting for Harry. After a long career as a master wizard, he encounters an evil or monster that he dies taking out. Especially if he saves other people in the process or if he alone has to step up to the plate. Since he is past his prime and the dragon is so strong in Beowulf, the hero dies, but he kills the dragon and the rest of the poem praises him for his deeds.

For a Dark Harry fanfic, something Shakespearean would be great a la Macbeth or King Lear. He devolves into darker and darker magic, stepping over that line again and again, and is ruined after initially accomplishing his goal. Or like King Lear, he tries to leave his work/magical world to his successors and is promptly forgotten and put in an abject position he has to crawl out of.

3. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Crossover fics - Hit by a truck in the prologue.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

My favorite type of death is one where the MC realizes at the last moment that the only way they're going to save everyone is if they themselves die in the course of events. True hero shit.

Most recent example is season 4 of Magicians at the end.

For HP, think my favorite death for him was as it was portrayed in canon. He went out ready to die for everyone else. Self-less. Lots of people crack that up to manip. Dumbledore and him not being informed (I'm not here to argue that) but I really liked it, in a fashion. Just because of what it represented.

5. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

this. QC’s self-reflection about his actions and the cover of “Take on Me” definitely gave me the feels at the end of last season.

good point on DH too. I think the symbolism of Harry sacrificing himself because that’s what he has to do is heroic and very powerful on an emotional level.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'm thinking about the Cruel World bit. Man. That got me right in the fucking feels.

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I agree with @Zombie in regards to how a protagonist should die.

I think the best way Harry could have died in Canon is if he died protecting someone(preferably Neville) else from Voldemort's curse, just like his Mom. Voldemort would stay dead because he doesn't have his Horcruxes anymore, and it would complete the theme of Harry having a great capacity to love, to the point of sacrificing himself for someone else.

Everything would come full circle. Harry would become the Boy-Who-Died to save someone else.

8. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, imagine if the whole Harry Potter series was told in 1st Person from Harry's POV. Then, Harry chooses to stay dead and next chapter is Neville's POV and we go from there. Ideally, in this scenario, Neville would have been built up a bit more, perhaps being as close a friend to Harry as Ron is. Or Ron was also born as the Seventh month dies.

Just Harry realising that he doesn't always need to be the Hero. That it's okay to let someone else save the day for once and he can finally rest.

9. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Hmm, But has Harry actually ever expressed the need to be a hero though?

Maybe I don't fully remember the story that well, but it always seemed that unavoidable circumstances thrust him into the hero role and he wasn't neccesarily seeking it out.

IIRC, Harry had a conversation with Dumbledore about exactly this topic.

10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

He and Hermione had a conversation about this on the way to the Department of Mysteries. It was a good trick, but he still fell for it because of his 'saving people thing'.

11. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Sidepoint: If Harry had permadied in DH, he would have forever been the Boy-Who-Lived.

12. Agent

High Score:
    If we're getting technical, in Wizarding Society, you turn into an adult at 17. Depending on your definition, Harry wasn't a "Boy" at that point.

13. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Technically yes, as he would have been about 17-3/4 years old at time of the Battle of Hogwarts. But in my experience, you don't get considered an adult until your early to mid twenties, even if by technical definition you are an adult. You might be called a "young man/woman" during that period, but if you died only a couple months after your age of majority you are more likely to be announced as a teen on the news report of your death.

Take that and the fact that his nickname had been the 'Boy-Who-Lived', and the fact that painting him as a child makes his story more tragic, and you get his tombstone calling him a Boy instead of a Man.

14. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

wouldn't Harry always be called the "Boy-Who-Lived" though? whether it's his final death in the Forest or not? he earned that name because of his role in surviving Voldemort's curse in 1981 not because he returns from King's Cross in 1998.

this is something that bothers me in fanfics actually where they call an adult Harry the "Man-Who-Lived." it just sounds silly to me. i feel like the name "Chosen One" gets more at his role in the second war and the final days of Voldemort, and this title is unrelated to whether he dies or not.

15. Agent

High Score:
    Don't really think any stories call Harry that? Usually it's "The Man-Who-Conquered" or "The Man-Who-Won".

16. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

oh, i think you're right. my bad. :) i don't like those either since they are basically just formed off of "Boy-Who-Lived."

17. Chukar

Chukar Squib

Something that echoes Kurt Russell's end in 'The Thing'. The last survivor dying alone amidst the burning wreckage after a hard fought victory.

Absolutely no one crouching at his side weeping over the unfairness of it all. To paraphrase 'Highlander'

"He's a Wizard, by Merlin, and the last sound he hears should not be that of a wailing woman!"

18. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like it when Harry dies from Voldemorts AK in '81. Always a unique take when I see it in fics.

19. fire

fire Order Member

Heart disease, the leading cause of death in the UK.

20. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I prefer my Harry Potter to die, surrounded by his grandchildren and great grandchildren, smiling and in peace and knowing that he leaves the world a better place.