1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Death of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arthellion, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This. It's more original.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Keeping this simple even though I have more complex thoughts... at it's heart? I wanted things to happen exactly as they did in canon, only without Harry coming back to life. Have the epilogues from the POVs of Ron, Hermione, and maybe Teddy.

3. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

I like this idea and would like to see how you resolve the fight with Voldemort at the end. Have you written anything for it?

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have not written anything for it, nor is it the resolution to my own fic (which is a full AU).

As regards canon though, it would make Voldemort mortal. Which means that defeating him could lead to his genuine demise. This could occur as either a concerted assault (not-ideal) or because of some more esoteric means. Perhaps Harry lingers just long enough to distract him at a critical point, or perhaps he's weakened. Perhaps something more clever.

But regardless I remember standing in line (after sneaking into the Mugglenet Party in London without a ticket in 2007!) to buy DH hoping that Harry would actually be dead at the end of it, as that seemed to me to be the best ending of an epic series.

I suppose if I were to pick the way I'd have wanted to read it (NOT how I'd write it, which fuck if I know) would be along these lines:
    • Harry goes out to die as he did in canon.
    • Scene with Dumbledore at King's Cross.
    • Scene from Ginny (?) narrating the actual end of the fight with Voldemort, wherein she realizes what's happened (Harry died). Perhaps Harry had coordinated with someone beforehand to arrange for a concerted attack at this point (and Voldemort was vulnerable), which ultimately left the "win" as attributed to Harry. Alternately anything else happens to get rid of his 'primary' body once the Horcruxes are gone. This can include an end-game plan from Dumbledore to some hand-wavy bullshit to a badass combat scene where Rufus gets lucky.
    • Scene from Hermione becoming MoM with flashbacks and thoughts of Harry, but with more focus on the present / future than the past.
    • Scene from Ron thinking about Harry and Ginny and the past and 'what might have been,' providing a "family" contrast to Hermione's epilogue of a professional focus that is influenced by Harry.
    • Epilogue from canon from Teddy's POV, where he's the one reassuring some kid instead of Harry, providing a solid arc to the entire series as the orphan whose parents died and Godfather was unavailable but who is still looking forwards to the future.
    ...Disclaimer - I haven't thought that through, and upon being pushed I'm likely to retract and/or revise some of it.

I have no real desire to rewrite the ending of canon. I am more interested in both reading and writing AU stories. However I am now tempted to write the above scenes. This temptation will likely pass once I am sober. Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This is a flawed question, as my ideal Harry Potter becomes immortal and witnesses the end of the universe.

If he has to die for the sake of argument, fuck that heroic sacrifice shit. He lives to a ripe old age of 200+ and dies among friends and family in a world he helped secure and advance.

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I'm for a 'Dark knight Rises' sort of end, wherein Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived is 'killed', but a stealthy wizard with green eyes gets to live a decent but anonymous life.

7. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The reality is Rowling set up Harry's death throughout the series and couldn't pull the trigger when it came down to it. As suggested by Ched, this would have been a poignant way to do it, but I think millions upon millions of fans would prefer to see Harry live. Personally feel wordhammer is right with this one -- the chosen one dies at the end but Harry gets his chance to get away from the fame, despite the Weasleys' feelings on the matter. It would have also given Rowling (and us fanfic heroes) an opportunity to give Harry an authentic new adventure without Ron and Hermione.

8. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

I think Ched had the best take in this thread—he dies the way his mother did, by sacrificing himself for the sake of others. That feels the most narratively and thematically appropriate end for him, and brings his story full circle by dying the way his mother had for him.

However, I have to disagree with you there @Averis - the series as a whole and the Deathly Hallows especially so are, in the vein of C.S. Lewis and Tolkien, heavily influenced and inspired by Christianity, with Harry serving as a Christ allegory. In that light, his resurrection is something I personally believe Rowling had planned since the very beginning.

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort's soul being the black twisted eldritch horror that it is claws itself a handhold at the edge of the pit. What seems like an eternity of torture and pain ruthlessly quashed under his iron will as he slows drags himself up towards a pinprick of light, fainter than a dim star.

Against the very laws of nature and screaming defiance in death's face Voldemort climbs. Finally excruciatingly, he nears the starlight thread, victory at hand.

One hundred and twelve year old Harry Potter, Boy who lived and Headmaster of Hogwarts leans back in his chair and with a smile whispers, "Not today, Tom."

He exhales his last breath and slumps slightly.

Voldemort falls, screaming in terror.

10. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I think I would prefer the old Norse ideal of a heroic death for Harry: standing against an unstoppable evil in the full knowledge that he will fail, but standing defiant anyway, sword (wand) in hand.

That, or having smashed the corrupt, ineffectual magical Ministries of the world and united all of Wizard-kind under his blessed, benevolent rule, God-King Harry I passes at the age of 150+, after ushering in a new Atlantis, a new golden age of Magical Civilization...

11. Xav5

Xav5 Muggle

I really like the idea of Harry, The-Boy-Who-Lived, dying, but only for a green eyed wizard to show up somewhere else in the world. Something along the lines of Rand al’Thor from The Wheel of Time, where (spoiler alert) to the worlds knowledge the protagonist has died, yet actually lives on away from the fame.

I would think a Harry-Hermione conspiracy would be the best way to go about it. Remember how weak Voldemort was after he killed Harry in canon? That is sufficiently distracting for a lone witch under an invisibility cloak to take him out. Or maybe some sort of use of the Horcruxe in Harry? I can’t think really think of something imaginative, that’s just how I see things happening. This way, everyone else thinks Harry is dead, but Hermione alone knows he is somewhere out there, alive. Maybe Ron knows as well? It would be interesting to read the different perspectives of characters who thought he had valiantly sacrificed himself and those who knew he was alive.

12. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I'm actually note sure how to feel about these types of deaths in fiction. If I were in such a position, I wouldn't ever trust that they'd be safe even after my death. I'd probably double down on living even harder. It's hard for me to accept that characters would be willing to die without knowing as an absolute fact that the people they love will be safe for the rest of their lives.

13. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Lying atop a big pile of pussy.

Kinda how I imagine Vlad's Bromance Harry dies in the future.

14. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

That is not how it is done.

15. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Canonically I would imagine that he lives for a very long time and dies surrounded by family and friends, or perhaps more realistically he gets hexed in the back by an old Death Eater.

16. Gutterking

Gutterking Squib

A broom riding accident.

17. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

At a ripe old age after siring a dozen children and becoming Minister of Magic.

To make Trelawney's best prediction be when she was overtly making shit up to spite Umbridge.

18. AlexIY

AlexIY Banned

I always imagined that realistically he'd have died in the Second Year, because okay the Mother's love thing was there day one, Rowling always intended that to be there. But there is no reason that magical poison coursing through his pre-pubescent body shouldn't have killed him instantly. It would be an interesting idea for a fic if Harry actually died and Dumbledore has to resurrect his Chosen One either by finding the resurrection stone early or doing some black market dark magic ritual.

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I always felt the way it happened in the books was perfect if he had stayed dead. One of my favourite chapters in the entire series. It was pure Harry, right down to the core. He was scared, he was tired, he was given a choice but he didn't even consider the alternative. He walked down to the forest and instead of using the Hallows to flee from death, he used them to embrace it. He didn't fight the wand, he removed the cloak to reveal himself and he used the stone to affirm his decision, not cling to the past. There is a line in that chapter where Harry is thinking about his parents sacrifice and how he envied their deaths, for it was in the moment, a snap decision, whereas his walk to death was slow, that it required a different sort of bravery.