1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witcher TV Show [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sey, May 17, 2017.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pulled a binge re-watch yesterday, and it turns out the cat is out of the bag right away in episode 1 about the timelines being different. At one point, Renfri tells Geralt that "Queen Calanthe just won her first battle" during one of their scenes. This implies there's a non-insignificant time jump somewhere right there, that only becomes more apparent when you see Pavetta a few episodes later, and then even moreso when you consider Calanthe telling Ciri that she won her first battle when she was Ciri's age. Even if both Calanthe and Pavetta both were very young mothers - say, 15 or so - that still means decades in that case.

2. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I liked the song, but man, the Internet has a way of making good things become stale incredibly quickly.

I can't help but role my eyes when I see a 10 hour video of the song on youtube. Seriously, who needs to listen to the song on a loop for 10 hours?

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Her sweet kiss is better imo.

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    Started my rewatch....it's so much better the second time around. There were things I missed the first watch that are now so much clearer. Great show.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

*raises hand* Fucking love it, actually. His portrayal of Geralt in general helps make this show stand out for me.

6. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I much prefer Peter Kenny's Gerealt from the audiobooks.

7. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I’m right there with you. It’s a little hammy at first but it makes the character.

I also liked how Yennefer’s character was developed. I never read the books, but the parallels between her and Geralt really worked, even if I feel that the show did rush the romance.

It might also be that I’ve got a thing for Arabic girls, but...

8. Ched

Was the romance rushed or -
    Did it just seemed rushed because the Djinn actually did do something? And therefore the rushing was magically enhanced.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    I think the romance was a bit rushed, but my understanding is that the meat of Geralt and Yen's relationships is this tension between desire and love for one another vs. the "is this really our feelings?" and most of their relationship happens during their love for one another. So makes sense they're already falling for each other and dealing with that.

Also, fun interview with show's director and prepping for season 2

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-the-witcher-creator-on-season-2-viral-song-production-2020-1

Witcher is the number 2 show on Netflix right behind stranger things.

10. Ched

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  11. Arthellion

High Score:
    Weird, now it's giving me a paywall. lol

Well as long as you get to read it :)

12. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On Episode 4 right now and a bit of a stupid question but:

Is the voice digitally enhanced? Don't get me wrong, I love it. It's as close to the games as I want it to be but I'm wondering if they went for Christian Bale route or went Techy with it?

13. Arthellion

High Score:
  14. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn, I would have laid money on it being computer enhanced. Cavill should look into doing impressions.

Also, just want to say that Cavill has earned all the goodwill back from me that he lost in the DCEU. Man was born to play Geralt. I can already tell that he's going to be similar to Downey and Jackman in that he will be the definitive depiction of the character that people will always think of.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    While I agree DCEU superman was terrible, I don't blame Cavill for that. The writing and directing was terrible, but Cavill made a solid superman/clark kent.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Another really good article on the director and her interaction with fans.

‘The Witcher’ Showrunner Fights Fan Toxicity In An Unusual Way: Conversation"
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-in-an-unusual-way-conversation/#14be7b098ed3

16. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

Fans are toxic bla bla bla. Always the same shit with these writers. And oh look, someone engaged the toxic fanbase and was not shredded! What a surprise!! How is she doing that? By not being an asshole? OMG, but be carefull it will backfire for sure as soon as the other assholes try to mimic her and fail because they don't really understand that fans respond to genuine people far better than to highhanded snobs. Like this writer is for example. Fucking moron.

Grr. Fandoms are never toxic. They're passionate. If they weren't the entire industry would die.

Okay, no idea if my rant makes sense but I'm not changing it.

On topic: Cavill is awesome as Geralt (and Superman, it's not his fault they blew it)

17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Bold statement. Fandoms are passionate, for sure, but to say that being toxic isn't a mode some diehard fans like to employ in their passion seems awfully blind. Like any other domain where humans are involved, fandoms are, next to all the fun, kind and creative minds, also partly peopled by assholes. That's just how it is. They're not the majority, but damn if they haven't got a loud voice due to social media.

Anyway, time for the thread tax. Henry Cavill is a beast. I loved his portrayal as Geralt. As for the story itself: I didn't know about Yennefer's hunch-backery and simple origins, so that was a nice addition of background knowledge.

I also belong to those who had some difficulty following along at first. That, though, might in part be owed to my being sloshed at New Year's Eve, where I was watching the whole series in one run with some friends. In the end everything came together nicely, and I was definitely entertained.

Also, the Cavill - Freya meme is the gift that keeps on giving. I can't not laugh when I see it.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Binged it over the last couple of days, and really enjoyed it. I've never read the books, or played more than an hour or two of the games (got 2 and 3, but I'm working through a list - although they might get bumped up now) so I can't comment on it's success as an adaption, but I thought it worked really well for a newbie like me. I'm a little unsure about the timeline stuff, as I knew it was happening before I started, although only in the general sense, which made me pay attention to things I might not have done otherwise, but all the signs are right there if you pay attention.

Ciri's story was the weakest, with none of the events or characters (post invasion) feeling massively fleshed out) but I'm confident things will pick up on that front in series 2.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Ciri was definitely the weakest, but the showrunner said she's going to get a lot more time in season two and we're basically going to get Geralt/Yennefer/Ciri becoming a family arc. Should be fun lol

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

[​IMG]