1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Uh huh yeah nah

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It works story wise but is bullshit narratively wise.

The new sequel should've seen Luke, Han, and Leia at the highpoint of their lives and a new threat emerges. Make it thrawn. Make it the vong. Make it something new. But don't fucking repeat what's been done before.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean... it should have been Jaina and Jacen. But shoulda coulda woulda.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Another thing. RT would get the shit sued out of them if they were doing real ratings manipulation. This is stuff that affects sales.

What RT does do is filter out all the people who make new user accounts just to shit on a single movie, even if their ticket purchase is verified. They also set any rating above 3.5 as fresh. Both of these things contribute to why the fresh/rotten audience percentage rarely fluctuates wildly as new reviews are added. What does fluctuate is the average rating.

If you want your RT review to be counted in the front page audience percentage and average rating calculation, you need to be a member for a long time. Otherwise you get relegated to the All Audience score with the unverified users. The audience score percentage there does fluctuate very rapidly, and TRoS is sitting at an average rating of 3.99 out of 5 and 78% fresh. Basically, a C+ or B-. This is more in line with the Google audience rating of 75%.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  4. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

People who engage in the conspiracy theories about RT and Disney buying theater seats and critics are pretty much the incels who like MauLer videos. And are the reason RT went to the verified system after their kind review-bombed TLJ and CM. 86% on Verified RT is actually not that great for a blockbuster hoping for legs and serious WOM. A crowd-pleasing film is going to be higher. Aladdin had a 94%; Lion King had an 88%, and Frozen II had a 92%. I think TROS has only a realistic chance of passing Aladdin at the box office and that's pretty abysmal for a film billing itself as a conclusion to 8 other movies and its own trilogy.

Its Cinemascore was the lowest of all SW movies tracked. Hence the limp across $1 billion USD.

Nonetheless I enjoyed it and I don't really know anyone who is really vocal about their disappointment other than the usual suspects who have a hair up their ass about TLJ, or what they think is a Mary Sue. I think if you didn't like the film, you just moved on like a normal person. But if you think art and films can easily be "objectively" critiqued, and you think YouTubers with furry avatars are the professionals who dispense such critique, I imagine you have a lot to say about how objectively bad this film is.

Edit: Also, I just want to say Jacen in Legends is one of the worst characters ever even if I agree with most of what you're saying Khan :).

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    ???

Mauler's videos engage in plot structural integrity, not theater seats or RT scores. Also, go fuck yourself?

6. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

Incel has become the new go-to for "people who made me mad today". In this case its "people who will not eat their Disney branded slop quietly".

7. BioPlague

No, it still means a frustrated virgin who feels they're owed sex. Considering the 4chan crowd and typical goons who clap like spastics every time one of his videos drops, it's pretty on the nose for the whopping 400 patreons a mediocre YouTuber has. But diving deeper, let's see:
    [​IMG]

Wow, it's an asshole who is (was?) frequently on his show who engages in racism and misogyny. He's called Muslims subhuman so guess he must be a pretty normal dude. Kind of weird that you'd make that kind of person part of your neat little objective team that just happens to think Black Panther is objectively a bad movie for iNcOnSiStEnCiEs while Endgame is so, so good. Never mind Rags who also loves casually using slurs. Weird how objective man just happens to surround himself with and happens to garner the attention of degenerates (sup Sargon).

It's CinemaSins nitpicking on crack masquerading as critical analysis. His long videos say virtually nothing. His little defenders love coming out of the wood-works parroting the same bullshit Trump defense (Orange Man Bad) except long man bad.

His and his little team's cult following is literally on the back of their Star Wars videos after TLJ caused a rift in the fandom.

There's plenty of critics of SW media that aren't solely incel bait. RedLetterMedia has been doing critical reviews of SW since The Phantom Menace. Their TROS review was funny and I didn't have to wonder why I was watching furries. I clearly have a problem with people who don't eat Disney branded slop. Critics of Disney are so hard to come by! They are clearly so afraid of the mouse:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Curiously enough, the video you pulled up seems to have nothing to do with Star Wars.

9. BioPlague

The Problem With Forced Diversity literally talks about Rey as a forced diversity character.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That's also not Mauler, unless I'm missing something.

11. BioPlague

MauLer's frequent companions in his streams were this goon and Rags, another dimwit DiVeRsItY iS bAd cunt. Whether he still is is a question I'm not going to find out. I know Wolf deleted all his shit at some point but came back. I'm going to assume he still is considering MauLer's twitter still has their profile icons.

[​IMG]

Again, folks having a normal one.

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sounds about right for my experiences with Abrams films. They're usually a blast to watch as long as you turn off your brain and just let yourself just enjoy the ride, but fall apart if you start thinking too much or go digging for anything deeper than a fun experience.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You're still supporting your attack of Mauler's fanbase and the integrity of his work based on .... one of the people on his podcast using Rey as an example of forced diversity. What is inside your skull?

14. BioPlague

Every Frame a Pause is part of his work. It's his weekly podcast... where he co-hosts with these degenerates. And I guess if you hone in on a single point in the post, then yep, I only mentioned the Rey as an example of forced diversity thing:

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To play devil's advocate, just because the guy hosts a podcast where some of the guests say offensive things doesn't completely invalidate all of his media criticism.

Granted, my objection to Disney's so-called "diversity agenda" usually stems more from the times when it comes across as transparently shallow and unauthentic, such as the Beauty and the Beast remake's "Hey look, we very subtly implied that a character in our movie might be gay! So progressive! Such representation!" Or on the Star Wars front, Finn and Poe had way better chemistry than any of the obligatory female love-interests slapped into the movies, to the point where Boyega and Isaacs pushed for it to happen. Disney nixed that, but hey, have two female background characters share a same-sex kiss (that got cut out of the film in any markets where homophobia's still okay).

I mean, I suppose you could also say some of the diversity stuff leads to bad writing, but I think that's really just a matter of Hollywood movie writing always being a hit-or-miss thing. Most of the problems with the sequel trilogy are down to it being hastily slapped together in a way that clearly shows they had no real gameplan and were making it up as they went. Not to mention the clear behind-the-scenes issues indicated by the massive turnover in writers/directors and other production chaos that have plagued Disney Star Wars.

Rey and Finn both being white men wouldn't fix those problems.

16. BioPlague

They aren't really guests though:
    And considering the bulk of his content is these stupid lengthy videos, I'm not going to disassociate them from his "shorter" "personal" videos. These are the people he runs with. He clearly doesn't have issue with their points of view which they've expressed. Hell, they're generally lumped together. Whenever he wants to debate folks, it's generally with those two clowns with him. The ecosystem he exists and operates in is the anti-SJW, gamergate incel community.

To the rest of your post, RLM succinctly addressed that with their discussion about Disney being Passive Progressive. Which is an excellent point and discussion to have. Do we honestly think Disney is going to have a homosexual relationship front and center in any movie that they're hoping will be successful in China or elsewhere? At the same time, having main characters that were female and black clearly triggered folks that weren't ready for that. I ultimately think it's a game of inches.

Language like "forced diversity" is typically going to be a clue to the type of person you're dealing with though. A movie isn't bad because the main character is a woman or black. Bad movies with white male leads have been the standard for decades. Bad movies with bad female and non-white leads get to exist and join them.

As to the management of the SW universe under Disney... I say the prequels existed. TFA, TLJ and Rogue One were critically and massively successful. The Mandalorian is widely praised. Despite the weird rumors of its demise, Galaxy's Edge is insanely overcrowded and doing well. Obi-Wan is on deck with a Cassian Andor series, Clones returns next month and I imagine whatever comes next will do just fine. My only disappointment will be the Marvelifcation of it all.

17. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Just to throw this out there:

What the fuck does it matter if Mauler is a piece of shit or not? I've never watched any of his videos, nor do I have any interest in it, and I don't know anything about him. But really. It doesn't matter if he's a terrible human being or not.

There's a reason ad hominem is a fallacy and anyone who tries to use it in a serious discussion is laughed out of the room. The source of an argument is entirely irrelevant to the veracity of the argument. The truth doesn't change because of who speaks it. If you're that concerned about how terrible his points about the movie are, actually address them. If all you do is go on a rant about terrible he is, then the only conclusion that can really be drawn is that you're either unwilling or unable to address the points being raised, and as a result, they're likely broadly true. And at most, the guy being a shitheel that speaks the truth just means to be suspect of why he's telling the truth, not whether or not it's the truth.

18. BioPlague

I'd say his piece of shittedness informs his goofy attempt at objectivity, where he and his friends' reviews manage to almost always align with the anti-SJW crowd take on every movie. Watch his Black Panther review and then watch his Endgame review. The inconsistencies argument kind of goes out the window. Weird.

I think I'd rather just call him incel bait tbf.

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Okay, so let's just assume all of that is true. So what?

What does any of that have to do with his Rise of Skywalker review? How does any of that change any point he raises in that video? How does him having different opinions between black panther and endgame impact any argument presented about Rise of Skywalker?

Like, I guess you can keep calling him a piece of shit or whatever, but doubling down on ad hominem isn't actually countering any of the points made in that video. And really, I have not and will not watch his video at all, nor the actual movie in question. It should be trivial to present a counterpoint, it's not like I can fact check it.

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    He hasn't watched the video either.