1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

One fanfic to end them all

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Utsane, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Everyone in the world is only allowed to write one piece of fanfiction through their life. Everyone must write one fanfic before they die.

What's your fic about?
    Do you put a lot of effort into it?
    When do you write it?
    What fandom is it for?

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Right now? My fic would be about Baby Yoda all grown up and having to raise and train a young force sensitive in the ways of both the Force and the Mandalorians, and the trials and tribulations therein.

And I'd be writing it right now.

I think I'm probably cheating ob this question though, as that was something I just started and am still hype about.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I'll write a groundhog day fic.

Each loop would be effectively it's own story.

Checkmate.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It would probably be a sprawling, original (for a given value of original, obviously) version of the DC universe, spanning different generations of heroes and teams.

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Auror Potter and the World Against.

6. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Oof, that's a tough one. I've got tons of ideas that come and go, I always do a ton of research for them too, but I never get around to putting pen to paper.

The one that has stuck in my head the longest though is a Fate/Stay Night story. Instead of the Fifth Holy Grail war taking place only ten years after the last one, it instead takes place the normal fifty years later. The end of the Fourth war didn't result in a massive fire, but instead caused the Holy Grail to be purified and gain the concept of victory/kingmanship. So when people get around to summoning Servants, they are all Kings (hence the title, the Seven King War). More than a few of them have abilities that work off of lots of civilians or take up lots of space, so bystanders keep getting sucked into the war. Between the oversized scale and the fact that the Holy Grail War wasn't designed to work around the satellite surveillance and CCTV cameras that would be ubiquitous in the 2040s, there is serious potential for the world of magic to be exposed to the normals, causing a clusterfuck of agencies both mortal and magical to get involved.

Cast:
    --Saber: Charlemagne, King of the Franks, First Holy Roman Emperor, Founder of Europe.
    --Archer: Odysseus, Hero of the Odyssey.
    --Rider: Genghis Khan, King of Invaders.
    --Caster: King Solomon, Founder of Modern Magecraft.
    --Berserker: Oda Nobunaga, Demon King of the Sixth Heaven.
    --Assassin: King Hassan, Founder of the Assassin Order.
    --Seventh Class: I could never settle on a Lancer that I liked. I could use Genghis Khan as a Lancer instead (based on his legend) and pull Iskandar back into the ring, but I wanted to use a completely original cast. Alternatively, I could swap out the Lancer for the Shielder class and use Qin Shi Huang of the Great Wall of China and the Terracotta Army, but I wanted to stick to the classic seven.

7. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

One-shots about HP Topics that weren't really touched upon in canon. I write when I get the inspiration to and make outlines when I don't.

8. Miner

Miner Order Member

Probably a sprawling, never-ending series of oneshots that fall under the Death Parade banner.

I'd prefer to write for Harry Potter or Oregairu, but I suspect I'd never be able to find something that would never quite end, and I don't think I would really stop writing fanfic so...

9. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A Warhammer 40k and Game of Thrones inspired take on Star Wars (this predates and ignores the sequel trilogy).

The Emperor was able to turn the young Luke Skywalker to his side, but never mastered essence transfer. Instead, the imperial throne was turned into a life-preserving engine that requires hundreds of sacrifices and endless dark rituals to maintain it. Palpatine's focus has turned ever more inward and now, ten thousand years later, is seen as more of a dead god then a real player in galactic matters. He no longer interacts directly with the corporeal world, but his presence continues to have influence in imperceptible ways, and there are some who hear him speaking to them. But now the Imperial Throne is failing, and those closest to it talk of hushed whispers of what will happen when it does. A young slave-child of the Imperial Court (think Mara Jade) is convinced that her visions come from the Emperor himself, and that there is a deep conspiracy against him.

The legacy of Skywalkers has flourished into a Sith aristocracy, who compete in endless political games for power and influence over the empire. There is no hint of rebellion against the empire, now, it has existed so long that all records of a time before the God-Emperors rule have been erased. But it hardly matters, as there is endless conflict between the Sith factions, which would-be revolutionaries convince themselves are causes to align with. In the midst of a growing conflict between the two most powerful clans, a young, arrogant scion graduates the academy and travels to Coruscant, seeking a personal audience with the Emperor before he takes up his position at his fathers side.

And in the darkest corners of the Galaxy, ancient evils are stirring, as forces which the Emperor has held in check for millennia are beginning to wake up. A tomb of cryo-frozen warriors begins to defrost. On Ruusan, the spirits trapped in a shimmering ball of light are moving again. And, millions of light years away, a fleet of living warships alters their trajectory, sensing their historic foe's weakness...

(There is a lot of detail to the nature of the various Sith and other factions when our story begins, but I don't have that in front of me.

The idea would be to follow the Game of Thrones structure - begin focused on inter-Sith politics, with mystical undertones; these machinations break out into serious conflict and war as the existential threat becomes more visible but remains ignored; and then shift to focus on that existential threat without losing the backstabbing politics. It would follow ~3 POV characters who reveal different aspects of this and whose paths somewhat intersect and sometimes conflict.

Anyway, this will never be written. I don't have the time or skill to give to it, but this is the idea I always come back to. I've nearly posted it to CbA before, in the faint hope that someone else adopts it.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  10. Inert

Inert Headmaster

If it can be a current fic, I'd just re-write Hurricane Suite (my better Naruto fic) from the top. Split it into two parts, flesh out some stuff at the front end, and finish it.

If new, it'd probably either be a Star Wars AotC rewrite where the council sends Anakin to investigate Padme's assassin, rather than Obi-Wan, and what could change from there, or a Sly Cooper spy thriller where Sly and Carmelita are teamed up in the wake of Sly 2.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  11. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I can only get so erect

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Heh, thanks. This one is my baby, which I've been tossing around for over five years, but you never quite know how others will react until you put it out there.