1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witcher TV Show [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sey, May 17, 2017.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I felt like it was implied Geralt and Yenn met up a few times between their meetings in 5 & 6.

Did I imagine that? Some of the banter etc gave me the impression they’d seen each other around in between eps.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Same. That's the impression I got.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Yeah, it's a little vague on details, but that's straight off a Netflix page (NX) on twitter. Going to binge it again this weekend I think, I'll pay a lot more attention this time.

4. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is a chart version of the interactive timeline on netflixs website yeah? https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb weird that the chart cut some off.
    Edit: nvm, realised its just an episode chart. One thing the timeline on the site shows though is that it turns out Geralt is older then Yenn in the show while in the books its the other way around.

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Not sure about the show timeline, but in the books Yen and Geralt had already spent a couple years living together in between, so it’s probably based off that.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You can gloss over a couple, or even a dozen or so incidental meetings in between time-skips - you cannot just gloss over them living together though. That's a pretty big fuck up, if true. That'd be like cutting the Surprise scene but still having Ciri frantically searching for Geralt...

Also re 'Toxicity' in fanbases, I genuinely think Social Media has warped our sense of reality. It gives weight to the statistically insignificant just because they're loud/vulgar/have ease of access. People need to start being trained from a young age that SM isn't a reflection of society. Hundreds of millions of people use it every day, these popular celebrities can have tens of thousands of people wanting to interact with them. How many are actually toxic? One hundred? Maybe five hundred if I'm 'steelmanning'? Out of the tens of thousands (on the low of of celebrity) of people following, that's a pretty great 'asshole percentage' if you ask me.

7. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

If they admit that the numbers are trivial, then they can’t use it as an excuse to deflect criticism anymore.

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

A big part of that is that humans are hardwired to take note of things that are unusual, that stand out. People perceive things to be significantly more toxic than it is, precisely because it isn't very toxic at all. All the positivity just sorta blurs together into a homogenous mess, while the toxic stuff stands out in stark relief to it, and so is much more easily remembered.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Reminds me of that ... whatever ... about how it always feels like every red light catches you, because those are the ones you remember. You don't remember all the green ones.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The montage and dialogue in that episode gave me the impression that, at most, Geralt and Yennifer had spent a few nights together in the same place for a while - they might have seen a lot of each other, but they weren't living or travelling together.

11. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I just finished bingeing it right now, and man. I loved it. Cavill is brilliant in this role. Not knowing anything about the lore I'm not gonna comment about what worked and what didn't, but I am going to buy the books and rip through them.

12. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Hmm.

First half of the binge was great, second half I felt was weaker. Fantastic performances as Geralt, Calanthe and Jaskier. Yennefer wasn't as haughty and confident as I'd come to expect from the games, and a bit too likeable/sympathetic.

The chemistry between Yen and Geralt seemed lacking in comparison to how their relationship develops but I chalk that up to the nonlinear timeline.

Ciri was fine, her most interesting moment to me was when she told Data to kill the doppler. Looking forward to see her grow and come into her powers.

Another thing that impressed me was how the emblems from all the title cards resolved into the witcher's medallion on the last episode.

10/10 would compare favorably to The Mandalorian again.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    rofl, my exact words were 'Yen wasn't enough of a cunt.'

So true.

14. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Yennefer is more cunty in the books???

15. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Oh man, she's fucking terrible in the books at first. In the show, you actually get all her backstory first, so you have some sort of an idea why she's such a jaded, antagonistic bitch of a person at times. In the books, you don't get any of that for quite some time, so all you know is she's this incredibly hot, but manipulative and abusive bitch. Now, of course, you do get her history fed to you bit by bit over time, and you can see that there's more to Geralt's obsession with her than just being the hot sorceress and all, but it takes a while to warm up to her.

Took me until my third Witcher 3 playthrough to pick her instead of Triss though. Must be my redhead weakness.

16. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Best way I can describe it is that in the books and the games, she's "Haughty" but in the show, she just seems "Bitchy".

In the books and games, she knows her arrogance and attitude is earned and can back it up whereas in the show, it feels like Yennifer herself thinks she has something to prove.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Seemed supremely bitchy to me in the games.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Witcher is basically a Joe fic if he was polish.

:)

19. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I thought Yen was pretty sympathetic in the games--they're basically trying to get their kid back, no time for niceties.

20. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

She is incredibly unlikable in the books.

She was so bad, I tried not romancing her in the games, but relented because I know Geralt loved her and I wanted to roleplay as the Book Geralt.(They had a pretty satisfying ending in Blood and Wine)