1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Did I Miss?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Othalan, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Lol, I remember MoR. Shit, I haven't been gone that long!

Thank you all for these recs, you guys are awesome.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome back to society. Not sure how much news you got or knowledge of interaction with the outside world but....you may find it a different place than you remember.

3. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

*grimaces* Yeah, I'd picked up on a lot of that already. Still, could be a lot worse. I once tried to explain what the internet was and how it worked to a guy who'd been locked up since 1978. Long story short, he didn't get it. Maybe I'm just a shitty explainer of things, but damn. I can only imagine how lost people like him will be when/if they get out.

4. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Annerb wrote and finished The Changeling, a six-year Slytherin!Ginny fiction that's undeniably excellent (and skims the first few years, ramping up. She then wrote several sequels exploring post-war era and the way it impacted on them. Highly recommended.

@Sesc wrote Traitor's Son, which you can find in the WbA, about a Slytherin!Harry who's father has the opposite legacy. He also wrote a lovely Victorian-themed war fic, which you can find on his profile.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since the Changeling has been mentioned, a question. Does it have some sort of original plotline, or is it Stations of Canon but from a Slytherin!Ginny POV?

6. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

I don’t think I’ve read this one, and it sounds cool. I just checked it out on WbA but sesc’s link requires a password and username but my current info doesn’t seem to work... how do I access it?

well Harry still does Harry things so in that sense it’s stations of canon, but those plots are distanced by Ginny’s perspective. Plus there is now a significant Slytherin involved in things like the DA. There is great writing of Slytherin house (with some cool ideas like a Slytherin women only special club) that doesn’t fall into cliches and the OCs annerb introduces are great.

I think the major selling point for this fic is the quality of the writing, the atmosphere of the story, and Ginny’s voice and perspective. Give it a try!

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Mostly canon, but Ginny has her own plotlines that make it interesting, especially her 6th year (Harry's 7th). That is where most the fics length is at, as years 1-5 are covered in one chapter each.

Annerb is just a really good writer and makes a fantastic Ginny that we should have gotten in canon.

8. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the fic spends maybe 5000 words in year 1, and then seems to double that each year on, to the point where 50% of the fic is year 6. It is also, by the by, the best description of life in Hogwarts during The Deathly Hallows that I've ever read.
    --- Post automerged ---
    @Gaius here is the WbA link. It might be in a group now, I don't remember (I think last time I read it it was in the CbA). @Sesc what's the best way to access it? In an unrelated note, Sesc, do you mind if I make a offline copy of it for personal reading?