1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your childhood cartoons

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

As the thread title says, which cartoons from your childhood you remember the most and which ones you enjoyed the most? Don't include anime.

Also, give us your year of birth for context.

I was born in 1990.

My top favorites are:

Totally Spies! - It featured actual "girl power" without beating the viewer over the head with unnecessary feminism. It was simply a show about competent spies in their teens who happen to be girls.

Dexter's Laboratory - I strongly dislike shows with stupid protagonists (such as Spongebob) so having a show about a genius boy, who is only limited by his age, is right up my alley. Plus having a hidden giant laboratory under your house is such a cool concept.

Time Squad - Time Travel is cool. Plus, I got to learn interesting facts about historical figures thanks to this show, which is also cool. It basically tricked me into learning stuff while being entertaining. Hands down best episode was when they had to deal with flesh-eating robots created by Eli Whitney, haha!

Samurai Jack - Holy shit. Just, holy shit. The animation, the action, the plot! No wonder this got a continuation so many years later.

2. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Born in '91. I will second Dexter's Lab as I used to enjoy it a lot, though it hasn't aged well at all.
    Cow and Chicken was another favourite, that one I still haven't revisited.
    Powerpuff Girls was pretty sweet as well, though I think that one would have aged even worse than Dexter's Lab if I cared to take another look.
    The Simpsons, of course.
    Wacky Races; Dick Dastardly and Mutley in their Flying Machines were pretty funny, as I recall.

Also, basically I was glued to Cartoon Network as a kid and that's how I learned to speak English pretty well (though I learned to write playing Runescape in the early 2000s lol), so cartoons definitely had a large impact on my life.

As to the ones you've mentioned, I thought Time Squad was alright and I did learn a fair bit of random useless history trivia off it.
    Samurai Jack was pretty cool too, though I got rather bored with it in the end, and having tried to watch the continuation, that hasn't really changed much for me.

3. Andrela

I agree that it hasn't aged well, but the reboot is terrifyingly bad.

4. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

I can just imagine it. It had some charm in the 90s, but I can just bet whoever thought to resurrect it was sporting a huge stiffy imagining all the bank they're gonna rake in with the girl-power trend of the late 2010s.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

upload_2020-1-21_9-7-27.png

I honestly don't have a favorite cartoon from my childhood. Dexter ranks up there, I got really into Adventure Time when my daughter was younger, but I was an adult then. Does Bojack Horseman count, even if its not from my child hood?

But more to the point, I think if I had to pick, Neon Genesis Evangelion. I never got the chance to watch much TV as a kid and so when I did, it was usually late at night and it was foreign. I first watched NGE in Spanish.

6. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Avatar was going through its run for the first time when i was like under 10, so that was pretty badass to grow up on.

Teen Titans was also huge at that time, and I was the right age.

I loved spongebob tbh, the absurdist humor was great. I hate people calling spongebob stupid too. He really more just has the average mindset of a child

My dad also got me Batman: The Animated Series box st at one point so I've seen all those. Batman Beyond was also running concurrent with my childhood.

Tbh tho, I stopped watching cartoons around like 2013? When I was 12.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men, none of which should need much explanation. Animals of Farthing Wood, which was probably the first piece of media to make me cry, and Bucky O'Hare, which admittedly, I mostly remember for the theme tune and action figures.

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I watched Avatar the Last Airbender when I was thirteen or something; arguably the best cartoon ever made, but I really liked Teen Titans, which I watched all the way through on youtube in multi-part episodes. I watched Spongebob when I was younger than that, but there was a long period where my family didn't have very many channels, so I was watching the budget cartoons on the CW early in the morning and even then I thought they were pretty fucking stupid, but it was all I had.

9. Andrela

That Spider-Man cartoon was pretty awesome. I don't know why, but a lot of people on the internet are shitting on it....

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

1972. Fuck me.

When I was a kid, at 8am there was a four hour block of Looney Tunes on ABC. Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, Foghorn Leghorn (I say.. boy!), Sylvester & Tweety, and all that. Glorious stuff. After that was two hours of Hanna Barbera - Tom & Jerry, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound... I can't remember the rest of them, but there were some other characters in there too. I think that shoe had Woody Woodpecker shorts on as well, but that might have been a separate program.

Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) was big when I was in elementary school, it was on in the morning and I would watch it while eating breakfast. Really my one and only foray into any kind of anime whatsoever, but man did I love it.

Flintstones/Jetsons were big, but I didn't watch them as much as others.

I was ~11-12 I think when the original Transformers and GI Joe cartoons came out, and I was all sorts of into those, but a year or so later I snapped out of it, that "I'm too cool (or so I think) for this shit" phase. Wasn't quite as chic to be a nerd back then. :)

The predecessor to Justice League, the mighty Super-Friends was on as well, but that was pretty terrible really.

I'm sure there's more, and I'll add them as I remember. Well, if I remember. :)

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I can’t wait to get home and post in here - hope no one beats me to my childhood favs

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    '92

Teen Titans
    Sonic X
    Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles (the nickolodeon verson)
    Justice League
    Kim Possible
    Static Shock
    Code Lyoko (was this anime? Sorta?)
    Arthur on PBS
    Magic School Bus
    Captain Planet
    Recess
    Tale Spin
    Ducktales
    Darkwing Duck
    Swat Cats

Yeah. Those were my shows usually :)

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Born in '83. Too many to remember, honestly. I used to gorge on cartoons whenever I wasn't in school. So I would be watching pretty much any and everything that was on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. I remember being huge into Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters when I was really young. I would get up at dawn to watch Thundercats.

...And I would not leave to catch the school bus before that Conan the Adventurer cartoon was over.

14. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Samurai pizza cats.

Transformers.

Used to watch a lot of Hannah-Barbara cartoons for some reason, maybe older siblings.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ‘88.

I can’t believe no ones mentioned Pokémon and Dragonball Z yet.

I still remember the day I decided that I liked DBZ more than Pokémon. Was quite the revelation.

Then I got over cartoons heh.

Fav adult cartoon is definitely Rick and Morty.

16. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

They weren't really childhood for me. I was nearing the end of high school by the time anime really became a big thing stateside, same for Pokemon (was playing the original Red/Blue as a senior).

17. Silirt

Well, the first post said not to include anime, and those are both anime, though it slips my mind all the time for some reason.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh, I don’t really consider those two to be anime. Though they absolutely are I guess.

I’ve always associated anime with Japanese language and subtitles I guess, and something I torrent, where as this I watched on TV in English.

Regardless, they’re the only cartoons I ever watched so...

19. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Born in 1991.

I used to watch a lot of Saturday morning cartoons like Recess, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, etc. They didn't really leave a major impression on me, that is reserved for the cartoons I was able to watch when we finally got cable around 2003.

Avatar: the Last Airbender, Teen Titans, and Ben 10 are the some of the ones that stick in my mind the most. Then there was Naruto (I started seeing this during the Forest of Death arc, so about mid-2006), which was my gateway anime. I remember watching that in my parent's bedroom because it was the only other TV, allowing me to watch it while my family was watching Ugly Betty or Grey's Anatomy.

Apart from that, the biggest influence was Toonami. Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, Jackie Chan Adventures, and a bunch of other anime.

20. Silirt

It's a lot of things. Anime art style has changed a lot since the 90's, and these had relatively different styles even from other 90's anime (Sailor Moon is more typical for the period.)
    Neither of them take place in Japan, and apart from a few things that the writers didn't consider there's nothing that would necessarily tell a child that the show wasn't made in America, not that I usually considered where shows were made. I did wonder about some of the fight scenes in Power Rangers, though I admit I probably guessed California.
    The dubs were spectacular compared to earlier monstrosities like Speed Racer and the Godzilla movies, so you didn't realize the characters weren't always speaking English. They weren't works of art, but they weren't low-effort cash grabs; there was a real effort to adapt the show so that it would make sense to a Western audience and we've spent years making fun of how far they went on the internet.