1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What if the Troll killed Hermione?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrela, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Now, I'm putting this in General Discussion instead of FanFiction because I want us to figure out what would actually happen instead of what we wish would happen.

My first guess is that Ron blames himself a lot. I am unsure if Harry blames Ron or himself.

I do think both boys remain friends though.

But what happens with the Stone plot?

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort probably wins.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Fetish: Ron and Harry get tentacle raped by Devil's Snare.

4. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hermione's ghost occasionally gives them helpful advice, but they have to go into the girls' toilet to get it. If they ever got past the Stone thing, at least they'd have someone looking into the Chamber, but they probably would not beat Voldemort at anything unless they found a new friend.

5. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Quirrelmort gets to the Mirror, wasted a lot of time in front of it, is trapped during the return trip, and got their arse kicked when Dumbledore caught up with him.

Harry and Ron would be even closer friends, but become kinder people and more open to others in memory of Hermione.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And then probably wins down the line when Harry doesn't have Hermione to help him at any number of critical moments.

7. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Boo. Harry and Ron 4evah.

(But seriously though he would totes die. Likely strangled by the Devils snare, though most definitely not raped by it beforehand)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There’ve been numerous fanfics to address this.

9. Andrela

Fanfics rarely portray the most likely scenarios.

10. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Damn. There goes that fic idea. :(

On topic: This has been done many times. Can't recall ever seeing it done well.

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, have there been any decent fanfics that deal with this?

Like, y'know, ones where Draco doesn't fall in love with her ghost and brings her back to life via the power of love.

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Usually the fics that end up killing Hermione are the fics that have Harry in a different house. They sub Daphne in Hermione's stead because Daphne is a secret genius beneath all that ice.

It usually makes me like the story more if she's dead because I get tired of them turning her into the morality police the entire time whenever Harry starts doing something that would be considered "grey."

On topic, I'd say that the entire troll thing happened at a time when Harry started noticing Hermione as a potential friend. They survived together, they got in trouble together, they covered for each other in the face of the teachers and the face of the troll.

Without any of that, I'd say that his friendship with Ron would be different simply because the bonds of "Oh hey I know you and you're nice to me."
    Isn't enough to form a long lasting relationship.

13. Andrela

Thanks @Zombie that's what I was thinking about!

14. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Well, if you want likely...

A few months into his induction into the wizarding world, Harry witnesses a fellow child clubbed to a pulp under the nose of the most powerful wizard in the world. He, like every other muggle-raised first year in his cohort, develops a very rational fear of all things magic (or, at the very least, of magical creatures) and a deep mistrust of adult wizards.

Traumatized by the experience and his early childhood, he goes on with his life as a very shy person, always trying to go unnoticed, never daring to set foot outside the Gryffindor common room after curfew. He focuses on quidditch, falls out with Ron due to his role in Hermione's demise and his reckless personality and gets closer to Neville.

He, of course, never learns of Flamel, so he stays well away from the third-floor corridor. No veggie hentai. Ever.

He reports Norberta to McGonagall. She and Dumbledore take care of the issue behind curtains.

Quirrelmort can't solve the Mirror of Erised in time, so he is eventually driven off by Dumbledore.

After that, it's anyone's guess. But don't count on Harry being the dashing daredevil he is in the series anymore.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... that's as unlikely as anything.

Anyway, realistically, I think surprisingly little will change. It's not even entirely clear she will die, because the final trigger was Harry and Ron locking the troll in the bathroom. Without that, it might wander in, back out, and no harm done. Assuming she does die, Ron will have a harder time getting over Hermione's death than Harry because he caused her to be there -- what he said was true, but, within the circumstances, cruel. He might actually grow up faster, as a result. But as for the PS plot -- the question is what you do right after the incident. If the death causes really fundamental changes because it introduces new external plot (an investigation, or possibly even Quirrel is kicked out, because Snape clearly suspects him, and Dumbledore decides he can't stay around any longer), you can basically write anything you want. The entire Stone plot could be gone.

But if you treat the death as only a means to remove Hermione from the equation, Harry and Ron will still find out about Flamel and the Stone (it's his Chocolate Frog card, and Snape talks about it in the Forest), they will still find out about Voldemort, they will still go after the stone -- Hermione was vital and the driving force for none of this (and neither Ron, if you want to posit a more distant relationship -- it's all Harry. Possibly he simply ends up with Neville in tow, instead). They will fumble their way through the traps somehow, end up in front of the mirror, Harry will save the stone, and that's it.

Anyway, how would you construct it?

As they jostled their way through a crowd of confused Hufflepuffs, Harry suddenly grabbed Ron’s arm.

‘I’ve just thought – Hermione.’

I suggest that any time (Canon-)Harry does remember Hermione, it will end like this. So he needs to not remember her. We know that

On their way down to the Great Hall for the Hallowe’en feast, Harry and Ron overheard Parvati Patil telling her friend Lavender that Hermione was crying in the girls’ toilets and wanted to be left alone. Ron looked still more awkward at this, but a moment later they had entered the Great Hall, where the Hallowe’en decorations put Hermione out of their minds.

so a working twist would be Harry and Ron not overhearing Parvati, consequently Harry doesn't remember Hermione being gone, both walk back to Gryffindor Tower, Troll enters bathroom, Hermione gets clubbered.

16. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

To play devil's advocate (and elaborate on what I wrote this morning), i would posit that the shared guilt would instead bind Harry and Ron tighter together as friends. They will make sure each other strive to become better people, so that the tragedy of Darth Hermione the wise would not happen again.

17. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If they face the Devils Snare without Hermione, I see there being three scenarios, :
    1. They die.
    2. They muddle through (Sesc).
    3. If you believe in Hogwarts magic subtly protecting its students, as per many headcanon's and possibly @Taure's document, it intervenes (it may also intervene to pull the troll away from Hermione, as Sesc mentioned) in such a way that they muddle through and survive - the Snare is oddly slow to react and they're able to escape, or their accidental magic kicks in, or so on.

18. ashland

ashland Second Year

High Score:
    Hermione's not there to body bind Neville. They either both knock him down or drag him along. The former, they die. The latter, Harry can figure out the riddle, but standing outside the fire isn't the worst thing in the world.

Harry discovers the chamber because Hermione brewed polyjuice. So, Harry doesn't find the chamber, but he also doesn't remove the diary from the bathroom. Ginny dies, TMR is roaming around, and Sirius stays in Azkaban. Unless, of course, you want the Weasley family picture in the Prophet after the tragic death of their daughter...