1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stronger: Magic or the Force

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lindsey, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

So the next logical question is: what if a Wizard/Witch had a child with a Jedi/Sith?

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...well in Star Wars heritage does not necessarily lead to force sensitivity. It's common, but not always. But assuming you're asking about a force sensitive magic user?

It all depends on how they are trained I guess.

3. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    That's misleading. George Lucas is on record saying that Legends is an AU parallel universe to his work. Whether or not he approved of it, he never considered it on the same level as his movies. I don't know who was devoted to Legends' consistency, but they must have been asleep at the wheel.

4. Arthellion

High Score:
    They did a much better job than anything Disney has done *shrugs*.

And I'd take him having an AU parallel universe (which still means canon, much like Earth Prime is different than Earth 52 in DC but is still canon) than his disappointment he's stated for having regarding the new trilogy.

5. Andrela

That's true. Also, a lot of fanfics are better than Cursed Child.

Still doesn't make it canon. I guess we just have to live with the fact that canon sucks and fanfiction is better. Many such cases!

6. Arthellion

High Score:
    Except this isn't fanfiction. It was published work that was considered canon for ages and the definitive source for star wars.

7. Andrela

Well, NOW it is fanfiction...

...unfortunately.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    Still gonna disagree on that. It's more like Comics where you have elseworlds that are still considered published works, but produced by others.

i prefer legends over the new universe.

But even if you're just relegating it to the new universe, the Force is still greater. It is confirmed that hte Force upholds the universe and controlls all things. Without it, you die, even non force sensitives. Without magic, you can still live.

9. Andrela

Oh, I'm not disagreeing here.

After all, All Hail The Sith.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sure, it could have similar qualities, but not as useful. Telekinesis is useful, sure, but wizards have that, and transfiguration, and complex potions, etc. The force is just smaller in its creative vision - though not, as Arthellion notes, in its importance to the world it exists in. (I do take your point about Nightsisters - but I disagree that mine holds only to Jedi. Force users across Legends draw on it much more as a weapon of war, and have lives not so different from those around them.)

11. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

The Nightsisters are the only example I can really think of that fully embrace the force as part of their culture and life. It's actually fairly rate. Barring the Sith race and some weirder legends shit (There was a race that was a blob with an eye stalk and no legs. They used force teleport to move around.)

12. Andrela

I would like to use this fine occasion to re-post one of my favorites.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think that in terms of genre conventions, any magic in the hidden world Urban Fantasy genre (like Harry Potter) is going to have a hard time matching up to the magic is Space Fantasy like Star Wars. It really comes down to the two underlying assumptions pervading their magic systems.

1: Urban Fantasy in the hidden world subgenre posits that magic hasn't massively altered world history, since our world is more-or-less the same as it is in our non-magical reality. It also tends to come with an assumption that magical folks keep hidden in part for fear of conflict with the Muggles of the world, if only due to weight of numbers.

2: Space Fantasy comes with the assumption that despite the interplanetary (or in the case of Star Wars, galactic) scale of the setting, magic is still a very relevant and powerful factor. As Vader put it, "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Basically, Space Fantasy magic will probably always beat urban fantasy magic for two reasons.

Relationship with technology:
    Urban Fantasy usually play with the idea that modern tech has either caught up with magic, or is rapidly doing so. Space Fantasy has magic still being on par with tech far in advance of our own. Magic hasn't changed world history in Harry Potter. Conflicts between Force-using factions are behind just about every major event in the Star Wars universe.

Scale:
    Urban Fantasy generally takes place in relatively small communities. Space Fantasy can cover an entire galaxy. Bigger settings will generally have magic that matches the proportions of their setting. While Star Wars has been very inconsistent about the power scale of Force users, things like Luke pulling a Star Destroyer out of orbit or Palpatine blasting the entire Resistance fleet with Force Lightning is a logical consequence of wanting your magic users to be as powerful as advanced sci-fi tech.