1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2020

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

Tenet trailer:

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Smells like time travel shenanigans.

I like it.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nolan is my favourite director, and Dunkirk was a disappointment. Glad to see him going back to form.

Dunkirk wasn't bad, it just wasn't his usual cerebral thriller.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    Comparing it to other Nolan things, it looks the most like Inception, which pleases me. My favorite Nolan film is Interstellar, but that film is perfect and great and doesn't need even a spiritual sequel or a same-genre competitor from the same director.

Looking at the Wikipedia page, I was right about time shenanigans.

Zimmer isn't listed in the music section on Wikipedia. Instead there's some guy whose film credits don't really inspire me, but I trust that Nolan wouldn't pick a talentless composer.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  5. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Why? I loved it, personally but I heard some mixed things about it. That said, Nolan is also my favorite director and it’s hard for him to go wrong as far as in concerned.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because it wasn't really a Nolan film. It was a historical reenactment. Yeah, questioning what was happening when was interesting, but... it did not compare to Interstellar and Inception imo.

7. pbluekan

Ah gotcha. The cinematography and overall structure was very Nolan, though.

Either way, very little will ever match up to Interstellar, and I definitely agree it is the best of his films by a very large margin.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Have any of y'all braved Cats? I'm curious to see if it's so fucking bad that it's amazing

9. pbluekan

I never liked the musical and I never liked any of the previous movie incarnations. I’m not even gonna bother.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, things I've seen this month (some of which came out at the very end of last year, but whatever), in no particular order.

JoJo Rabbit: opinion largely seems to be divided between it being an absolute classic or complete drivel; I found it very good for the most part, with some weaker areas, particularly in the latter parts, that stopped it being something really special.

1917: the trailers made me think this was going to be a blend of Dunkirk and Saving Private Ryan; it's actually much more Dunkirk, for better or worse. Technically very impressive, with a great, tense atmosphere and striking scenes, but didn't really have anything original or interesting story wise, or thematically. Very good, but probably more memorable for the technical wizardry than anything else.

Queen and Slim: a black couple go on the run after an altercation with a racist cop goes horribly wrong. A tense first half but meanders a little later, but a scattering of powerful moments, two compelling performances and the nicely done development from awkward first date to ride or die lovers makes it worth a watch.

Bombshell: the (broadly?) true story behind the Fox News sexual harassment scandal. I actually wasn't expecting much from this, as despite getting two acting nods at the Oscar's I've mostly seen lukewarm reviews, but it hit me a lot harder than I was expecting. Theron and Robbie are brilliant, Kidman less so, although that's more to do with her having much less focus (which, reading up on it, seems a little strange, given that her character is the one who kick started the whole thing). I suspect more could have been done with it, but what it does do is very effective.

Little Women and David Copperfield: I could rave about these two for ages, but I'll restrict myself to saying that they're both, in slightly different ways, utterly delightful, and easily the best films I've seen this month.

11. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

can't say I understand this sentiment. Critics are no more a homogenus group than fans are, and even if you dislike a specific critic just move on to someone else.

12. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I thought this trailer was better than the entirety of Hobbes and Shaw. Looks appropriately wild for a Fast movie.

Also great use of Kids See Ghosts

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In Fast10, ten bucks says Gal Gadot's character comes back as a cyborg.

"Who the hell is Han?"

14. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I gotta believe Gal will be in the end credits scene of this one in order to set up whatever the hook of the next movie is (kinda hoping they fight zombies)

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    All of my yes. It looks even more ridiculous and fun than FF8.

16. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

appreciate the franchise's continued insistence on giving Charlize the wildest of haircuts

17. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

So the Sonic movie already fucked with fast food sponsorship:

upload_2020-2-2_15-14-33.png

The only fast food sponsor should have been Sonic drive-in with the chili dogs.

18. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I know it's old news in America but Robert Egger's The Lighthouse recently came out in the UK and I saw it last night. Easily one of the greatest films I've seen in years, while it totally deserves it's nomination for Cinematography it's baffling that it's not nominated for a dozen other awards too. Nothing released last year comes close to how good this film is.

Still find it a little strange that Robert Pattinson of all people is just a brilliant actor.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I’ve found over the years that Pattinson has a lot more to offer than his role in Twilight and the “Shovelface” moniker would suggest. High Life is another good example from Pattinson’s recent filmography.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really couldn't make up my mind on High Life as a whole, but Pattinson was very impressive. I want to see the Lighthouse, but it's not showing at my local - debating travelling further afield for it.