1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Create your SI character

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by masterpeng, Feb 6, 2020.

1. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

No, this is a Jumpchain document, there exist a couple thousand of those for various settings. They are basically used as a single player game where you build your character with the Jump Documents and then write out ten years in that world, before choosing to either end the chain or have your 'Jumper' travel to a new setting with everything the purchased before. This continues until the Jumper dies, chooses to settle down or takes an End Jump(some high power setting like Dragonball or Warhammer 40k).

2. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Here is the Google Doc Link to the various Jumpchains/CYOA's available. The folder labeled "Series" contains the Harry Potter Jump that I posed near the beginning of the thread.

3. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

4. Heather_Sinclair

I'm not a giant fan of Jumpchains or CYOA's in general, or rather I'm not a fan of the vast majority of the stories involved. Usually they are just far too stagnant in their use: OP, Power-wank, etc.. However, I find them a decent way to spark ideas for characters in a story, and sometimes a decent plot or two.

It's a tool that's useful, but the overreaching idea of becoming progressively goldlike and curbstomping every universe you enter is frankly boring after the first few.

Hell, it sparked an idea that @Agent had of RP'ing.

I could see that. Five or ten DLP'ers enter Hogwarts as first years, at the same time, all using the HP Jump. LOL.

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

The big problem I ran into when coming up with an HP RPG is that combat is really tricky to get right. You either devolve into a take-turns-and-shoot-each-other-with-magic-guns system, or a more complex one that perhaps futiley approximates HP duels at the cost of playability. I've yet to stumble on an elegant solution.

6. Heather_Sinclair

Eh, RP'ing would be difficult to pull off that would result in fun times, but something like a round robin or some other large collaborative effort on a story would be amusing. Self-serving and lame to outsiders, but amusing nonetheless. I'd just be interested in seeing what everyone here would do in the given situation. Canon going off the rails, team-ups, plots against hated characters being countered by others, all out war in certain situations... basically an SI shitstorm, especially with those powers and items given in the CYOA.

7. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The trick then would be to do less "fight" scenes and treat it like a typical adventure. How many actual duels are there in the books? Definitely less than a dozen at most.

For example:

DM: You and your party come across the forbidden third floor. You've been advised to stay away from it but there's rumours of great treasure. What do you do?

Gryffindor: I go in to the room to claim the treasure.

Slytherin: I try to convince the Gryffindor to not go in and send the Hufflepuff instead.

DM: Roll for persuasion.

Rolls dice. Lands on whatever number is needed.

DM: The Hufflepuff goes in to the room and is faced with a giant three headed dog.

Hufflepuff: I conjure a giant bone and throw it in the opposite direction.

DM: Roll for Conjuring.

Rolls dice. Lands on the worst possible number.

DM: Your conjuring fails. Instead, you attract the dog's attention and it throws you out of the room and you land on your wand, breaking it in the process. You also lose two health points.

Ravenclaw: I drink three doses of my Felix Felicis and sneak pass the dog.

DM: Roll for sneaking. Adding Felix Felicis effect. Reducing health by three points.

Rolls dice. Land on best number.

DM: You successfully sneak pass the dog. Hidden in a corner, you find a baby version of the Cerberus and take it as a companion pet. You guide the rest of your party into the room and through a trap door on the floor.

Notes:
    Felix Felicis: Removes one negative outcome and add one positive outcome when dice is rolled. Lose one health point for each dose taken.

Baby Cerberus: Will sometimes bark in the presence of hostile characters. Pet will grow and barking will be more accurate for every year of Care of Magical Creatures completed.

Ideally, it would be a lot more fleshed out and the DM would be someone that's halfway decent at writing scenes and can improvise on the fly.

I'm not sure if the PDF @Heather_Sinclair linked should be used since it's too easy to make yourself OP. Just my combination alone (Nullify, wandless, quick reflexes) is ripe for abuse. Of course, the DM could just improvise on the fly.

8. Heather_Sinclair

I agree about the fight scenes in canon. Very few, and most of those can be dealt with in the traditional manner: Player vs. NPC.

The best way I've seen CYOA powers done in stories is adding them as you go instead of being OP'd at the start. Something happens in the plot, along the way that adds them to your abilities, and items are added the same way. Like the Dark Arts books would be acquired in the Room of Requirement, or stolen from Pureblood libraries, Knockturn Alley, etc. Earned instead of granted is my take on it.

You'll learn to do the nullify in fifth or sixth year (start off with spells sometimes misfiring around you for no apparent reason, and work your way up to causing it intentionally), physically work up to your quick reflexes, and practice/learn your wandless magic. It's much less OP'd that way. Walking into first year being able to defeat Dumbledore is a quick way to make the whole thing boring. Starting off with a minimum of talents, and knowledge of the world you're in, would be a much better tale to be told.

9. JuniorAL

JuniorAL Second Year

High Score:
    You're asking for a realistic take, so here I go.

Some interesting information to tell:
    • Who would you be?
    - Name: Erevan Johnson
    - Birthdate: 11/18/1959
    - Family: Orphan
    - Blood status: Muggle-born or unknown
    - Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
    - Profession later on: Divination Teacher at Hogwarts

I think I would be a real Seer while also being exceptionally good at Charms, Legilimency, Occlumency, and Non-Verbal magic. On the other hand, I believe I'd be average at every other area of magic, especially transfiguration and dueling.

I would then share all my knowledge with Dumbledore as soon as I can, so he can make the best decisions and take responsibility for them.

After I graduate and become a divination teacher at Hogwarts I would use my extra time there to study more magic.

This is my realistic take, I would try my best to stay out of trouble while giving all my support to Dumbledore.

10. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Some of my friends have been bugging me about running a D&D session for them (we're all newcomers). Maybe instead I'd ask if they want to roleplay this instead?

I think I could have quite a lot of fun with the theme, and it might make my partner (a huge HP fan) interested enough to take part.

Edit: any suggestions what roleplaying system I should use? I would aim to be mostly description oriented, with relatively minimal combat. (Yearly adventures.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  11. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Fuck using fake names, if I'm going to have a self-insert I'm using my own name.

I can't use my birth date (1990) because of the rules, so I'm using 1980.

Name: Andrela Astraan
    Birth Date: 1980, August 14th
    Family: Only child, living with witch mother. Muggle dad dead.
    Blood Status: Half-blood
    Hogwarts House: Slytherin
    Profession later on: Rich.

I think I would use the future knowledge of the books for my own selfish reasons.

Sure, helping to bring Voldemort down is good and all, but I want to secure my own position.

Self-inserts are after all an exercise in wish-fulfillment, so why shouldn't I be selfish?

Some things to note:

1. Learning Occlumency is mandatory. Nobody can see my memories and thoughts.

2. Always carry bezoar. In a world of crazy poisons that's just good planning.

3. Learn to defend myself as soon as possible. If I'm going to be in Slytherin that's just common sense.

Ultimate goals:

1. Acquire as much money as possible. Not sure if stealing the Philosopher's Stone is worth the risk, but it is something to think about.

2. I'm currently 29/30 years old, so ignore all romantic thoughts and situations until my self-insert body is at least 17/18. I'm no creep.

3. While having magic is useful, it would be nice to have a house elf.

4. Live long and prosper like a queen.

[​IMG]