1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC Cinematic Universe(s) General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Arthellion, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, what? Arrow Seasons 1 and 2 are widely considered the best of the series. Most people argue that S2 is better than S1 but everyone agree that those two and arguably S5 were the best of the show. S3 and S4 were terrible so I don't know where you're getting a "great middle" from. I will admit though that Damian Dhark was a fun villain to watch but the season overall was pretty much unbearable to watch. S5 looked to be a return to form but S6 and onwards show that wasn't the case.

2. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

Well, the CW Shows managed to create a connected universe better than the movies. Qualitywise I guess it depends on the movie.
    Wonder Woman, Man of Steel and Aquaman were all movies I liked well enough, in that order.
    BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad are a mess. Altough WB should be blamed for Justice League far more than the directors and writers. They wanted a tonal change halfway through production and they got it. Snyder probably wouldn't have done a better job, but a more consistent one.

Then there's the shows:
    Arrow: I only watched season 1, thought it was mediocre.
    Flash: I liked the first three seasons, even though they nerfed Flash's powers. 9 out of 19 times the villains wouldn't stand a chance, but that wouldn't make for good tv. The finale of season three and what followed has dampened my enthusiasm considerably.
    Funny thought: The more involved Iris becomes, the less interesting the show is.
    Legends of tomorrow: I was never interested to begin with. All the characters are just too minor.
    Supergirl: Season 1 was somewhat interesting. It goes downhill very fast, to the point where I stopped watching almost completely. I especially dislike the handling of Superman.
    Batwoman: Anyone else see that trailer? Talk about going woke.

Why the crossovers work: The shows didn't rush them. Period.
    Prime example:
    MCU: 5 movies (Iron Man 1+2, Thor, Captain America and The Incredible Hulk) before crossover (Avengers)
    DC: 1 movie (Man of Steel) before crossover (BvS - yes, it is a crossover, it has Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.)

Let's see where the DCEU goes from here.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The long gestating, if not necessarily awaited Black Adam, starring Dwayne Johnson, now has a firm release date. I have to say, I'm more enthusiastic about it than I would have been this time last year, as Shazam was great fun, and Johnson's got charisma to burn.

4. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Seems like they're going they're making him an anti-hero instead of just evil Captain Marvel.
    Thats certeinly reasuring

5. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Birds of Prey is a bit messy, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Well worth a watch.

6. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Hell yeah. It was kind of DC Deadpool. The tone was a bit jarring going from really silly to incredibly fucking creepy and uncomfortable, but overall a good movie.

7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Personally, I can't get over the fact that Birds of Prey is "Harley Quinn and a bunch of random characters who share the names of characters from Birds of Prey but are otherwise unrecognizable." But then, I was a big fan of the Birds of Prey comic.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This is why I'm not seeing it. I liked the BoP comics way too much to see them mangle the characters in such a way. And the studios still don't understand why the movie is tanking so bad. They think it's because of sexism, because Harley and the girls aren't "sexy" enough. Then they thought it was the title... so they changed that. I was like, "What? Yeah, that's totally the reason I'm not watching it. It couldn't be that my favorite BoP girls have been reduced to cheap imitations of themselves.

Why make a comic movie and have the characters virtually nothing like their comic counterparts? It boggles my mind.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe if you didn't abandon perfectly good fics, you wouldn't have to suffer like this.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This film tanking at the box office proves that you can't make a film successful just by throwing Margot Robbie in hot pants anymore.

2020 is wild.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DC needs to just do a complete reboot. Follow the Marvel Model. Give us three movies, Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Do a Trinity movie for phase one.
    Phase two introduce Robin. Lead towards Justice League. Etc.

I do believe it would work.

That said, they need to get the right people in there. THe problem is that DC is a mess. Their only decent success seems to be the CW-verse and cartoons. Get Bruce Timm back to deal with these movies and produce them.

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

And honestly, that's the worst insult of all. All the hundreds of millions of dollars they've wasted on movies, along with some great actors' time, and the low-budget emo-fest channel has the best entries of their entire (well, non-animated) library.

And I use the term "best" very loosely.

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    FWIW, the general consensus on Black Canary from fandom that I've seen, and Gail Simone in particular, is that this is one of the best takes on the character that there's been outside the actual comics. I can't really comment, not being particularly familiar with any of the characters beyond Harley. Huntress seems fairly accurate from what little I remember of her from other versions, but Cassandra Cain is definitely an original character given a canon name.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I will say this: Aquaman was great. Either more of this, or back to square one.

15. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Haven't seen it mentioned here, but in the latest Crossover Event in the CW Shows
    Ezra Miller's Flash shows up and interacts with Grant Gustin's Flash.
    It's quite a monumental step and one that Marvel haven't taken in a long time.

But yeah, I vote complete reboot. It's a mess. Yeah, people say DC shouldn't just copy Marvel and should instead do their own thing but the thing is, Marvel has cracked the formula. This is how Superhero movies, and Cinematic Unvierse movies for that matter, should be made. Individual movies followed up by a teamup. It's the tried and trusted way.

It's like trying to make a whole piece of software out of binary. Why do you need to when the work has already been done for you? Just use something that's already been made.

If the Arrowverse hadn't expanded as far as it did, I would have just said slap the CW characters onto the big screen. Tom Welling as Superman (He definitely has the physique now), Grant Gustin as The Flash and Stephen Amell as Green Arrow (Though he's basically Batman in all but name so can make that move but it's risky).

16. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Really, I think the big problem with DC's movies is that a lot of the players there still seem stuck in edgy 90s comic book movie mode, where they want to make comic book movies that view the source material with mild contempt. A big part of the MCU's success has been making comic book movies that aren't ashamed of being comic book movies.

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    Pattinson looking good in the Batsuit

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    Other images
    [​IMG]

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    Batmobile.

I love it

[​IMG]

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno man. After the Tumbler and even Batfleck's armored Le Mans car this one is kinda meh. Looks too much like a normal car, at least from this angle.