1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. anonymouse the First

anonymouse the First First Year

too many shitty SIs, and I'm curious about how it would end up.

Also, to each their own.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean, it wouldn't be a terrible way to do a character study, explore the nature of the character and how they respond to such a dramatic change in their life.

Similarly, it also has potential as a way to explore modern society and how it compares to Westeros. There's some potential for some pretty powerful critiques of modern society, and especially the aspects people don't like to talk or think about, by drawing parallels to the more objectively negative aspects of Westeros society.

I don't have any faith that there's more than one or two fanfic authors with the talent and maturity to do either of those things justice, and as a result I'd be pretty shocked if a good example of the idea existed. But there's definitely some potential for good stories from that idea.

3. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    If Ao3 does one thing well, it's that you can filter out such thing as 'Modern AU' - which is pretty much what he's asking for.

Scholar's Mate by WriteGirl - Ao3

Somewhat of a retelling of season 8 with few minor changes to the timeline (i.e, Barristan lives (for some reason??)) but features a less oblivious Jon, Sansa who isn't some Lady Stoneheart/Sansa fusion and Daenerys who actually uses her smaller assets to assist in her taking of the throne.

It isn't great but it's readable, which is sadly the best you'll get with the state the fandom is in.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Because that's someone that, barring all else might be bad or good about this story, knows how to right the most grievous wrong that D&D committed against a character in the show.

5. TheAnimaniacDude

TheAnimaniacDude Second Year

I wouldn't complain about that at all, really - Barristan being killed was one of the first pants-on-head retarded divergences from the book, and Dumb & Dumber admitted that they did it expressly because they didn't like the actor and wanted to get rid of him.

We're going to be in an absolute state for a while, until George finishes WoW in 2020 like he promised. Then the bad taste will be washed out of everybody's mouths and we can all get on with our lives.

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Maybe, I have quite a lot of doubt Martin can manage a good book. There isn't even a proper book between Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragons. Too much sprawling and filler that there's never a resolution. With how long George has taken to make this narrative mess, I don't believe he can resolve it.

7. Paladin

Paladin Defender of the Faith

High Score:
    This is what's called "not nailing down a consistent plot, and then abandoning important things you laid the groundwork for in Books I and II, and adding subplots and characters and more subplots and lore--" and oh gee, he's taking a literal decade to write the next book, and he refuses to use anything other than an ancient piece of shit word processor and floppies so he has to call people to canon check his own books for him.

Don't be like Martin, kids.

Also, so the thread stays on topic, I'd like to suggest my own story: Deep Wells, Deep Deeds. More of an in depth look at Robert's Rebellion than a lot of other stuff, with a perspective a bit closer to the ground level than not.

8. TheAnimaniacDude

I thought Martin had a filing cabinet of his own lore, not that he had to call other people. I did know he refuses to modernize his writing tech, though, which is completely bonkers.

9. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    He relies pretty heavily on Elio. The guy who wrote the companion book. He definitely has his own lore bits. But even back in the early 2000s he was regularly relying on Elio for help keeping things straight. They pretty much have a system from what ive seen from interactions with both of them where George thinks things up and then Elio keeps track of it all. Not the obvious big things like the plot or characters, but all the hundreds of little details (sigils, obscure family trees, ancient history and lore, etc)

10. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    What is a promise? - Assa-h

Snippets and short stories. In an ironic repeat of history, with his last dying breath Ned makes Catelyn promise to accept Jon. Mainly follows her perspective with some of Theon thrown in due to him no longer being in Winterfell, the chapters are.. chapters, at best and some just a dozen or so lines. Robb learns to become a Lord early on, Theon matures rapidly with The Mannis and Patchface is literally part god.

11. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Has there been anything worth reading on AH for the past year or so? I'll forgive a lot for a Jon who isn't a short angsty idiot.

12. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    I haven't seen anything apart from SI's on there for a long while, definitely no new Competent!Jon stories. Plus the site updated it's UI.. which looks like a downgrade.

13. TheAnimaniacDude

SOON.

(within the next 24 hours)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  14. TheAnimaniacDude

15. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I am fucking ready for the redacted arc.

16. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

What's this about a redacted section?

17. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    Shit's about to get weird.

A tempest, a cylcone, a goddamned hurrican - Dialux

There’s nobody named Lyarra in Winterfell, according to her father; the last person who bore that name was his mother, and she was buried decades ago. Sansa speaks to her the next day.

Sansa can see ghosts, this doesn't stop her from going to Kings Landing but it does prepare her for leaving. (It's a bit cray albeit decent time waster)

18. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

its good i've read it before, tbh it sounds like your typically tumblr garbage, but the lack of shipping saves it.

3/5

19. TheAnimaniacDude

I'm keeping the name of the upcoming arc a secret because I don't want to give it away, but I'm also very excited for it.

20. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

I thought it was a neat idea with a lot of cringy moments but as someone mentioned, no shipping rescued it somewhat. It's of course very mary sue and if author would have just stuck with the "able to see ghost's"-theme, and not added any other 'abillitys', it would have been way more readable. Also the 'conflict' with Jon in chapter 4 is just stupid.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020