1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Peace Talks - Dresden Files [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like Dresden and Marcone getting dressed was the setup for a scene during the actual peace talks.

It also reeks of Butcher knowing that the fangirls will be creaming. He knows what sells and he knows Dresden/Marcone is buttermilk to the hordes of fans who also ship Snarry and Dean/Sam.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The trailer was actually pretty sweet. The casting was decent. I kinda wish we had that as a tv series now.

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm thinking these two books might give us a TV show. I'm pretty sure we would have had another one had the gap between books not been so long.

Also, Q/A so far:

Well.... shit.

Who is gonna die and what powerup is Dresden gonna get?

Edit: Especially as this mini-story is after Battle Grounds apparently.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

This is really awesome and it’s fucking with my sleeping schedule big time.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

6. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Two books in a single year? Wow. That's a delight I haven't seen from Butcher since he was working on Codex Alera.

Hoping for Murphy to die!

7. Todeswind

Todeswind Groundskeeper

I feel obligated to ask why?

8. Seratin

High Score:
    Doesn't matter, Murphy is based on his ex wife. She's getting killed off soon. Also she's bound to be touching 50 soon, right?

9. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Murphy's roughly the same age as Dresden, which as-of Skin Game was mid-late thirties. Dresden's in his early-mid 20s in Storm Front (I wanna say 23, but could be wrong) and it's at most 15 years between Storm Front and Skin Game, likely closer to 12.

Both Dresden and Murphy should be somewhere in the 35-40 range.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Murph is one of the best characters, you all suck. Can we kill Molly permanently instead? :p

11. nahbutualright

nahbutualright Slug Club Member

How about Butters, so we can pretend the goddamn Lightsaber of the Cross never happened?

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I don't care what and of y'all say, I'm excited and looking forward to sinking into two new Dresden novels.

@Lindsey thanks for posting that short story. I hadn't read it before now, but it made me happy.

13. Zeelthor

Main argument for Murphy dying is the sheer amount of plot armour she's had over the course of the series, honestly. She's a great character (sometimes a shitty person) but I just feel like it's the sort of thing Butcher would do. Let Dresden/Murphy have some nice, cutesy, domestic bliss and then right before the big Peace Talks, she dies. Probably due to Fomor Fuckery. ;)

Butters can also die because there's no way he beats Nicodemus and nothing will convince me of otherwise.

As for Molly @Ched I am deeply troubled to hear such heresy from ya. :D

Either way, two books. TWO FUCKING BOOKS YA'LL! :D

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wasn't a fan of Ghost Story. Cold Days was meh. But I did enjoy Skin Game. I'm hoping that those three will mostly encompass the "Changes" from the first half of the series to the second, and I'm greatly looking forward to these next ones.

I haven't done a full re-read in a while. I think I read Books 1-4 twice. Books 5-11 though? At LEAST 3 times each, with some of them having been re-read half a dozen times. I'm contemplating doing a full re-read before the new ones come out or at least just 12-15, since I've only read Ghost Story and Cold Days once each.

Fingers crossed we're back into badass territory from here forward... though I think I'll always miss some of the earlier books when Dresden was primarily a detective and secondarily a wizard. In hindsight it seems a bit like that's one of the fundamental things that Changes, well, changed. By the time Turn Coat came up, sure, the 'detective' part was centered on 'who killed the bigwig wizard' but still. I never quite realized that might be where the focus shift occurred until now - since Ghost Days he's been more a wizard/magical than a detective, for all that Ghost Days was about solving his own murder.

Or am I just waxing poetic and seeing what I want to see?

Looking forward to these books. If he can keep up a once-per-year release going forward he'll regain a lot of his momentum I think. One 'long' delay is one thing, but more than one will be exponentially harder to recover from, imo.

15. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I'm with you on ghost story. COuldnt care about that. I enjoyed Cold Days a good deal though. TBH ive not seen any decline in Butcher's work. Just the opposite actually. With the exception of Ghost Story (again meh) I actually feel like his books steadily improved over the series. The first couple like Storm Front or Fool Moon were ok but nothing special. I think his writing continued to improve with every book, hitting a peak somewhere around Proven Guilty and its pretty much stayed at that level since (again with the exception of ghost story)

16. Zeelthor

This goes over a lot of the old established stuff such as how he came to write the books etc, but it also has him explain what happened to Peace Talks/Battle Ground.

TLDR: Book ended up well over 300k words, with a hard-left turn at the middle, and the publishers went "uh dude, this is way too long." Hence the split into two books.

On an unrelated topic, I am digging the beard.

17. Seratin

High Score:
    Okay so turns out Murphy is 43/44 but still.

18. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I came across an official book 'trailer' (I'd never heard of someone doing this before, but here it is). This looks to have been put together by Butcher and then some of his beta / mod team from his old forums.

19. Seratin

High Score:
    Nobody flame this man, Im'ma watch it again.

20. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Ah damn, it was already posted, woops. I'd originally posted this on the other thread before realizing this thread existed too and asked for them to be merged...