1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mountainous Mafia #3: Desperate times, desperate measures

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vaimes, Mar 24, 2020.

1. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    I would say that yes grape frequently focuses on me but only because I'm
    Well
    Often the center of attention.

Id also guess hes played more games with me than hes played with <everyone else here combined> with vaimes modding

2. Umami

Umami Squib

Grape just seemed slightly protective of you so thought I'd ask. I mean I can understand trying to push someone to then see reactions but I could also see trying to push someone to see if it could gain traction as scum and then when it didn't work just saying that it was botched so you didn't get any useful information. I did think it was strange that, after saying it was a botched attempt to just evaluate reactions to a tom push, grape still seems to sort of stand by his initial observation that tom's observation without an aggressive push was weird to him. So...I that was a long way of saying I know nothing. Did you get any read on their interaction?

Headed to bed
    --- Post automerged ---
    fair enough

3. Keldeo

Keldeo Muggle

Do you have an opinion on the reasoning or accuracy of my read on Grape in #271?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Umami's recent posts feel kind of weird to me. Her one liner on acting on her fonti read seems disproportionate to the reasoning especially when she isn't voting fonti (I think.) Maybe it was a joke?

@Umami If fonti is a wolf, what do you think is her motivation to have that discussion with you that led to her defending you to tom? Do you have any thoughts about Gemma given the recent interaction between her and fonti?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Shrug, I don't know if the weirdness transfers to an alignment read. I guess the continued focus on a page 1 post is just a bit weird to me coming from either town or mafia.
    --- Post automerged ---
    @Sloth - I don't have any real solid reads. I'll tier people and talk about the ones I don't think I've touched on.

Feel kinda good about: Sloth, tom, fonti
    Feel a little good about: grape, fire, Umami
    No strong opinion on: The Waco Kid, Seratin, TerRaine, Cuthalion, M Plus 7, Fluffiness
    Gemma: I feel like I should have a stronger conclusion on her, but I don't. I probably just want to townread her.

tom is a larger-scale version of my read on grape, where I feel like he might package stuff like his fonti and Gemma reads in a more crowd-pleasing way if he wanted to steer people toward them. The caveat here is that I'd probably read him this way regardless of his actual alignment?

I should look back at grape. I'm particularly interested in how he weighs in on the recent Gemma/fonti interaction.

Fire has very straightforwardly suggested somewhat aggressive plans while he seems to believe that mafia are cautious and hide. This is probably a hasty read.

In the end, I guess the idea that Umami might be town for her readiness of posting also applies to her recent posting.

I don't really have any scumreads or people I'd especially like to vote.

4. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Whats more crowd pleasing than a mythbusters reference?

5. Keldeo

Keldeo Muggle

Haha, I think the concept I'm looking for is more like, crowd-digestible?

I feel like I had the same thought about you in the MCU game where you were mafia so I should probably not be using the read.

What meme is Gemma being a moving target positionally, if you had to pick?

Well, recently I've been playing mafia while stuck inside but we'll see how that goes. :p

I recently finished the show Mr. Robot. It gets dark and weird at points but it's a pretty well-crafted thriller imo.

I've also been meaning to read Ted Chiang's short story collection Exhalation for months, maybe I'll finally pick it up now. I've already read a couple of the stories in it and would probably recommend it just based on those.

How about you? Is there a particular genre you're into?
    --- Post automerged ---
    I probably won't be around at all tomorrow.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't have any solid reasoning at this point. I guess in your case you're coming across as trying to take the bull by the horns, sit everyone down and go through what we can. Yeah you could be proactive scum and trying to divert attention on to other people but my first impression of it is that you're genuine.

Umami's read on Font is boiled down to not liking post #6 which advocates not talking about the gun. Which I get. I thought that was super early too. I think she was just trying to be town police there and suggest a reasonable policy. If she were scum I can't see her going out on a limb like that super early.

Gemma's recent posts have been centered around her stating that she's being lazy and that feels more like someone who's trying to get out of a hole while not making a scene about it.

On the other hand Gemma said she didn't like Tom's post after her interaction with Font and he asked her to "tell him the word when she comes up with it."

@tom I came up with the word. "Shit-stirring."

That post came across like you were leaning back on a chair with your fingers steepled whispering, "Dance monkeys."

So yeah, leaning towards Gemma or Tom.

7. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    [​IMG]

8. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Which interaction are you talking about?

You mean re: him being unaligned with tom? I don't know, I'd have to have it in front of me to be able to comment on it seriously and I'm not feeling well enough right now to do that. It didn't seem obviously terrible in any particular way. You're putting out good thoughts in general, keep at it.

9. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    I dig this aesthetic but can I be spinning in the chair stroking very fluffy cats and calling them "poppets"?

10. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Let's go with duplicitous for 400. Not a word I'd ever use in a sentence.

11. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Keldeo: Given your thoughts on Gemma in #255, #257 & #261, can you explain a bit why you want to town-read her? It seemed like you were making a case for the opposite.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Am somewhat comfortable saying Fonti/Gemma not aligned for the moment

Ugh, just got home from a 12 hour shift and don't have the energy to finish catching up, I'll get back to it in the afternoon

12. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

Honest answer not feeling 100% yesterday and today (headaches not Corona) I'll try to do catch up later

13. Umami

Umami Squib

Yeah, I really don't know what to make of fonti or gemma. And, after some sleep and reconsidering the fonti/gemma debate, I agree that fonti prob wouldn't react that way as a wolf if gemma is town because that would be next level emotionally manipulative and she doesn't strike me as that type of person. That doesn't necessarily mean that gemma's a wolf--I'll have to look back at other people's accusations

I also don't have any strong reads. But I also feel like I need to at least attempt to contribute reads, so that was my attempt at contributing a read. The Tom thing I didn't read much into. Either as town or scum she would want to explore alignments and wouldn't just hop on any wagon. I know, everyone says don't read into early game, but I think early game is where an easy mistake could potentially be made so thought it was worth mentioning since no one really noted it. However, I've mentioned it, and general vibe is that it's not worth discussing so I'll let it go. Not that stuck on it.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Re-watching scrubs for something light/easy. And keeping up with Survivor and Australian Survivor. I should give Mr. Robot a shot, but don't want to stress haha. I'll have to check out Exhalation. I honestly haven't read a book for fun in so long, but would love to get into a good series. I tend to like most genres as long as there's plot-driven character development. That said, could definitely use some escapism right now, so maybe something in the fantasy genre.

14. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Ok so this post is duplicitious and shit-stirring?

I still think its factual.
    I dont know if its alignment indicative, but this is (extremely reductively) what gemma said.

Like, this boils down to "you scum or you trolling?"
    And this just walks it back a bit and reinforced that positional/moving target thing where she doesnt actually want to get in to this rn
    ...which is fair regardless
    If gemmas scum its "i havent been scummy yet what are doing" vs "im just being normal what do" as town and its not a big difference.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I want to read into going after me (AKA an easier target) in lieu of mixing it up with fonti a bit. But i guess I'll just let her try to explain it... or just dance away again and keep trying to find the right position.
    Which is still what her overall presence in this game is about to me. Looking for things to push but not wanting to stay still.

Idk i still dont have real words here. Because as i type that im asking myself "ok so whys she not town looking for a foothold," and i dont have an answer for myself.

15. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

Grouping these two together:

I don't think Sloth's push is particularly NAI.

I don't have any past experience with Grape, but he seems articulate enough that assuming that's the best his cases get feels fairly insulting, and he doesn't strike me as the sort of player to make an obscure push on someone that is obviously not going to go through just for the kicks. I think Tom is both an easy enough and obvious enough target (in general) that he'd be just about the worst possible person (with the exception of fonti, maybe) for someone like grape to intentionally do that as a wolf to a villager, even if my read on his playstyle is off.

@Sloth, does it really read as aggressive to you?

Your workflow is different in that your presence is more evenly distributed and you're more engaged with the individual people. My impression of you last game was that there were loads of gears spinning at all times even when you weren't around or specifically engaged with a particular topic, and then posts rode on the back of that and had a certain... confidence? which would seem odd if it was just the posts in isolation but made sense with the intense internal process that showed through every now and then. Your posts in this game match up pretty well with that with the caveat that you're more evenly spread out.

Thus my post, trying to understand if there's any point in me comparing this game to that game (because Keldeo feels substantially similar to that game) or if I should just treat him as a blank slot in that respect. I don't see what my alignment that game has to do with this?

Echoing what other people said, I don't think Gemma would ever do that on purpose regardless of alignment and I don't think Fonti is a wolf ~ever (set aside "skill level as a wolf", whoever said that, the emotional price for that sort of strategy as wolf is very high). I don't really know what to make of the other side of the equation, though. Tom pushing Gemma is... villagery, but he's entirely self-aware and I'm not super confident on that yet.

Seconding this, I had the same conclusion after reading that section.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm having a hard time reconciling my view of groot with my view of sloth and I'm not sure how much of it was anon game tone and I don't want to base all of my reads on MCU.

16. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Like I said, I don't think it was deliberate. I think she was aiming for like a 2 out of 10 on the sting fonti scale, and accidentally hit a 6. The fact that she was aiming to sting me at all over voting her is the real problem.

I also think her assuming my push was serious when it was actually joking is a guilty mindset thing. Like, she was expecting me to scumread her and interpreted my posts in that light.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Sloth was Rocket, @Cuthalion. Groot was Tammy.

17. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    No cuth i dont want to go in the pocket.

18. Umami

Umami Squib

Where were you going with this?

19. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

That explains it, yeah.
    It has extra warm lint and some spare change!

20. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    This makes me feel a bit better about my read.

I definitively dont think Gemma's strategy as any alignment was "I'm gonna pick at fontis childhood insecurities"
    But I do think that exchange with fonti was some degree of manipulative dismissal.

Folds into my thinking. Gemma trying to shrug fonti off and push a surrogate instead (in this case me, a not-fonti presence also pushing her) is avoiding that foothold she'd be looking for in the town version of how shes approaching this game.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ftr, this is still not a strong read.
    Its still day 1, and I can still see the town side of things without even having to squint that hard.

=randscum is 23% this game, and dont think my adjusted spread is very wide

Fonti 15%
    Gemma 30%
    Everyone else in between

Feels about right