1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mountainous Mafia #3: Desperate times, desperate measures

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vaimes, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Sloth

Sloth Professor DLP Supporter

Aggressive wrt Grape, needs to be specified. A move like that isn't necessarily aggressive from me or Ter or several players (though this early, maybe?) but my experience with Grape as town has had him be mostly a background fixture for large parts of early game, and/or blindly sheeping other players. This is a deviation from the norm.
    If it helps (sorry, back to MCU) he was Spider-man in MCU.

But to ask me the question I just asked Umami: Is it scummy though?
    Kinda waiting on something for that, but that first paragraph of yours mindmelds with me more than you realize.

...say this again, but better - I do not understand what you're trying to say, or why it's relevant to this game.

2. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Seeking a replacement for Gemma.

3. Sloth

This is such a strange place to stand your ground on.
    Umami, limiting scum intake on this and ideas for the gun is a good thing. We don't want to help them make the better decision, which we may well do by talking about it - there's always, no matter what, at least a 1% possibility that any talk on the gun helps scum.
    There's a 0% possibility of helping them by not. So we don't. Font's objectively right here.

It's also not detrimental to town as much as you seem to think it is, but that's another thing we should not delve into until it's actually happened.
    --- Post automerged ---
    @Umami give me your impressions on tom so far.

4. Umami

Umami Squib

Hello, heads up this isn't going to be very detailed cause feeling tired.

I also think scum are more likely to be cautious very early in the game and as a result some may lurk. In response to bolded, I'm not sure how to clarify. I think when there is a lot of discussion going on or a lot points of contention it is probably easier for scum to adopt a town mindset. Like if people are making arguments, you can dissect arguments independent of your role. Whereas if scum is generating a read from almost nothing, they probably have to be more cautious not to let their extra knowledge influence their post.

Fonti's rebuttal cited specific responses and broke down how they were out of norm for Gemma in a persuasive way. Contrasted with Gemma's general evasiveness, which other people have already described

5. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Can you elaborate on this?

6. Sloth

Erm. UNVOTE

7. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Ooh you ever heard phighter's "starting pitcher" read?

8. Osieorb18

Osieorb18 Muggle

I do not believe that I was in that game.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Explain it again, Dad! Explain it again!

9. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Well I couldnt find the original, so I guess Ill try.
    With the caveat that i dont actually know this information because baseball is stupid so im kind of guessing...

It basically goes that good pitchers/wolves come in throwing their best stuff and it works great at first but later on the opposing hitters/town start figuring them out.
    But GREAT pitchers/wolves have to find their way into the game. Getting in the hitters'/townies' heads to start throwing the right pitches for the situation rather than tiring out their arms throwing heat.
    So they might give up a base hit or two in the first inning but then start throwing a great game.

Afair theres no mention of shit pitchers/wolves in this read. Because there doesnt need to be.

10. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Why are you making sense?
    Vote: tom
    Unvote

Hmmm that's a good point. I thought she had felt oddly defensive in spots before but I hadn't made this connection

11. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Im gonna go see about finding another scumread.

Lol rereading before ~day 3
    --- Post automerged ---
    Lets do this:
    1. fire
    2. Seratin
    3. Gemma
    4. Grapefruit21
    5. Sloth
    6. TerRaine
    7. Keldeo
    8. tom
    9. fontisian
    10. Cuthalion
    11. M Plus 7
    12. The Waco Kid
    13. Umami
    14. Fluffiness
    Tom has been a major driver of conversation and actually feels fairly transparent for tom. Obviously still in his ranges but good enough for day 1.

Sticking with the mythbusters read on fonti. Might turn on her later.

Taking the 3 newish players as a group, id rank them seratin>fire>umami town>scum. Really watching them all work their way in/gears turning/etc

Cuth... still vague feels hes treating me like he knows im town but thats just an incredibly unreliable read. Outside that... he seems really untroubled about leaving connections which is a decent sized +town from cuth.

I like grapes forthrightness read on waco, sheeping it a little
    Outside that, both of them along with keldeo and sloth are in this pile of "has done stuff but i dont totally care about it"
    Keldeo specifically feels a bit like the "wolf suffering from TMI" trope where hes just trying not to ruffle any feathers.

Terr, m+7, fluff all pretty null.

So:
    Tom
    Fonti

Sera
    Cuth

Waco
    Sloth

Fire
    Grape
    Fluff
    Terr
    M+7

Keldeo
    Umami

Gemma

12. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Can you explain your thought process on Umami's 293 to me a bit more?

13. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

I think "pointlessly aggressive" would be one of the first descriptors of his play in MCU to come to mind for me. I guess I'm not seeing how that push was that, at all. If anything I would more suspect it to be purposefully non-aggressive, so maybe agree to disagree for now?
    Wot.

I was responding to Gemma, who was like what is this this doesn't make sense you can't make a meta read on Keldeo sounding like Black Widow because you were a wolf and he was a villager. If you don't get what I'm trying to say, it's probably because I'm replying to a post that I genuinely don't understand.
    --- Post automerged ---
    It's a nice read, but massively playerlist dependent. I think the people in this game are distributed fairly evenly between people who'd be confident in dishing it out early on as wolves in the right circumstances and people who'd be intimidated and having a hard time posting, so I'm dubious about actual applicability (I know you're not making a read here as much as talking about the initial "wolves are likely to be quieter" read but eh).

14. M Plus 7

M Plus 7 Squib

I had less time than I thought, my apologies all. I will try harder to just be around when I can. Working from home but at least we have spring break next week so that free up a bit more for me.

I at least managed to catch up to post #150, will have to try to finish tomorrow... and I desperately want to actually interact with folks in real time ASAP.

Here are my thoughts so far at least:

tom

fonti
    Sloth

Keldeo

Everyone else is still in the nebulous "trying to sort" category, working through my thoughts on them. I need more data.

tom has felt genuine to me all throughout; I really started townreading him actively until #49 for genuine interrogation of the analogy, and then later on I especially liked #109 (for the thoughts on Cuth especially, not sure mafia thinks of that), #111 (tone in the bandwagon statement is pure AF) and #127 for the subsequent reply to Grape that again felt like genuine, active scumhunting. Many posts tom has made read like genuinely pushing the game forward for the sake of solving it and I do not have any current reason to believe any of it is faked. I also like that I have mindmelded with him quite a bit on opinions such as the read of Sloth.

fonti has been my strongest soul read for the most part so it is hard to explain why I like her other than that she just feels very town to me. As for a specific post that did catch my eye though I really like her #146 where she continues to try to get into Umami's head for the sake of trying to get a read.

Sloth has had some townie posts as well, I initially liked the tone in #67 in response to Waco, I liked the questioning of Gemma in #83, and subsequent questioning of Waco in #93 -- like a dog with a bone kind of questioning that reads very townie to me. #148 questioning of Grape reads good too.

Basically I most like what those three are doing in this thread. Pushing the game forward, trying to solve, etc. None of it has felt particularly forced to me.

Keldeo is a tough one, his style and tone actually seem a bit similar to mine... but nonetheless I feel like I'm going to have a tough time sorting him because most of his posts have been questions -- some good ones for sure -- and I like that he followed up at times with his own observations such as in #113 but I am going to need to see more in terms of how all of his questions are actually informing his reads, and I would like to interact with him at some point about that as well. For now I am shaking my read out as slightly town if I held a gun to my own head.

Umami, I noticed you asked for my opinions, so hopefully this at least addresses that. I wasn't inspired by you voting for someone inactive but I don't really feel anything negative about it either. Let's try to connect later.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe, and TTYL! Happy to playing mafia again.

15. Sloth

No idea who phighter is, but I do get this. Correct me if wrong, but it's essentially the common play for strong scum right? i.e. Players that are considered good at scumplay are the ones that pulled off being widely townread based on their pitches.
    Are you seeing something here on that, or were you playing along with my church joke?

16. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

I'm just happy to see a baseball reference. Not sure I agree with the great pitchers thing, but I get the idea

17. Sloth

eh, fuck it, direct route it is: Tom, are you seeing what I'm seeing on Keldeo? Re: His plays / responses to the Gemma/Font discussion?
    Get back to me. I haven't voiced it cause it's very light and I wanna see if he does it again in other settings.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also I know these reads are not fully formed, but a rainbow wall 72 hours into D1? I feel like we're back in 2010.
    Which was a decade ago.

Wow.

18. Cuthalion

Cuthalion Squib

This seems... excessively in depth, especially after all the talk that happened early game.

19. Osieorb18

Osieorb18 Muggle

I used to try to make a rainbow read wall within the first 100 posts. I still have yet to make one as the very first post in a game. But one can always dream.

20. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Welcome Osieorb! Pretty sure I've seen a first post rainbow before (it was just the player-list with colors added)

How caught up are you? Any thoughts on Fire & Umami?