1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PS4] FF7R: Damn, Jessie is Thirsty

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Apr 11, 2020.

1. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I don't recall 6 being remade that way (it's been ported to a few different systems over the years, and it got a pretty crappy iOS reskin most recently). You're probably thinking of the DS remake of 4.

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Ah, you might be right. I might also be getting tripped up by the complete nonsense of the early FF localization numbering.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit I love the Sector 5 set design. It's fucking gorgeous. I am storing so many screen shots for this game.

4. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

5 and 6 got some kind of bad phone ports and that's it, They only did the HD sprite remakes for 1,2 and 4 on PSP with 3 getting a DS remake and then a updated remake for PSP that removed the dumb DS streetpass bullshit and just made it happen as you go through the story and those are what ended up on Steam IIRC. Hence why in a recent interview one of the directors was like "So uh hey, 5 and 6 kind of got skipped over in the remake train, somebody (we) should do something about that."

Also for design, be careful, I've only seen some slow texture loading on rare occasions but some people are experiencing more major issues. 1.0.0 issues about I suppose. Although wasn't the reason for not moving the release forward because of a Day 1 Patch? Whatever happened to that thing?

5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would pay a lot for a FF6 remake.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Everyone has a massive hard on for 6. I've tried to play it so many times, but each time the opening has bored me to tears and I just drop it...

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I was always more partial to 4. The lack of a true dedicated central protagonist sort of kept 6 from ever achieving quite the same status with me, though I do acknowledge it as a masterpiece of the SNES era.

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Same. 5 is more my jam, tbh.

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of the reasons there should be a remake, because it's harder to get into it as the classic version.

10. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Yeah for me I've always preferred 5 to 6. That said I'd like both to get a remake of course. And then skip straight to 9 and be done with all this remake nonsense..

11. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I never played 5. Is it still worth going back to play? I am not one of those people who get super hung up on the graphics.

12. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

FF5 is still the best mainline game gameplay wise in my opinion. It's also probably the hardest. Its story is a bit hit or miss however so if you go in expecting some sprawling epic... you'll be sorely disappointed. As for gameplay it uses a job system and you can set a second ability (whether passive or active) that you have learned. You can of course switch at any time. Leveling a job is done via AP from enemies. It also tends to have a pretty low average level for beating it too (like... low 30s?). I'd say it's worth playing if none of that turns you off. Oh it's also our first instance of X-Cast, X-Fight and Blue Magic.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Everything about the Wall Market chapters is delightful. Except for the squat game. Fuck that noise.

14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Six has always suffered in the storytelling department on account of the sheer number of characters you get, compounded by going for more an ensemble than having a central protagonist and making the second half of the game far more open-ended than you normally see in a Square game.

I think it telling that Square substantially reduced the number of characters in games after six.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Squatting is fine. Protip, turn music and voices to 0 and sfx to 10.

The dancing thing for the trophy is just fucking obnoxious though. 'Stylish' camera just spazzing all over the place so you can't see the button prompts.

16. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well I just beat the game and... I'm not seeing why there's so much controversy, is it really just because it's not a 1:1 HD remaster? Because like... for all the changes, things are still pretty much the same as when they left Midgard in 7 just with a few people alive that weren't and some near early reveals if some spectres weren't dicks. I doubt those will be back either so... eh?

17. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I think a lot of the critique has to do with the... sleight of hand... Square Enix did here. This reddit comment sums it up well:

I know this is an exceptionally hot topic, but I am thrilled with how this story went. While a true, faithful, modern remake of FFVII is very appealing, there’s something invigorating about Nomura taking the characters and story beats we love and remixing them. Believe it or not, there’s a rational to creating a story that will shock both longtime fans and new players.

I understand that some people feel disenfranchised because this game was mismarketed as being a genuine remake rather than a remix/canon reboot/reimagining. That’s completely fair but I’m sure they aren’t going to be absolutely altering the story, just pieces here and there.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Who should I put refocus on? I feel like Tifa uses it best, as it allows her to really go crazy with chains, and her normal somersault LB is pretty mundane.

Aerith could be a contender as well, with arcane ward and thus quad spells.

19. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Honestly? Barrett is the best for Refocus mostly because a few of his skills scale based on number of bars filled. Tifa fills up her bars fast enough to spam them as long as you leave her at level 3 mode. Aerith I never let reach full anyways. Cloud would actually be pretty good as he has a skill later that does massive damage to staggered enemies but costs two bars so a 3rd bar lets him stock up for that and still have 1 bar to play around with.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Barrett is my tank though. I don't have him set up to do big damage. Usually just set provoke, barrier, steelskin, lifesaver etc, and let him soak.