1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. blob

blob Seventh Year

So I'm actually enjoying Doom Eternal less than the 2016 version.

The obnoxious UI, the tiny amount of ammo requiring you to chainsaw all the time so enemies turn into colorful loot pinatas, the utterly worthless melee that needs 10 hits to kill imps, glory kills being all but mandatory, some enemies that must be killed in certain ways or you waste tons of ammo like cacos, the weird item placement (D16 had weapons next to a soldier's corpse, D20 has them randomly floating in a train car), the unnecessary platforming and climbing sections, the general 'lolsoepic' background lore, the incredibly frustrating purple goop and so on. None of that is a major problem on its own but there's so many small annoyances that it all adds up to a fair amount of frustration.

I much preferred D16's take on the story, for that matter. In D16 Doomguy unceremoniously smashed the computer spouting exposition; D20 has cutscenes, however rare. All in all, it feels more like a solid Serious Sam game rather than Doom. It's still a good game and one that's very fun to play, but I hoped for something a bit different.

There's also some notable improvements, though. Difficulty is worlds better than '16, in which the entire game was too easy aside from the highest setting in which imps were by far the most dangerous enemy in the game. Plenty of new critters to stomp on, too, and despite being on the fence about the plethora of jumps, double jumps and dashes I cannot deny it does make combat movement very dynamic and fun., though the necessity of glory kills really holds it back. There's far less arena-style battles, which was my main complaint about D16.

7/10 after playing through 2/3rd of the game so far. Pls add option to instakill downed enemies.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    English voice acting of Laphicet, Eleanore, and Eizen is shoddy, and Rokuro's VA is painfully bland when he is supposed to be this fun-loving exuberant sword bro.

The unique combat element (soul gauge micro-management) is the worst. Story is cringe at best so far.

I also really don't like that to kill enemies quickly you pretty much have to stick to playing Velvet, because her AI is absolutely retarded with her break guages.

I haven't disliked a Tales title this much in close to a decade.

Here's hoping Tales of Arise is a return to form.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

My prior experience with the series is pretty much limited to Phantasia and Destiny, so I guess I just didn't go into it with quite the same level of expectation.

4. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

There's a couple Tomb Raider games for free on steam. The 2013 remake and some other game called "Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris"

5. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

That's the top-down coop thing, right?

6. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Yup, sequel to the first one looks like.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

When you've sunk 5 hours into a game and than realise you can teleport on the map from anywhere and don't have to go to preset locations to teleport to other preset locations :rrou:

If anyone has played Ori and the Blind Forest and not picked up Will of the Wisps yet, it is just as good as the original. Loving it.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Gwent is out on mobile. Yay.

Edit: Eww. Never mind. This plays nothing like the actual Witcher game.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think any game made me as furious as Tale of Xillia did. Pretty much killed any interest in playing any Tales game ever again.

10. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Got a Switch for the quarantine, along with Breath of the Wild. First time I've paid for a legitimate copy of a video game in 29 years.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Nier is getting a remake or a remaster and it's going to be on PC (Steam), Xbox One and PS4.

Brother Nier will be the protagonist, but I'm hoping for optional Papa Nier as well.

12. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Nier is one of my all time favourite games - even with all the gameplay improvements I still prefer it to the also excellent Automata - so this is pretty exciting news. Usually I'd be wary of something I love being remade, but Yoko Taro being involved reassures me that they won't be stripping the game of what makes it so weird and wonderful.

Papa Nier for life though.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I had only recently played the original Nier game via RPCS3 and it was an alright experience, but what I really wish they'd focused on remaking was the original Drakengard game. Top notch story, one of the most memorable casts of characters in video games, and strange as it may sound to those familiar with the game, but I loved the soundtrack as well - it was really fitting.

But what's really about it that would necessitate a complete remake? The gameplay. Weapon variety was great, and helped a lot of to ease the tediousness of fighting the same enemies time and time again, but the weapons really felt weightless. A Drakengard remake with enjoyable gameplay would be one of those rare few games I actually buy straight up on release.

14. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Bannerlord will come out 10am utc 30th of march, so they've moved the release by 1 day. For the first 2 weeks it will be 10% off and if you own any of the previous M&B games, you will get an additional 10%. Just a heads up for anyone interested.

Source: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/322

Been waiting for this game since 2012, so it feels great to finally get to see it, albeit in a unfinished state. I noticed a couple days ago that I had received a beta key for the multiplayer, so I've been playing some siege and it feels pretty good. M&B has always been about singleplayer to me though and I've never cared for the multiplayer aspect.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Wow. AssCreed Odyssey's map is just mind-numbingly massive. Probably like... 4 or 5 times the size of Witcher 3's map?

Sure, most of the zones look the same, but holy shit.

Also, I'm really enjoying discovery mode. Not having all those markers on the minimap is just a really nice change. The collector/completionist in me can now just play through the game and explore without feeling the need to collect every little worthless item.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  16. Warhawk_1

Warhawk_1 Squib

Anyone playing Bannerlord since the EA launched? Has been the biggest suck of my personal time for the past 2 weeks.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bought it and played some. Pretty fun. Primarily getting through Persona 5 Royal and doing Dungeons and Dragons, but once P5 is done I'll play some more. Excited to see the future mods.

18. Warhawk_1

Warhawk_1 Squib

Are you playing as a vassal or freelancer right now? One thing I hope they add as a feature from mods is being able to just sign on to be a soldier and receive equipment in an army with zero free-roam ability allowed. It was a great feature to get a new character rolling in Warband.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Once I get my clan to 50 renown, gonna join as a vassal. Seems the easiest "noob" friendly direction to go.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

Not open for further replies.