1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nothing like announcing that you're partitioning your game to squeeze extra money right in the announcement trailer.

2. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

The word Valhalla still gives me vietnam flashbacks to God of War but that looks really cool. I wonder how much is set in England.

3. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

Have you seen the The Last of Us 2 leaks? Wild stuff.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    No?

5. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

It's all over the net. Supposedly leaked by an employee unhappy with the working conditions at Naughty Dog. It's a plot synopsis and videos of key plot scenes that corroborate it.

6. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Is the script good yes or not because if it is then I'll try to avoid the leaks

7. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

I guess you could call it

subversive in a similar way like Star Wars: The Last Jedi was.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yikes

9. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

In an attempt to explain it without spoiling anything:

Essentially, the leaks reveal that the writer(s) hate you, personally, and want to ensure you and everything you love is as miserable and hateful as they are. There's a deep, abiding nihilism to it that is deeply off-putting to (evidently) a large section of the customerbase. To put it pithily, the central theme seems to be "Nothing is sacred, and everything is shit".

That's not to say it's necessarily bad, but it's definitely polarizing, and you're likely to either really like it, or absolutely fucking despise it, without much in the way of middle ground.

10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

From what I heard about it, what they planned would make an excellent game on its own, but as a sequel it simply will anger the majority of its fans.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What,
    killing the protagonist of the first game and switching to the role of his killer halfway through the game isn't something fans of the original game would enjoy? Who would have thought?

12. Celestin

It could work in practice while playing the game, but I can name one game that was a lot less controversial and even then it took years and another sequel for fans to stop complaining about something similar.

13. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Which game is that? I can't think of one that had anything similar, and I'm really curious now.

14. Celestin

Spoiler because it suggest what's in the leaks.

Metal Gear Solid 2 with its switch to Raiden just after the short prologue as Snake. Nobody expected it, every material before the premiere only focused on Snake, and though the game was technically fine, people complained as lot until MGS3.

These days Raiden is established character with his own spin-off and nobody has problem with MGS2 being mostly his game and not Snake's.

15. blob

blob Seventh Year

I really dislike how bloated maps become. They're now so huge that it takes way too long to get between points of interest and most of the space is pointless, boring filler like worthless collectibles or nothing at all except mountains and vegetation.

If your game has a playable map that's bigger than, say, GTA V then you're doing something wrong. Even GTA V could easily squish its worldspace into half of what it was without any real loss, and it had more content in all that space than most 'epic scale' games.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As someone who'll be first in line to upload themselves into the first full immersion VRMMORPG, I call bullshit on this claim.

Critiques shouldn't be 'the map is too big,' it should be 'how can we use/fill this gorgeous map?'

I agree, collectibles are lame.

Also, you can't ever have exploration without empty space either.

Oh, and finally, can you all fuck right off with talking about TLOU2 in this thread?

I don't care if you spoiler tag it, even talking around it you're letting shit out. Make another thread. Jesus, I just wanted to come in and see what people were saying about Valhalla.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

No, this is a thread for everything about video games. We appropriately put the discussion in spoiler tags so no one would be spoiled. This isn't an AC Valhalla thread either so if you want to talk about it specifically and only that, and you feel like you can't do that here, feel free to make a thread for it.

18. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Bit of a different context though. These are spoilers about an as of yet unreleased (and highly anticipated game). Even the supposedly spoiler free discussion outside of the spoiler tags has already affected my view of the game. If you're gonna talk about it here put it all in spoiler tags or take it to a separate thread.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ignore is such a nice feature.

20. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Has anyone heard anything about Old World?

Looks to be an Epic-store PC exclusive, 4x game in the lines of Civ, but limited to ancient times (Roman, Egyptian, Babylonian, etc). I only found out about it today through a recommended video on youtube, and watched most of the way through. It looks to compare slightly to CK2 as well, in that your leaders and heirs gain traits over time, and you have some direction over these, but much more focused on the larger scale.

Certainly looks interesting, and I was tempted to just drop the £25 to get it now, but wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts first?

Not open for further replies.