1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Discordant Note by Noodlehammer – M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Archinist

Archinist Hαn Sαlsæd First

@Mestre
    I don't understand why Harry in canon would realistically be a misogynist. If he was raised to be a misogynist it would make more sense. He's supposed to be thoughtful, wise, blah-blah-blah, but Noodlehammer is using him as a mouthpiece for his political views. Which should surprise no one.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Let's bet back on topic and spend less time talking about how retarded the author and their fanbase is. If you didn't like the chapter say why, that's about it.

3. Melkor

Melkor First Year

Honestly the only reason I even bother to follow this story anymore. It's like watching a train wreck in progress. Except the train is on fire, made entirely of combustible shit, heading straight towards a sheer cliff while still picking up speed, and shows no sign of stopping any time soon.

I mean, turning Harry into an even more blatant authorial mouthpiece by taking up a huge chunk of the chapter to preach his...interesting...views on women, democracy, religion, and so on to Aegon (actually his readers, but let's ignore that for now) is basically responsible for 99% my dislike of the chapter. Not even getting into the rest of the fic.

Edit: ...Are we sure that Noodlehamer isn't actually Perfect Lionheart?

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I can't even. Is this another case of him going the extra mile in response to reasonable criticism? e.g the smut thing all over again?

5. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, that was certainly ...something. Noodlehammer has been getting more radical and preachy for a while.

Let's not. Noodlehammer has clearly been preaching to his readers for a long time. Since early For Love of Magic. It's just been getting more and more blatant, and it's been detracting from the actual story.

I wouldn't be surprised. He goes overboard when reacting to criticism way too easily.

I honestly thought that this spin-off was all right in the beginning. But it's clearly been spiraling the hell down for a while.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  6. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Never read FLOM, thank Beelzebub. I've just started this, however, and it's so horrifically, egregiously, unrepentantly bad that I love it. @Melkor said it perfectly.

7. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I hate double posting but I'm all caught up now. The real world references and anime boob shit is all very dissapointing. I was able to look past our dashing godling fucking Arianne Martell, but somehow, the nude beach was too much. I felt gross reading it. Shit was just too weird. The smut isn't great, kind of bland but visceral enough for men, and this guy sucks with speech tags, but as most have said, the world building/godly elements are pretty cool. And the writing isn't terrible. Certainly not good, but not terrible. Right around meh. A few passages here and there actually made me lol. As I neared the end of what's written I started to skim Harry's rants/monologues about religion women societies and whatnot.

I'll give it a 3/5. If there wasn't a quarantine tho, I probably would've never read this. This is FIRMLY in guilty pleasure territory.

8. Jon

If you went through and removed every hint of the author from the story it'd be great.

9. Archinist

I enjoyed it in spite of its flaws, before chapter 23.

Aside from the above-mentioned shit, Harry is acting remarkably OOC; he has no contingency plan for the Others yet he had a huge amount of time to prepare... and the author is now simply using him as a political mouthpiece.

It's been obvious that Noodlehammer's a misogynist since FLOM, but at the very least, his decisions were *generally* governed by rationality.

Blergh.

The story has lost its charm for me. The weird sexual shit in it has been cranked up to 11 and it has somehow derailed (if it even had a train track in the first place) worse.

I feel like the first few chapters were alright. 3/5 for those, most of what comes after is a 1/5 for me.

10. Archinist

I hate this story but the reviews are something else.

11. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Thats a meme from the internet that was copied and pasted.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

That's literally one of the oldest copypastas around @Hot Salsa it's coming up on a decade old at this point.

Lmao. That's not even one of its derivatives. Its the OG.

Teenagers these days.

13. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Alright let's get back on track.

14. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

A Discordant Note has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 24
    Words: 309,750
    Updated: 2020-05-20 06:39:07 UTC
    Published: 2018-08-13 20:37:47 UTC
    Previously updated: 19 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

15. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

Just reading the title of the chapter already made me laugh: Piracy, Whore Economics and Quarantine.

His arguments about the roles of men and women in society and the smut are becoming very repetitive. I'm just kind of skimming it to see what happens with the others and Asshai at this point. The answer is:
    not much

16. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

It's really amusing to read (if you don't think about the fact that the author and many millions of people around the world actually think this way). Ridiculous on so many levels.

17. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

A Discordant Note has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 320,898
    Updated: 2020-06-26 04:45:13 UTC
    Published: 2018-08-13 20:37:47 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 month ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

18. Jon

[​IMG]

19. Archinist

The story has gone to shit worse than a meth-addict relapsing.

In the early chapters of this fic and in FLOM, Harry was a misogynistic racist cunt but he was at least smart. He had a contingency plan for Earth turning into a Fallout game, for Voldemort invading his island, he discovered the method of creating the Philosopher's Stone purely on accident, had a very in-depth and varied understanding of magic, etc.

Apparently achieving apotheosis and absorbing a god turns you into a dumbass.

If this was the at least slightly competent Harry that we see in the last story, he would have fucking lined the Wall with machine guns shooting self-replicating dragonglass, flamethrowers, and put some sort of magical nuke to blow them all to hell in case it fell. The furthest we see of his ingenuity being used to fight the others is making a dingy-as-fuck magical railgun with a range inferior to the shit Europe used in the colonial ages.

What. the. fuck?!

He ends up sacrificing the very concept of sight itself to see the Bloodstone Emperor's life, instead of, you know, using his knowledge of necromancy to bring the fucker back from the grave and wring out every drop of information.

Harry being Noodlehammer's little avatar for his political views was cringy-as-hell, but at least mildly acceptable. Why does he have to turn into an autistic bitch-cunt?

This story sucks big dick and you should not read it. Belongs in Trash bin.

20. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I noticed that too, Salsa. The moment when Harry decided to have a pointless and boring slugfest with the kraken just to have something to fight against bewildered me. Post-apotheosis Harry is nothing like FLOM Harry. At least that Harry was amusing. This current Harry clearly took brain damage from all the Westeros influence. And it's all fully intentional by the author, which disappoints me. Harry feels like a meat puppet trying to pretend to be like the old Harry. It's like I lost the FLOM Harry I read all those years about to this pretender.

Becoming a god was the worst point in either story. Even worse than Luna's hentai tits.

Like yeah, okay, this story has been turning to shit for quite a while, but at least it had some things I could enjoy and draw amusement from. But it just keeps getting worse and worse. And suddenly, majorly changing the main character's characterization isn't what the doctor ordered.