1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quantifiable Magic AU

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, May 17, 2020.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Hermione would be at 35 Sols (exercising her core from the massive amounts of nuclear fusion required to carry Harry through the books).

2. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Hermione was "told" - as in, it was a common misconception - that muggleborns and witches have smaller magical cores. It was a belief that hasn't been substantiated by data (while the magic scouter existed, no one thought to collect and analyze the data systematically). It wasn't even "generally" true, just cultural/sexual bias; if there had been proof Hermione would grudginly accept that but there weren't.

Hermione is Harry's "power (Voldemort) knows not", eh? :D

3. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, why is Draco stronger then Hermione and Ron in your headcanon? I get it in the pureblood passing down one but if on their own power I think its odd because in canon we see Draco do stuff with magical items (necklace, poisoned wine, vanishing cabinet) not something that has to do with intrinsic strength. At a reach maybe him conjuring a snake in second year.

Anyways, if anyone past say 1? is exceptional, how would the truly strong students be treated differently at hogwarts?

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The main sticking point I have here is Harry.

In my opinion, Canon!Harry is a fairly average wizard, nowhere near Dumbledore's or Voldemort's level. He has an affinity for Defense and is skilled compared to most in some areas, but overall I think JKR was going for "typical kid out of his league and rising to the challenge" in her stories, not ever implying that Harry himself was all that special outside of the Prophecy and Voldemort marking him.

I do prefer stories where Harry has badass potential. I just don't think canon showed that.

5. ruki88

ruki88 Squib

]

I must say, the idea doesn't appeal to me very much in general - it reminds me too much of anime. Not that I have anything against animes since I watched my fair share of them, but it does have the unfortunate side effect of sucking the magic out of HP magic for me.

Anyway, I do have some questions:
    - What exactly made you classify Hermione and Remus as lower than Ron? Not that I agree or disagree (I'll have to put my deep thinking hat for it to actually have an opinion on it), but I am curious since people usually do the opposite when thinking about Hermione and Ron. It is refreshing to see though.
    - Related, how is Draco higher? I disagree on this one to be honest. I don't remember anything in the books that makes me think of him as better. Curious about this too..

I would put Lily and James on the same level though. Both mastered the Patronus charm and both were known for being good at Potions, Charms and Transfiguration. We know that Lily displayed early on bouts of magic but I don't think we have any info about James but I wouldn't be surprised if he did too.
    As I understood the Sacrificial protection was more about the willingness to sacrifice yourself to protect someone rather than your "power levels". Based on this, given the opportunity, James would've done it as well without hesitation. I must confess though, the condition in which the protection applies sounds pretty weak - statistically, there would've been more people that survived the Avada Kedavra as far as I'm concerned. Under your provided conditions I might consider Lily to be more powerful because in a way it would better explained why Harry survived the curse.....but I don't know...I still don't like it. I always thought there was another explanation for this until I read what JK had to say about it years later....meh.

I agree with you regarding Snape. Oh, he is good but I thought of him as more of a theoretician than a practitioner, if it makes sense - very knowledgeable in his chosen subject and we see he's good at inventing too.

My opinion is that Dumbledore was more powerful than Voldemort though. Tom Riddle certainly was willing to use magic that Dumbledore wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole but that's about it.
    On the other hand, I don't think Harry is on the same level or above Dumbledore, Grindelwald or Voldemort. I do think he is powerful but not that powerful. As I understood it, there were certain circumstances that allowed Harry to win against Voldemort, not necessarily his level of magic.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding about the OP. The content of the OP is about a quantifiable magic AU, i.e. it will inevitably conflict with canon.

In canon, magical power is intrinsically tied together with knowledge and understanding of magic, magical intuition, practice, etc. But in this AU, power is a completely independent value of magical talent. Once you do that, things change dramatically.

So you can have a Harry who is not particularly talented at magic but stupidly powerful - thus being able to repel a large number of Dementors in PoA, or overcome Voldemort's magic in GoF.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you can have a Hermione who is talented at magic but lacks magical oomph.

Draco's position as high as he is simply derives from him being Harry's rival, before Harry outgrows him and Voldemort becomes his real concern.

7. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I think magical energy should be decoupled from physical energy. That forces a hierarchy of minimum required energy for spells that conflicts with the canon setup too much. If you just plan out when you want characters to be able to do each spell and which characters are capable of performing the spells you can just slap on magical energy requirements from there. For example, if you want spells to only be performable by 7th year students, you can just make its minimum required energy something that is higher than the minimum required energy of 6th years spells but not too high as to be exceptionally powerful. This flexibility is superior in my opinion, as it allows you to do things like making a sun generating spell cost 10 magical units and a lumos spell cost 5000. Then you can easily make it match more closely to canon.

On a side note, I just realized that magical theory is just there in magical energy based systems so that people can have cool libraries and use fancy symbols.