1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword and Shield (Gen 8)

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yes, I got the poison/electric Pokemon if that's what you're referring too. Not interested in it though.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...WAT.

Explain yourself, Vira.

3. Vira

High Score:
    I don't like the design. :(

4. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I had it on my team because it’s meta, but it is ugly as sin.

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sobbles final evo's even edgier bandmate

6. Seratin

High Score:
    It's beautiful fuck you guys.

7. Vira

High Score:
    On Route 6! Have been since yesterday.

I currently operate on two modes: “EXP Share is over-levelling my Pokemon, maybe I should box my strongest” vs. “omg I’m so under-levelled, everyone’s dying in one hit, stop help please-”

So I made a management decision to go grind in the Wild Area until everyone’s at Level 30.

Let me say, regarding my team, I have never been more disappointed in a Swinub in my life. It’s not Swinub’s fault. Poor darling.

It’s just that the move pool is SHIT.

At this point in any other game, I'd have like five useful TMs to teach each Pokemon, but 90% of my TMs here are shit moves no one would ever want in a TM. There’s a TM guy in the Pokemon Centre in Hammerlocke, and I must have made an interesting face at him as my eyes idly scanned the TM list. “Yup, all shit.”

I actually had to go on Serebii and hunt for TMs for my Swinub. Her only moves are Tackle, Ice Shard, and Mud Slap. There’s also Flail, but Swinub dies in one hit, so that’s not doing anything. The TM for Mud Shot is water-locked in one of the mines, but I rushed through Route 6 just to get Dig. Even then, my Swinub can’t one-hit KO Wild Area Pokemon and dies in one hit, so I guess she’ll be carried a while on EXP Share.

Some changes in my team:

I hate Sizzlipede. I didn’t like it going into the game for being a clearly inferior Larvesta, and I felt disgusted using it through two gyms. But I kept circling the fire-types in Sword/Shield, and none stood out to my except for maybe Litten. I considered asking someone here to trade me one, but then, as I was trying to fall asleep last night, a memory hit me.

A memory of one of the mines and that mine cart Pokemon having a blast racing down the tracks as I chased it. It’s ugly and it's the random common rock-type that gets created for every region.

But I wanted fun. It was a fire-type.

So I caught one in the Wild Area and ditched the bug. Welcome, Coal, to your new home.

Also I found a Frillish in the grass. Nothing to see here, folks, just a jellyfish floating along… I caught him so fast since I had already chosen Jellicent to be my water-type. That’s five of my final team down, since Applin has evolved.

Grinding was also pretty easy, once I clued into the “stronger” Pokemon wandering the overworld that I could type-advantage my way to victory. Not the level 50-something Rhydon, though. I took one look at its level, then picked up my Leafeon and ran.

Anyways, everyone is Level 30+ now.

Time to move on.

Current team:

1. Corvisquire. L34. Drill Peck, in my starter? It’s more likely than you think.
    2. Swinub. L30. Evolve please.
    3. Leafeon. L33. Try not to murder everything, my darling.
    4. Appletun. L30. Why can’t you learn Magical Leaf? :/
    5. Carkol. L32. Hopefully you learn a good fire move by level up because my TMs are SHIT.
    6. Frillish. L30. Sweetheart.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Excuse me did you just say Coalossal is ugly

9. Vira

High Score:
    The Rolycoly line has the distinct pleasure of looking more garbage as it evolves. Coalossal is a 50% worse Rhydon. Just complete shit design.

But I need a fire-type. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Seratin

High Score:
    I love Coalossal's design. The look, the ability, the power. What more could you want?

11. MonkeyEpoxy

She also doesn't think Toxtricity is Arceus's gift to Pokemon design, so I think we can disregard her slander of Coalossal.

Also, Rhydon (and later Rhyperior) are shit tier designs that we pretend are good because we're all latent genwunners at heart.

12. Seratin

High Score:
    Ngl, I love Rhyperior too.

@Vira What are your impressions so far on the designs in general? I'm guessing we differ on this but I find the majority of designs this gen really great.

I mean, the Dottler line alone is amazing.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

I'm gonna say. Real talk right now.

Galar is easily the best region of any pokemon game I've ever played (And I have grown up with literally the entire franchise. I was 8 when I first played a pokemon game, two years after pokemon RB came out. I never ever beat Red til I was an adult. I did not know how to get past the 5th badge to Saffron because I didn't know about giving the Guardswoman a Fresh Water. I spent untold hours grinding, before I even knew what grinding was, in the route to the east of Vermillion. My scrub ass had a Nidoking that was like level 70... I was 15 when Diamond/Pearl came out, and that game and the friendships I made with it at high school was my late-adolescence. The pokemon cartel of my high school's marching band is one of my most cherished memories) The Wild Area is revolutionary, and I hope that Gamefreak doesn't stiff-dick us and shun it away like they did mega-evolution. The entirety of the routes system needs to be a Wild Area. I'm hoping that's what they're building towards.

Z moves were fine. Gigantamax is fine. But at some point, we have to pick something. We can't just keep up with the introduction of game mechanics only to replace them... I mean. I know gamefreak will. It's in their nature. But...

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  14. Vira

High Score:
    A lot of trash designs. The starters are particularly terrible. Their final evolutions are just… furries. :/

The fossil Pokemon were a mistake, and while I understand the intention, the result is not something I would ever stand behind.

The best designs in this generation are… Wooloo, Applin line, Snom line, and Eterneatus. The rest are neutral to bad.

*drops mic*

Oh, except the Galar forms of previous generation Pokemon. Most of them are baller.

You just saw the future. :p

I expect Gigantamax will be dropped like everything else and a new dumb gimmick wheeled out. They should have stopped at Mega Evolutions. They were balanced, worked, and were an easy understood concept. I will give Game Freak props for not dropping regional forms of Pokemon, which is an excellent idea and don’t often go wrong.

Anyways, currently in Circhester.

As usual, my priorities were to speed through Routes 7 and whatever because I smelled a clothing store ahead and desperately needed new clothing. Thank god I had 170k saved up because a single dress cost 50k. The travesty. Through not as terrible as the black parka being CLEARLY gray. Excuse me, miss? I need a black parka to match my tights and new frilly bag. I demand to speak to your manager. :/

Also, the music in this game is KILLER.

Current team:

1. Corvoknight. Oh, so now you can learn Steel Wing. Right… you just wanted to evolve before learning it even though Taillow from the tropics can learn Steel Wing no problem.
    2. Mamoswine. Ice Fang accuracy 95%? More like 10%.
    3. Appletun. Apple Acid is almost broken by how strong it is. That debuff, man.
    4. Coalossal. No complaints so far. Aside from being ugly.
    5. Frillish. Evolve please.
    6. G-Ponyta. Evolve please.

15. Vira

High Score:
    I thought I’d make an update since I got my last badge. Currently just arrived in Wyndon.

It’s probably just the gym leader music pumping me up, but I enjoy gigantamaxing in the gym battles. Nothing like maximizing my Mamoswine to do the finishing blow. The dragon gym matches were particularly good. Having double battle being the theme changed things up in a good way. I didn’t actually think the gym leader himself would do a double battle, so cue a few seconds of me panicking at what Pokemon I had in second position.

I felt Route 10 was really linear. Meaning, I disliked being forced to fight trainers when I smelled a new clothing store up ahead. Let me say, definitely real world prices, but I did in fact spent 111k on a black leather jacket. Need to look nice for the game plot finale unless they make me wear my sports outfit. I need to go back to another town to choose a more edgy dress though. Not sure if I want to buy an extremely expensive matching leather skirt from Wyndon.

I don’t like that I can’t try on a bunch of clothes at once to make an outfit. Doing it one on a time doesn’t give me enough information to know what a piece of clothing matches.

Shit, I don’t want this post to be half clothing shopping…

The game plot (i.e. the dogs/whatever Rose is doing) has been very background so far. I guess everything is going to happen either right before the tournament or during it. Hop told me to train, so this is probably my last chance to get everyone up to level 60. I’ll do that once I finish exploring Wyndon and getting my championship outfit.

Current team:

1. Corvoknight. Good.
    2. Mamoswine. Good.
    3. Appletun. Good.
    4. Coalossal. Good.
    5. Jellicent. Good.
    6. Rapidash-G. Good.

16. MonkeyEpoxy

*taps Mic*

**clears throat nervously**

Sonia Magnolia is the best pokemon girl of all time

***respectfully puts mic back into the stand***

[​IMG]

17. Seratin

High Score:
    I can see why you're nervous what with having an opinion that is so blatantly wrong.

18. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Anyone given the DLC a go? The reviews make it sound like a more interesting proposition than I would have thought: a better wild area but god awful fetch quests and shallow storylines.

So I'm pretty divided on whether I should get it.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You spelt Cynthia wrong.

I would also accept Sabrina and Elesa.

Just caught up on some of these posts and I'm surprised by the love for the designs. The only ones that I think are 'S' tier are Corvoknight and Dragapult. I've a soft spot for Coalossal too because he reminds me of Zorah Magdaros from MH: World. Falinx is 'S' tier too in the way I consider Farfetch'd S tier (kinda meme S tier?).

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't want to post pictures because I guess it could be spoilery? I just saw pics of the new Galarian forms of certain pokemon from the Tundra DLC and holy shit...

I often rail on the majority of the designs of new Pokemon, but I generally think they hit it out of the park with these region variants, (Meowth being the glaring exception...). I'd actually be kinda hype if the next game was just majority reskins. It makes way more sense for a new region to have region specific version of pokemon that already exist than just a whole range of Pokemon no one had ever heard of before.

I dunno how much work goes into creating new Pokemon when creating new games, but if some of that bandwidth went towards deepening the exploration/world building of the game, I'd be way hype for that too. And maybe give Toxic back to Umbreon, mkay?

I never played the games that had Megas in them, but I also infinitely prefer that as a concept to Maxing. I just like the idea of your team having a cool focal point Pokemon and I really like Mega Gengar, mkay?