1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What TYPE of person are you?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jon, May 21, 2020.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Keyboard pun.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

What type of keyboard do you use? Do you prefer membrane keyboards or mechanical? Are you an basic MX-Bitch or are you a bit more exotic?

Me? I'm currently maining a weird keyboard I bought 3 years ago called the Razor Ornata. It's a weird mesh of a mechanical tactile key with a cushion underneath from the membrane. It's fairly pleasant to type on, but there is a sense of fatigue that begins to form after a few hours.

Prior to this one I was using a Das Model S Pro with linear switches. I enjoyed it a lot but eventually the linear switches wore out their welcome. I still have it and I'm considering cleaning it up and reusing it purely to make a decision on the next keyboard, whether I'd want to go tactile or clicky.

I have been eyeing Box Jade pretty hard. Does anyone have experience using them?

2. Miner

Miner Order Member

I use whatever keyboard my school purchases for its gaming PCs. Although quite honestly, as long as I have my osu! hitsounds I could be using a Dell laptop keyboard from 2007 for all I care.

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rocking a Ducky with Browns, but they're not quite tactile enough for me. I lust for things more like blues, and almost pulled the trigger on a matte black recreation of the Model M some time ago. Alas, the ears of my friends on discord must be protected for now.

There's some amazing ML stuff for cutting non voice sound coming out of Nvidia, so maybe in the next couple years I can make it happen.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Cherry MX Browns all the way, baby.

I have a QuickFire Tenkeyless (either a Rapid or a Storm, can't remember) that I got for stupid cheap on a Black Friday sale.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Your school has gaming PCs?

I have a Filco Majestouch 2 tenkeyless. Had it since 2012. Works beautifully, no troubles. No regrets. Cherry MX Browns. Not quiet, but not stupid loud either.

6. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Logitech G19 gaming keyboard that is like a decade old. Used to be useful when I played MMOs and such. Less so now, but it still works flawlessly. Still have fond memories of calling raid boss AoEs using the built in screen displaying timers. I also occasionally use the G keys to automate stupid little tasks.

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Rosewill keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches. I like the click-clack I get from it.

8. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Ducky Shine 7, Cherry MX red switches

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Anyone able to give me a more description explanation of Browns vs Clears than the standard 'clears are like browns, but harder to push' or whatever generic description you find online. HOW noticeable is it?

I hate Reds/Blacks and Blues (so probably Greens too iirc). I like the 'bump' feel a lot (can't do without tactile feedback!) but by god does the extra loud clickety-clack of the blues make me want to murder everything in existence.

Curious to try other tactile switches that might be similar. Clears are an obvious option. As are... uhmm, been a while, Topre?

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm actually a bit frustrated with the state of custom 65% keyboards in aus. I'm sure its partly due to COVID, but the supply for anything except standard basic gamer keyboards is... just not there. :( Also shocked by how expensive BoxJade's are.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm using a ...~12 years old, dusty ass merc stealth keyboard. I've meant to buy a mechanical one for forever (Ched really recommended me mx browns), but I've never gotten around to it. I'd like to find some in a shop to test them out, but I've only seen reds and blues.

Keyboard and speakers are the PC stuff I care about the least, really.

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I was on the same train of thought until a friend gave me his old Teufel 5.1 system with two speakers (the other two weren't working anymore). Those two speakers plus the subwoofer alone made such a difference in my enjoyment of music, films, and series that going back to anything else would be an incredible downgrade.

As for the keyboard, I use a Cherry KC 1000, which is a run of the mill product available for 10 to 15 €. I'm on my third iteration now, changing them every two to three years or so (even bought one extra last time around). Usually the keys stop working after the two/three years, but I've grown very comfortable with this setup. (I have no ideas of keyboards in general, so the rest of the debate goes by me entirely).

13. Miner

Miner Order Member

Mm.

They double as game design and esports club PCs. It's quite nice, although the mice are shit and there are no headphones, so I usually bring my own.

14. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

Well I'm a little disappointed, was hoping to see people describe themselves and their personalities.
    That being said I have a Razer Blackwidow, I got it as part of a second hand computer I bought years ago and it still works perfectly.
    I set it to have minimal rgb action as that annoys me and I enjoy the click clack of the keys.
    I did fuck up and one of the arrow keys got removed.

15. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I have an old MS natural keyboard that's so broken in, half the letters aren't visible anymore. Old reliable.

16. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We're keyboard buddies!
    I got the version with the letters printed on the side of the keys. Looks classy.

[​IMG]
    Pictured: incredibly good picture of my keyboard and definitely not the cat

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I have always used the standard Logitech keyboards with minimal gimmicks (no shortcut buttons, no weird key layout, etc). Overriding preference.

18. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I use a standard Das mechanical keyboard with blank keycaps.

19. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The one attached to my laptop, or the one my work gives everyone.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've got a corsair K95 that I use. Nothing particularly fancy or anything, but it does the job and is satisfying to use.