1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin By The Sinister Man - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by iamnotreal, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 133
    Words: 1,024,577
    Updated: 2020-05-19 01:22:42 UTC
    Published: 2015-04-17 18:27:52 UTC
    Previously updated: 12 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

2. yargle

yargle Professor

The more I read this fic, the sorrier I feel for James and the less I like Lily.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Both of them can fuck right off.

I mean...

SOUL BONDS ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Also didn’t enjoy the manufactured rage Harry has for Jim now. FFS sake. Getting tired of that general plot point whether it’s directed at Theo or Neville or whoever.

4. Vma791

Vma791 Squib

To be fair, it's not really a traditional soul bond. It's more like a mental compulsion, though a very strange and arcane one at that. I don't think soul bond was the right... word to use, especially considering that soul bond stories are trashy.

In all honesty, though, I think the author did a good job of incorporating the weird soul bond thing. Lily straight up says that the soul bond idea is trash, so at least the fic is self-aware. Not sure if that completely makes up for it, but it makes up for some of it.

A lot of people here have been saying that the "magic influencing people" things that the author comes up with are just ways to add contrived tension, but I'm starting to think it's more than that.

I talked to the author about it and he said that "magic influencing people's minds and Harry hating it is going to be a major theme for the rest of the story."

I guess I can see that, since the Ultimate Sanction, the Wizengamot Oaths, the Oath of Enmity, and now the Soul Bond Thing are all majorly disliked not only by us, on the forums, but by the characters in the story themselves. From a certain perspective, it even makes sense. Magic is taking away the characters' free will, and a lot of them have shown that they despise the curses that force them to do that.

I honestly have no clue where this "theme" could lead (except Harry or some other character just losing their magic and being happy about it) but I'll still stick with the story to find out. Sometimes though, the author makes it very hard to keep reading.

Gotta say tho, I feel bad for James.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I don’t know how anyone in this story’s universe gets anything done at all when random magic done by someone else out of anger can rewrite your mind to make you irrationally hate your friends (Theo) and forget critical information (like Voldemort’s name or Lupin’s identity). The magic system seems fundamentally broken.

6. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

For me this just seems like the author had written himself into a corner, because of the prologue, but instead of just changing it and developing the story as is natural, he decided to just make use of a plot device to force people into the position they had in the prologue, regardless of previous character developement.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. VitaminAgua

VitaminAgua Squib

I like Rubicon's comment on the magic system.

To be honest do think that this is intentional on the author's perspective. He's drawn on Lovecraft a lot, and magic in this universe seems to be similarly dangerous. I think largely this is the point - "Wild Magic" is dangerous and humans should never have tried to control it.

That said, I also feel like this chapter was a bit contrived. I agree with aAlouda - I think the author knows where he wants to go, and envisions big moments along the way, but then you'll also get chapters like this where things just happen for no reason.

Not one of my favorite chapters, but excited for
    Peter's escape

8. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

HUGE SPOILERS TO MOST OF THIS SERIES AHEAD

If a mod could tag this as spoilers, I would appreciate it, as it didn't want to take on mobile.

I actually think I like Lily more the more we learn about her, honestly. The "poor James" rhetoric, though... I suspect we're going to learn something more about Harry's side observation about James several chapters ago that might influence my perspective of him going forward (especially in light of what the author apparently said to vma), but I still pretty strongly dislike his character the most. The author has done well in not making this a terribly frustrating part of the story though, at least for me. I can usually understand his actions, even very slightly empathize with them, despite them clearly being the worst possible option available (again, hint hint future plot development). Most of the first "book" not withstanding.

On Lily, I think this is the most interesting take on a Soulbond I've seen, and one that is actually written pretty well, at least from Lily's perspective. Dorea's little spiel on love is a far more mature take then I've seen in almost any fanfiction, as well. Not a terrible surprise on either front, as the author excels (and seems to revel) at taking tropes in directions I legitimately don't think I've ever seen in 13ish years of reading fanfic.

It does frustrate me slightly that Harry and Jim have been magically set at odds with each other, but it does seem to come at a fairly poetic time, and it genuinely felt quite tragic to me. Not something most fanfic achieves particularly well. In addition, I think Sirius' actions, while clearly harmful, were also entirely justified within the framework of his character (and the character's family) that the author has constructed. Again, it speaks well of him that while Sirius' actions make me feel irritated with the character himself, they do not at all make me feel irritated with the story. Not something fanfic achieves very often (within the intended emotional responses of Sirius' actions). For characters we're intended to sympathize with, certainly.

As for the speculation on what the author means when he says that sort of magic is going to be a significant part of the story going forwards... I suspect it ties into the Potter Prophecy, specifically the lines about breaking the Chains of Unity, shattering the covenant, etc. I even think we've seen a great deal of foreshadowing regarding this, when Ron met the last Naga, and he gave us his story about how he brought about changes that allowed anyone to do anything with merely a thought, born of a desire to remove power disparities in society and people, and ended up obliterating their very existence. I suspect that Harry's attempts moving forwards to unmake the "mind control" magic so prevalent in this story might end up bringing forth those changes that were in the Potter Prophecy. Or could do so, anyway.

Harry also has an extremely well established hatred of this type of magic, as well. Going back to when his Uncle attempted to murder him because of Harry's Dark Passenger, nevermind the 10 years of abuse he suffered because of it. Which I'm going to go out on a limb as being either related to Harry's connection to the Dark God (and/or his connection to the Deathly Hallows), a Voldemort horcrux, or both. Assuming of course that the prophecy does indeed relate to Harry at all, which I remain unconvinced of, honestly. Fairly certain, like 95 percent, but not 100 percent.

I say all of this as someone who read this whole story this past week, though. YMMV if you've only ever read the updates as they've come, as I can certainly see how you might find some of the plot developments contrived if you last read the foreshadowing 2 years ago, or more. Reading it all through in one go, though, I honestly believe the author has most of the story (and series) already plotted out, if not necessarily to the fine details. Likewise, the magic system doesn't irritate me, because the author has always thus far been quite cognizant of the ramifications of having this type of magic in a society. Both Sirius' Oath and most of the redux chapters are pretty superlative examples of this, actually, and further, it all honestly feels like its building to some kind of satisfying conclusion to me. One we might not see for five years and two million more words, but eh.

The one significant jump that does rather aggravate me with the story itself is with Harry's characterization changes between books 2 and 3. They're not horrific, but they're very noticeable. Kudos to the way Harry speaks, as well. It feels like the author was trying to write him more as a thirteen year old, but it doesn't work very well with his prior characterizations and manner of speaking.

So yeah, that's my fairly long and rambling review of this story. A fair bit more in depth then the last one I left.

Overall, 3.5/5 rounded up. If just the second and third books, 4/5, if only barely.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2020
  9. Vma791

Vma791 Squib

I think that's going to be a problem until the end of fourth year. The author told me in a pm that he intends to rewrite the earlier chapters and fix some of the most cringey aspects of them, including the dialogue. He also said that he's not going to do that until at least the first half of POS is done.

I think it's going to be really funny watching Harry and Jim in fourth year. They'll be really nice and friendly when they're talking about each other to other people, but the moment they get close to each other, they suddenly start hating each other.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The introduction of the soul bond angle interests me. Its not you classic soul bond, and really the only reason I can think of for the author to use the term was to poke fun at the trope. Whilst I'm not sure if I outright like it, I can definitely see why its an interesting piece to include in the story.

All things considered, not a bad chapter. It moved things on, particularly some character relationships, to a whole new phase which should hopefully spice things up a bit as we go forwards.

11. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

For those that don't know, you can get early access to chapters/chunks of chapters by joining the POS discord and following the links in the #general-news channel. I'd just link it here, but I dunno what the authors policies or desires are about posting the links elsewhere. Google The Sinister Man discord to find an invite link. The entire next chapter and some of the chapter after that are already up! And yes, they're about what you'd expect. Honestly, a lot more then I was expecting.

12. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 134
    Words: 1,035,367
    Updated: 2020-06-01 16:43:45 UTC
    Previously updated: 14 days ago

13. yargle

yargle Professor

A) Once again I feel bad for James.
    Bought time we got all those deaths we were promised.
    Recall that back in chapter fuck-if-I-know, Bellatrix's Death Eater personality was considered bu Rookwood to be a successful prototype? I'm getting the impression that Pettigrew's entire self is the successful final product.

14. Ched

Damn that was a ride.
    Bit surprised it was that easy but fun to ride that rollercoaster.

15. yargle

yargle Professor

Goes to show how dangerous dark wizards.

16. Ched

I feel like it more goes to show the utility and usefulness of developing spells, variations of spells, or unique skills can be extremely dangerous.

Dealing with magic you’ve never seen or heard of before was shown here to be highly difficult spur of the moment.

I like that. It probably won’t be OP because methods to neutralize it can be developed but as a Trump card it did it’s job.

17. VitaminAgua

VitaminAgua Squib

Excellent chapter imo. Brought back a lot of action and pacing the story needed.
    1. Rookwood actually delivered. After so much build-up, it was great to see him perform. Not a huge fan of him just being immune to Dementors and Unspeakables (I assume we'll learn the specific later) but glad he finally showed up.
    2. Stuff. actually. happened. Characters died. I wasn't very happy when the Time Turner undid of Peter's destruction, so I'm glad we got a round two.

The author leaked what the final scene of book 3 would be on his discord (not spoiling it here), but it seems like this is the last arc required to wrap up this year and get there (so pacing should be much quicker for the rest of the book).

18. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed the latest chapter, it really got a bit of momentum back in things and made some interesting advances.

19. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 135
    Words: 1,047,869
    Updated: 2020-06-18 22:10:22 UTC
    Previously updated: 17 days ago

20. yargle

yargle Professor

Poor James. Just hell.