1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Questions that don't deserve their own thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sesc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Yes you did, don't hide it.

2. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Both Dumbledore and Slughorn drink oak-matured mead. Fudge and Rosmerta both drink red currant rum. At one point the Weasleys drink elderflower wine together. Turnip Wine is mentioned in the Fantastic beast and where to find them textbook. Sherry is also drunk by a number of people, most prominently Trelawney. They also have some champagne at Bill's wedding.

Otherwise if your okay with non-canon stuff, the wiki lists a number from places like videogames, the movies and the theme park.
    https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Alcohol#Beverages

3. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

Do wizards have any means for mass production? I mean, if they have to enchant every single product personally it wouldn't go very fast, right? Also, if that is the case, are there minor differences between the same labeled products such as potions or brooms?

Edit: adding more context.

I guess my real question is how would it impact the economy as a whole, does it mean that prices are somewhat higher, and is the demand of the society satisfied? I've really no idea how it worked in the muggle world before the pre-industrial era.

P.S. I haven't found any better thread to ask this

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  4. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
  5. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

6. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

What would have happened if Voldemort had gotten hold of the Philosopher's Stone in the first book? Would he get a body with a fractured soul like he had prior to 'death' or would the stone's magic give him a complete soul?

7. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

He has a complete soul, it's just in pieces. He only wanted the Stone as a mechanism of restoring his body.

8. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Is there actually anything that suggests that Voldemort's body was never found?

Like a lot of fanfic claim it, but I dont recall anything in Canon about this.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    "But what happened to Vol - sorry - I mean, You-know-Who?"

"Good question, Harry. Disappeared. Vanished. Same night he tried ter kill you. Makes yeh even more famous. That's the biggest myst'ry, see...he was gettin' more an' more powerful - why'd he go?"

HP&PS, The Keeper of the Keys.

10. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

How exactly was the winner of the Triwizard Tournament going to be decided?

Senario A - Touching the Cup confers a set number of points (50 most likely), meaning that one could in theory get the Cup first and still lose, or

Senario B - The points from the first two tasks determined order and timing for entering the Maze and that touching the Cup was the be all and end all, meaning that a competitor could grossly fail the first two tasks and still win.

11. Silirt

It's the second one. The text specifically mentions that Cedric and Harry are allowed to enter the maze at the same time, with Krum entering after them, and then Fleur.

12. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Do Harry, Ron or Hermione ever actually use transfiguration succesfuly outside of class/studying? I was thinking about how much they use each subject outside of class and just noticed that I can recall a single occasion where they tried and succeed in transfiguration when it wasn't about school.

13. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think that Hermione uses human transfiguration — which they learned in HBP — on Ron in DH? I could be wrong about that.

EDIT: Found the excerpt:
    ‘OK, Ron, come here so I can do you …’
    ‘Right, but remember, I don’t like the beard too long –’
    ‘Oh, for heaven’s sake, this isn’t about looking handsome –’
    ‘It’s not that, it gets in the way! But I liked my nose a bit shorter, try and do it the way you did last time.’
    Hermione sighed and set to work, muttering under her breath as she transformed various aspects of Ron’s appearance. He was to be given a completely fake identity, and they were trusting to the malevolent aura cast by Bellatrix to protect him. Meanwhile, Harry and Griphook were to be concealed under the Invisibility Cloak.
    ‘There,’ said Hermione, ‘how does he look, Harry?’
    It was just possible to discern Ron under his disguise, but only, Harry thought, because he knew him so well. Ron’s hair was now long and wavy, he had a thick, brown beard and moustache, no freckles, a short, broad nose and heavy eyebrows.
    ‘Well, he’s not my type, but he’ll do,’ said Harry.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  14. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I'm not sure if it is transfiguration, but Hermione used Glisseo to transform a staircase into a slide in DH.

Also, Duro to turn something into stone.

15. Silirt

You might be thinking of the time she uses it to disguise their appearances when the Snatchers catch them. I think it's implied that they use transfiguration to give themselves new outfits to masquerade as Bellatrix and Dragomir Despard.

16. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Thanks, at least they used it once.
    Those were actually jinxes

17. jitenshasan

jitenshasan Second Year

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain?"
    I never understood that sentence, wizards interact everyday with enchanted objects and none of them has a visible brain... What about the portraits for example?

18. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Those cant really think for themselves, they're more like NPCs from Video Games rather than anything capable of innovation.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The difference between apparently intelligence and true sentience I think.

I'm not sure to what extent truly sentient enchanted objects exist, but presumably they do. Maybe enchants gone slightly wrong can produce some form of sentience (if we want to rip off Santi). So a badly enchanted broom might play favourites, and throw people it doesn't like. Or a a badly enchanted carpet might get shy on Thursdays and roll itself up into the corner, and need to coaxed out with promises that everyone will keep their shoes off. That sort of thing.

20. haphnepls

haphnepls Seventh Year

I think one has to take into consideration that it was Arthur Weasley who said that. Because of his job, he frequently encounters dangerous enchanted items that may do cruel, unusual, or harmful things do their users so it is natural that he warns his children about such items. Even his own car is an example of an enchantment gone wrong so it's not that bad of a advice.

Portraits in Hogwarts are not a very good example because surely the staff checked them before putting them in their school, but one could argue that even they might be dangerous if you're not careful. Skilled wizards might enchant or teach them to do something nasty, be it saying wrong information or leading you into danger.

So if you see something that speaks, acts oddly, or do things it is not supposed to do, you should definitely approach it warily. If it is known to be harmless (portraits in Hogwarts) then cool, but anything you see for the first time that is not ministry approved or whatever should be checked before used. Constant vigilance!