1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

JoaT^2 15er - A Mafia Game

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What is the reasoning for this strategy?

2. Wiisp

Wiisp Muggle

Not really? I never understood all the reasoning behind having 1 or both joats claim day 1.

3. Dels

Dels Muggle

But you have met townies before who start page 1 off with wordy reads based on entrances before, haven't you?

4. Dels

Dels Muggle

Can you say why?

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think it could actually be interesting, even though it may seem counterintuitive as it exposes the JOATs to a higher chance of dying during the night. However, we have two doc abilities and in this setup the mafia have to be very careful not to attack the JOATs at the wrong time and risk being spotted and confirmed as wolves.

6. Dels

Dels Muggle

I agree that I like Sloth. Just right off the bat seeming like they are driving discussion in a town way and able to provide reads with depth. By extension, I like TerRaine for giving their own +1 to Sloth.

I am just immediately reminded of why I always love Fonti's style. Her questions feel incisive and her matter-of-fact speaking style never has any of, uh, I guess what you'd call a scum "flourish" (i.e. performativeness to it) Feels solve-y. I'm aware she probably can and does fake this as a wolf though. And yes I realize she has literally asked just one question so far, but it was a towny question okay.

7. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Not really. Hipfire reads, sure, but anything that's more than like two sentences on page one gets a sideye from me.

8. Paratroopa

Paratroopa Muggle

I remember, sorry I wasn't able to defend you in that game on account of me not being there for EOD1. I'm pretty sure I just forgot it was EOD and thought it was the next day. I did think you were town in that game.

I don't take contrarian positions just to be contrarian - this is probably more worth an article than it is a quick post during a mafia game, but the long and short of it is that I think that people have a very hard time wolfreading players who are active, thoughtful, and most of all cooperative, even when all of these things are being faked (and aren't as hard to fake as some people think), and have a very easy time wolfreading people who are stubborn, capricious, or not doing much, even though all of these things are frequently the domain of town players. It probably doesn't apply as much to a game where everyone knows each other fairly well and plays the game a fair bit, which is good, because it's dumb that I have to punish people for being nice and reward them for being obstinate little shits, but so it goes.

9. Dels

Dels Muggle

Vote: Rubicon

10. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

So why did you say questions, plural?

I know the answer, but I want to hear you say it.

11. Paratroopa

Paratroopa Muggle

I like getting townread for just spouting off a bit of mafia theory by the way, keep doing it!

12. Dels

Dels Muggle

I find that a bit hard to believe since it is a very common townie style in my experience and would have you misvoting me in plenty of games, but okay, thanks for answering.

13. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I'm flattered.

I'll offer you my vote, as a thank you.

Vote: Rubicon

14. Dels

Dels Muggle

It felt like more than one at the time, lol. It was only after I started writing that that I went to look at her ISO to see if it was more than one and added the last sentence. And also just generally since I'm speaking under the assumption that if she's town, it's one question among many town questions she's asked in her lifetime.

15. Paratroopa

Paratroopa Muggle

Were you actually under the impression that Vaimes really thinks I'm town based on my first few posts? I was under the impression that Vaimes is just being playfully buddy-buddy, not anything substantive.

16. Paratroopa

Paratroopa Muggle

If I am stupid for believing that Cobalt doesn't have a wolfchat to remind him to post in this game, please tell me, I don't want to be stupid.

17. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

As of recent (meaning the past year or so), it seems like people keep reads, serious or not, pretty short at least within the first 50 posts or so. I myself have given strong/serious RVS reads, but even then it's not like I had a lot to say about them.

I guess it's a mildly good look that you went ahead and did the thing I shaded two other players for already.

18. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

I was worried because the underlined was the answer I was looking for.

You pass!

19. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

To clarify: I was worried because your first few sentences didn't have that answer and I thought maybe you were bullshitting me.

20. Dels

Dels Muggle

To be clear, btw, the question she asked is not the one with the question mark at the end of it. (Probably doesn't need clarifying, but just in case)